• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Footon Unbeatable?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I realize everyone was a little worried last week when we found out that Footon-Servetto's team would only include eight first-time riders, so it's a huge relief to know that the team has finally started to take things seriously and send a team that's 9-for-9 on n00bs.

I think basically everyone who knows what's what in cycling now agrees that Footon represents Le Tour's most dominant team. My question for the forum is: if the "boys in brown" take all 20 stages (which seems entirely possible) is this good for cycling?

Sure, everyone remembers the thrill of the spring of 2007 with Aitor Pérez's magical 32nd place finish in the Giro, and the absolute rush that came with Iban Mayoz's dominance of the 2008 Euskal Bizikleta sprint classification, but can a team this dominant really be good for the sport?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
I realize everyone was a little worried last week when we found out that Footon-Servetto's team would only include eight first-time riders, so it's a huge relief to know that the team has finally started to take things seriously and send a team that's 9-for-9 on n00bs.

I think basically everyone who knows what's what in cycling now agrees that Footon represents Le Tour's most dominant team. My question for the forum is: if the "boys in brown" take all 20 stages (which seems entirely possible) is this good for cycling?

Sure, everyone remembers the thrill of the spring of 2007 with Aitor Pérez's magical 32nd place finish in the Giro, and the absolute rush that came with Iban Mayoz's dominance of the 2008 Euskal Bizikleta sprint classification, but can a team this dominant really be good for the sport?

So, do you think Perez will be allowed to escape or will he be considered a threat for the GC?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
So, do you think Perez will be allowed to escape or will he be considered a threat for the GC?

Are you kidding? When we talk about Aitor, we talk about a guy who won a stage of the GP Internacional do Oeste RTP as recently as 2005. I find it highly unlikely that the peloton would let a guy with those palmarés see any time in a break.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Fabio Felline will make you eat your words, my friend.

Maybe not this year....maybe not in the next 4....but he'll be a star one day.
I'm dead serious.

Matthias Brändle also has a reasonable chance of being a top class rider.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Only 20 stages? Won't they win the prologue, too? Or will they let someone else win, so they don't have to defend yellow too long?

Susan

I'll admit that at first I dismissed your comment out of hand. The notion that Footon wouldn't nab the "mellow johnny" at the earliest possible opportunity seemed laughable to me, quite honestly. Bet now I see your point: the only color in the peloton more beautiful than Credit Lyonnais Yellow is Footon-Servetto Brown.

I think this kind of jokes are unpleasant. Take this team seriously, please.

It's true, the entire team is going to ride her first Tour de France, but it's Matxin's chance, and for me is respectable. You know, Footon-Servetto had seriously problems in order to be able to show a new roster in 2010. To do it, they needed some young riders - it's a risk, but it's also an opportunity to all of them.

OK, probably they won't win a stage or put somebody in the top15, but they'll fight and they have some riders to shine in la Grande Boucle. Make it sure.

Do you know Fabio Felline (20 yo, Circuit de Lorraine winner over more experienced riders)? And Manuel Cardoso (good sprinter, Tour Down Under stage winner)? Rafa Valls (Tour San Luis mountain stage winner over Nibali, Kolobnev and a lot of South-American climbers), Markus Eibegger (good Giro d'Italia for this climber)?

Did you see how Eros Capecchi and Arkaitz Durán ride in Critérium du Dauphiné? They have a really serious 9-line up. Seriously ;)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
I'll admit that at first I dismissed your comment out of hand. The notion that Footon wouldn't nab the "mellow johnny" at the earliest possible opportunity seemed laughable to me, quite honestly. Bet now I see your point: the only color in the peloton more beautiful than Credit Lyonnais Yellow is Footon-Servetto Brown.

I'm almost hoping now that Footon wins every jersey there is and keeps it throughout the whole race, because their own kits are so *** ****** fugly.

Well, that, or they all crash out in the prologue.

issoisso said:
Maybe not this year....maybe not in the next 4....but he'll be a star one day.
I'm dead serious.

Matthias Brändle also has a reasonable chance of being a top class rider.
I'm serious as well. He's gone mostly under the radar in these times of Sagan sublimity, but he's the same age, and these two will share world dominance between them.

