• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Impey cleared of doping - free to race

Shortly before the pharmacist served Impey, he had dispensed Probenecid to another customer. His hands had contaminated Impey’s capsules. At the hearing, till slips showing time and purchase from the pharmacy convinced the hearing Impey had not ingested the substance on purpose.

So, when Mr. Impey handled the capsules some more, filling the capsules with baking soda, he managed to keep all the probenecid on the capsule. If it's true, wow. if it's not, it's brilliant.

Here's a fun story: http://articles.latimes.com/1988-10-11/sports/sp-3879_1_bill-green

DopeVendor. Get an excuse. $5 a pop.
2013-03-24-novelidea1.jpg

Guaranteed or your money back.

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
What an absolute bull**** story, it is up their with Simoni's cocaine sweeties, maybe even better. It also sets a precedent as a means to an excuse for any doping positive. Just make sure you went to a pharmacy to buy something else the day before and have the pharmacist concoct a story that he was handling your desired doping product earlier that day.

As others have said, surely this is heading for CAS.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
What a story. Would have been even better if a dog eating something could be worked in. Perhaps the pharmacist has a hand washing diary but a dog ate it so he didn't know his hands were filthy.

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
SundayRider said:
Dan Martin tweeted that this was - 'great news to wake up to'.

And this is (still) the problem with this sport. No-one seems willing to stand up and call bulls*** when it's as obvious as this.

Let's be fair, you can't expect everyone to understand that this is rubbish, even cyclists. Dan Martin is reacting to someone being cleared and most would assume that the excuse had been properly questioned and is water tight. He should know better and probably shouldn't have said anything at all, but let's not accuse him of something he may not be doing.

I hope the pharmacist has reported this to all the relevant authorities. The possibility of cross-contamination is a serious risk, whether it was his fault or not...! :rolleyes: Although, I'm pretty sure we all know that he won't have...

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
So this version of events is impossible?
Cross contamination can't happen?

Assuming the receipts/audit trail from the pharmacists record corroborates the story is that not reasonable doubt?

Why would the pharmacist get his hands on the substance in the first place? I don't think I can buy anything in a pharmacy that is not packed in capsules and boxes. For obvious reasons. I guess in South Africa pharmacies are maybe like frontier grocery stores where they keep stuff in barrels and sacks.

TRENDING THREADS