• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Initial Top 10 for the TDF

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
Menchov... much lower
Levi... non-existent
Samu... higher
shortened #10 spot

I was just listing names for everyone, just in case they forgot about any other contenders. ( though i forgot Valverde )

I think Levi could surprise and i think Menchov should get all factors right. I do agree with the Samu higher bit especially as he does have a good ITT.

SHAD0W93 said:
Kreuziger

Kreuziger is doing the Giro/ Vuelta. It leaves leadership in Astana to be between Vino, Brajkovic and Kessiakoff.

My tip for the team classification is Sky. Wiggins, Froome, Uran, Henao, Rogers, EBH ( breaks ), Porte ensure they shall get some high placings on stage. Also Cav.

Contenders also include RSNT ( mountains and ITT ), BMC ( Evans, Gilbert, Hushovd for stages ) and maybe Astana and OPQS.

Ripper said:
Smoking something? Check out the course ... if there is someone who TTs much worse than Andy, it is VdB. Much, much worse. This scenario will work out if "clinic" and if lots of other folks crash out.

The course does indeed blow, but it's far harder than you, Ferminal and ACF give it credit for, IMO.

VDB's 2nd place "prediction" was silly, though, but I expect a "surprise" performance from him yes. His 2009 Tour TTs were only marginally worse than Andy's, by the way.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
The course does indeed blow, but it's far harder than you, Ferminal and ACF give it credit for, IMO.

VDB's 2nd place "prediction" was silly, though, but I expect a "surprise" performance from him yes. His 2009 Tour TTs were only marginally worse than Andy's, by the way.

Hey, I actually rate the route quite highly but it will be hard for the pure climbers to get massive time on Planche des Belle Filles, La Tousuirre or Peyragudes unless they go a long way out which is very risky. Schleck's, VDB and Gesink are going to find it hard to get into the top 10 with guys like Wiggins, Evans, Menchov and possibly Contador racing.

auscyclefan94 said:
Hey, I actually rate the route quite highly but it will be hard for the pure climbers to get massive time on Planche des Belle Filles, La Tousuirre or Peyragudes unless they go a long way out which is very risky. Schleck's, VDB and Gesink are going to find it hard to get into the top 10 with guys like Wiggins, Evans, Menchov and possibly Contador racing.
There's still 6 more spots in the top-10... the Tour is always a hard race, no matter what the course. Maybe Schleck can't win it, but after all he got 2nd in that 2009 travesty, so why not now.

Why people have Gesink in their lists I don't really understand though, I don't see him having the fitness and racing toughness to compete. Has anyone ever made the top-10 with a metal pin in their leg?

theyoungest said:
There's still 6 more spots in the top-10... the Tour is always a hard race, no matter what the course. Maybe Schleck can't win it, but after all he got 2nd in that 2009 travesty, so why not now.

Why people have Gesink in their lists I don't really understand though, I don't see him having the fitness and racing toughness to compete. Has anyone ever made the top-10 with a metal pin in their leg?

I put him on 2 waiting for someone to call me an idiot. I should've put him on 1 though, because nobody is calling me an idiot yet :(

Kwibus said:
1. Contador
2. Gesink
3. Evans
4. Wiggins
5. A. Schleck
6. S. Sanchez
7. Nibali
8. Menchov
9. Mollema
10. Froome

:eek: A guy with a metal plate in his leg is going to finish second in the tour. Are you an idiot?

p.s. Apart from that, it looks quite similar to my prediction :eek:.

Is that better? ;)

18-Valve. (pithy) said:

Are you thinking that Andy, under Bruyneel's "tutelage" will pull a Michael Rassmussen, circa 2007, and suddenly become pretty good versus the clock?

May 14, 2009
Visit site
1. Contador
2. Wiggins
3. Evans
4. Klöden
5. S. Sanchez
6. A. Schleck
7. Menchov
8. Rolland
9. D. Martin
10. Mollema

F. Schleck to crash out.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:

Yeah but he came 15th in that TDF. Up until the Dauphine this year he had not won a race as a pro. That shows you how much he attacks. And riders like Shleck when they attack, their attacks are more effective.

JVDB problem is he always sits 2nd wheel, to make him look strong. What he should focus on is doing Evanns/ Nibali clawing back tactics rather than blowing up his dogged riding style.

I think if he improves his ITT he might top 5 but i doubt it. He would need a lot of crashes and all out war in the mountains ( which will happen )

@ Skidmark; lol i forgot about Kashackin. I don't know what he can achieve but he is ok against the clock. Hopefully he gets back into good form. I would still expect him to have to do work for Brajkovic and Vino and Kessiakoff ( if he rides ).

greenedge said:
Kreuziger is doing the Giro/ Vuelta. It leaves leadership in Astana to be between Vino, Brajkovic and Kessiakoff.

My tip for the team classification is Sky. Wiggins, Froome, Uran, Henao, Rogers, EBH ( breaks ), Porte ensure they shall get some high placings on stage. Also Cav.

Contenders also include RSNT ( mountains and ITT ), BMC ( Evans, Gilbert, Hushovd for stages ) and maybe Astana and OPQS.

Well than he will top 10 both :D

18-Valve. (pithy) said:

I did not say the course blew or that it was easy. I know it is hard. However, it does not have that many MTFs, which is where the purest climbers can make an impact. We've already seen the net gain of the early attack this year.

What has VDB done against the clock in a long TT.

Ripper said:
I did not say the course blew or that it was easy. I know it is hard. However, it does not have that many MTFs, which is where the purest climbers can make an impact. We've already seen the net gain of the early attack this year.

What has VDB done against the clock in a long TT.

The Galibier and Alpe d'Huez stages were badly designed in that regard and penalized early attacks by their very designs. Next year's edition offers better opportunities despite the weaker course.

VDB's TT record is known. He sucked really bad in recent years, excluding this year's Dauphine TT. He changed his position which didn't help matters much. They are working to correct that mistake. He was a decent TTer before and shouldn't lose too much time to the likes of Andy Schleck or Vincenzo Nibali.

Ranking based on posts made, same way of giving points as the earlier ranking made by Hugo Koblet (1st place = 10pts, 10th place = 1pt)

Up to and including Hartog's post, it looks like this:

1. Contador: 8.63
2. Evans: 8.03
3. A. Schleck: 6.19
4. Wiggins: 6.03
5. Sanchez: 5.25
6. Menchov: 5.16
7. Nibali: 3.63
8. Klöden: 1.72
9. F. Schleck: 1.69
9. Gesink: 1.69
10. VDB: 1.56
11. Leipheimer: 0.69
12. Horner: 0.50
12. Froome: 0.50
13. Vande Velde: 0.44
13. Rolland: 0.44
14. Scarponi: 0.31
14. Velits: 0.31
15. Danielson: 0.28
15. Valverde: 0.28
16. Brajkovic: 0.19
16. Peraud: 0.19
16. Taaramae: 0.19
17. Kreuziger: 0.16
18. Monfort: 0.13
18. Voeckler: 0.13
19. Mollema: 0.09
20. T. Martin: 0.06
20. D. Martin: 0.06
21. Kruijswijk: 0.03
21. Porte: 0.03
21. Cancellara: 0.03
21. Uran: 0.03
21. Talansky: 0.03
21. Van Garderen: 0.03
21. Pinot: 0.03

A

Anonymous

Valverde
Ricco*
Armstrong**
Cobo
Contador*
Baby Schleck**
Schleck the Elder
Tom Danielson
Bottle
Chris Horner

*if they ride
** depending of if andy gets busted for doping and lance comes out of retirement to take his place