• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Il Lombardia 2019, one day classic, October 12

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Isn't the beauty about the classics that the most powerful rider doesn't always win?

It's about tactical sense and your ability to read the race as well.
Cycling's about the head and the legs. Mollema used his head to make a well-timed attack on the Civiglio (after good work by Skujins and Ciccone before) and used his legs to stay clear of a disorganised chase.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
Bro this was obviously a joke, it's this running gag about Mollemas riding style. I like Mollema in fact, just his riding looks atrocious.

You seem to be kind of obsessed with it.
Besides, Mollema's riding style isn't that bad. I mean… come one! Have you seen Chris Anker Sørensen on a bike? Have you seen Chris Froome on a bike?
There are probably others - also some not named 'Chris' - with a worse style than Mollema.

It's splendid to see an eternal subtop rider finally catch that one big fish. Maybe he wasn't the strongest, but he was definitely the smartest, and strong enough to stay away. His fighting spirit and tactical gumption have been rewarded.

I didn't even give him one star before the race, because I thought, he's always top 10 but never wins. Today he finally managed to turn that around.

Funny you mention Dan Martin. Exactly same generation as Mollema, battled each other in many races. Martin being more succesful due to his explosiveness in classics. Mollema better in GT's due to sheer willpower / refusal to give up. And yet they still won similar races as well.

EGsVkT8XYAA94qq

Faster than Nibs/Pinot 17/19

Who said Mollema "got" the win?

TRENDING THREADS