• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If you believe the Earth is flat, post here.

If you believe that the Earth is flat this thread is for you.
I have no opinion in this matter. But there are a lot of compelling reasons to believe that the Earth is flat. So it's important to look at both sides of the argument. I prefer to believe that the Earth is flat but I don't really know. It's just a good thing to look at both sides of the argument, and you really can't do that in the other thread.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
apollo8_earth_sm.jpg

EARTH.NASA-3.jpg

I trust NASA, the Russians and our GPS to say - earth is not flat :p

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
None of them are ;)

And if you ask why there are no stars in 1st picture taken from moon - google it ;) There's VERY obvious explanation to it ;-)

250px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

Our GPS/Satellites system orbits the earth and so we get signals etc.

If Earth was flat - it couldnt orbit :D

May 7, 2009
Visit site
The Earth is flat, it has passed 500 tests stating this.
Anyone claiming the Earth is not flat has an axe to grind.
Those pictures showing a round earth are faked for the purpose of this witch hunt.

Even if the Earth was a globe, all other planets in the solar system are globes, so does it even matter? Level playing field.

A

Anonymous

LaFlorecita said:
What kind of proof is this. Do you also believe a pancake is not flat, just because it is circular?

Exactly.

pizza.jpg

A

Anonymous

Deagol said:
Those pictures showing a round earth are faked for the purpose of this witch hunt.

Even if the Earth was a globe, all other planets in the solar system are globes, so does it even matter? Level playing field.

It's unconstitutional for the earth to be round. The French despise a flat earth. I like a flat earth's credibility. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a proven liar... and I remind you... if you'll do your due diligence you will see that the earth is, in fact, flat.

That is all.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So if Earth is flat, where's our core ? Why earthquakes happen ?

Explain, because so far you have zero facts :)

While I can find you thousands.

Where are the huge burn holes left by the rising and setting of the sun and stars? If the earth is flat and has an edge, where is it?

(1) The Moon

Now that humanity knows quite positively that the Moon is not a piece of cheese or a playful god, the phenomena that accompany it (from its monthly cycles to lunar eclipses) are well-explained. It was quite a mystery to the ancient Greeks, though, and in their quest for knowledge, they came up with a few insightful observations that helped humanity figure out the shape of our planet.

Aristotle (who made quite a lot of observations about the spherical nature of the Earth) noticed that during lunar eclipses (when the Earth’s orbit places it directly between the Sun and the Moon, creating a shadow in the process), the shadow on the Moon’s surface is round. This shadow is the Earth’s, and it’s a great clue on the spherical shape of the Earth.

Since the earth is rotating (see the “Foucault Pendulum” experiment for a definite proof, if you are doubtful), the consistent oval-shadow it produces in each and every lunar eclipse proves that the earth is not only round but spherical – absolutely, utterly, beyond a shadow of a doubt not flat.

(2) Ships and the Horizon

If you’ve been next to a port lately, or just strolled down a beach and stared off vacantly into the horizon, you might have, perhaps, noticed a very interesting phenomenon: approaching ships do not just “appear” out of the horizon (like they should have if the world was flat), but rather emerge from beneath the sea.

But – you say – ships do not submerge and rise up again as they approach our view (except in “Pirates of the Caribbean”, but we are hereby assuming that was a fictitious movie). The reason ships appear as if they “emerge from the waves” is because the world is not flat: it’s round.

Imagine an ant walking along the surface of an orange, into your field of view. If you look at the orange “head on”, you will see the ant’s body slowly rising up from the “horizon”, because of the curvature of the Orange. If you would do that experiment with a long road, the effect would have changed: The ant would have slowly ‘materialized’ into view, depending on how sharp your vision is.

Seeing Farther from Higher

Standing in a flat plateau, you look ahead of you towards the horizon. You strain your eyes, then take out your favorite binoculars and stare through them, as far as your eyes (with the help of the binocular lenses) can see.

Then, you climb up the closest tree – the higher the better, just be careful not to drop those binoculars and break their lenses. You then look again, strain your eyes, stare through the binoculars out to the horizon.

The higher up you are the farther you will see. Usually, we tend to relate this to Earthly obstacles, like the fact we have houses or other trees obstructing our vision on the ground, and climbing upwards we have a clear view, but that’s not the true reason. Even if you would have a completely clear plateau with no obstacles between you and the horizon, you would see much farther from greater height than you would on the ground.

This phenomena is caused by the curvature of the Earth as well, and would not happen if the Earth was flat:

flatroundvision12-300x145.jpg

flatroundvision22-300x115.jpg

But maybe I shouldn't post here at all. In fact, I believe. Earth isn't flat :p

Gloin22 said:

Where are the huge burn holes left by the rising and setting of the sun and stars? If the earth is flat and has an edge, where is it?

To answer your last question first, please look at the picture that Scott posted. You can clearly the edge, just past the crust.
In answer to your other queries I can only say how sad for you that you can't believe in miracles.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I believe in miracles .

But why would I want Earth to be flat anyway ? What difference does it make ? And we know it isn't... ( most of us )

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
I threw a pebble at a piece of paper to simulate an asteroid strike. The surface of the paper rippled, much like an earthquake.

I can only conclude that the piece of paper is in fact round.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

(1) The Moon

Now that humanity knows quite positively that the Moon is not a piece of cheese or a playful god, the phenomena that accompany it (from its monthly cycles to lunar eclipses) are well-explained. It was quite a mystery to the ancient Greeks, though, and in their quest for knowledge, they came up with a few insightful observations that helped humanity figure out the shape of our planet.

Aristotle (who made quite a lot of observations about the spherical nature of the Earth) noticed that during lunar eclipses (when the Earth’s orbit places it directly between the Sun and the Moon, creating a shadow in the process), the shadow on the Moon’s surface is round. This shadow is the Earth’s, and it’s a great clue on the spherical shape of the Earth.

Since the earth is rotating (see the “Foucault Pendulum” experiment for a definite proof, if you are doubtful), the consistent oval-shadow it produces in each and every lunar eclipse proves that the earth is not only round but spherical – absolutely, utterly, beyond a shadow of a doubt not flat.

(2) Ships and the Horizon

If you’ve been next to a port lately, or just strolled down a beach and stared off vacantly into the horizon, you might have, perhaps, noticed a very interesting phenomenon: approaching ships do not just “appear” out of the horizon (like they should have if the world was flat), but rather emerge from beneath the sea.

But – you say – ships do not submerge and rise up again as they approach our view (except in “Pirates of the Caribbean”, but we are hereby assuming that was a fictitious movie). The reason ships appear as if they “emerge from the waves” is because the world is not flat: it’s round.

Imagine an ant walking along the surface of an orange, into your field of view. If you look at the orange “head on”, you will see the ant’s body slowly rising up from the “horizon”, because of the curvature of the Orange. If you would do that experiment with a long road, the effect would have changed: The ant would have slowly ‘materialized’ into view, depending on how sharp your vision is.

Seeing Farther from Higher

Standing in a flat plateau, you look ahead of you towards the horizon. You strain your eyes, then take out your favorite binoculars and stare through them, as far as your eyes (with the help of the binocular lenses) can see.

Then, you climb up the closest tree – the higher the better, just be careful not to drop those binoculars and break their lenses. You then look again, strain your eyes, stare through the binoculars out to the horizon.

The higher up you are the farther you will see. Usually, we tend to relate this to Earthly obstacles, like the fact we have houses or other trees obstructing our vision on the ground, and climbing upwards we have a clear view, but that’s not the true reason. Even if you would have a completely clear plateau with no obstacles between you and the horizon, you would see much farther from greater height than you would on the ground.

This phenomena is caused by the curvature of the Earth as well, and would not happen if the Earth was flat:

flatroundvision12-300x145.jpg

flatroundvision22-300x115.jpg

But maybe I shouldn't post here at all. In fact, I believe. Earth isn't flat :p

Hater !!!!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:

But you can´t ignore that in 1999, there were 7 tests that showed the earth is indeed round. Plus some cover up in 2001 happened. That year, a test in swiss showed that the earth is round. They just threw it under the carpet.

Deagol said:

Good post.
ZnqQ5.gif

Scott SoCal said:
It's unconstitutional for the earth to be round. The French despise a flat earth. I like a flat earth's credibility. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a proven liar... and I remind you... if you'll do your due diligence you will see that the earth is, in fact, flat.

That is all.

And who says the earth is round, or spherical, isn't worth the chair you're sitting on.

I will never forgive you for that.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Why would the Earth lie about being flat and thereby run the risk of being exposed as the biggest fraud of geology? Doesn't make sense, does it? The Earth wouldn't be that stupid. It's flat. Period.