A.Rabadan said:
I think this kind of jokes are unpleasant. Take this team seriously, please.

It's true, the entire team is going to ride her first Tour de France, but it's Matxin's chance, and for me is respectable. You know, Footon-Servetto had seriously problems in order to be able to show a new roster in 2010. To do it, they needed some young riders - it's a risk, but it's also an opportunity to all of them.

OK, probably they won't win a stage or put somebody in the top15, but they'll fight and they have some riders to shine in la Grande Boucle. Make it sure.

Do you know Fabio Felline (20 yo, Circuit de Lorraine winner over more experienced riders)? And Manuel Cardoso (good sprinter, Tour Down Under stage winner)? Rafa Valls (Tour San Luis mountain stage winner over Nibali, Kolobnev and a lot of South-American climbers), Markus Eibegger (good Giro d'Italia for this climber)?

Did you see how Eros Capecchi and Arkaitz Durán ride in Critérium du Dauphiné? They have a really serious 9-line up. Seriously ;)
We all know they wouldn't ride the Tour if it wasn't for the deal they signed a few years ago. That's a fact, so be happy they're allowed to participate, and don't bitch when people think this team is a bit of a joke.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
But you are forgetting the possibility that the peloton may not have a choice in the matter. Aitor is obviously so strong that he will be able to take off and no one will be able to follow.

Susan

So... I can't disagree with you as this is a distinct-- if not strong-- possibility. It's fairly well-known in the peloton that "Aitor gets what Aitor wants". As members and fans of the sport, we have to take ourselves back to the original question: is the uncontestable can of aerobic whoopass that Aitor Gonzalez is about to open on the roads of France good for cycling?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
haters-gonna-hate.gif

theyoungest said:
We all know they wouldn't ride the Tour if it wasn't for the deal they signed a few years ago. That's a fact, so be happy they're allowed to participate, and don't bitch when people think this team is a bit of a joke.

OK, probably without the ProTour teams' deal with the GT's organizators they shouldn't be riding rhis TdF but I know they WOULD ride the three GT's and they get it. Anything more.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
I'm almost hoping now that Footon wins every jersey there is and keeps it throughout the whole race, because their own kits are so *** ****** fugly.

Well, that, or they all crash out in the prologue.

First Item: contained within this statement is the presumption that Footon will be able to find its way to the prologue in the first place.

Second Item: Can we start the phrase: "I can't wait to get my Footon Suit-On"?*

*I really don't know how to pronounce "Footon". In my head this rhymes.

Barrus said:
Does anyone actually know why Chuela was kicked of the team? So far his season seemed to go quite reasonable

Giampaolo is upset with team's sportive desition, but they let him out of Tour's line-up due to a very hard year of racing (he has ridden since January without stopping). He's riding Tour of Austria.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Does anyone actually know why Chuela was kicked of the team? So far his season seemed to go quite reasonable

Sorry, but when you're talking about a team that boasts a victory in the 2009 GP Miguel Indurain as its most recent result... "quite reasonable" isn't going to cut it.

EDIT: though "comically young" will cut it, apparently.

A

Anonymous

ilillillli said:

Well, my theory is that the colors of their jerseys are more conducive to them winning every stage of the Vuelta. Stay with me here, see, in France, there is lots of green and other colors. The Vuelta on the other hand, races through many dry sparsely vegetated landscapes with few spectators out on the course. Now, when you look at the color of the Footon jersey, you will see that it is actually camouflage, but only for sparsely vegetated landscapes. Obviously, when you have unknowns in camouflage, they can sprint right off the front and not only will you not see them, but who cares, right? They're n00bs. Its brilliant. And even if the road is long and straight, no problem with the hunter/chase phenomenon of the hunter moving in when it see's its prey. They will never see it. Its the perfect plan. Simply brilliant.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
when you're talking about a team that boasts a victory in the 2009 GP Miguel Indurain as its most recent result

If you can't fact check adequately, don't count on being given much credence ;)

Thoughtforfood said:
Well, my theory is that the colors of their jerseys are more conducive to them winning every stage of the Vuelta. Stay with me here, see, in France, there is lots of green and other colors. The Vuelta on the other hand, races through many dry sparsely vegetated landscapes with few spectators out on the course. Now, when you look at the color of the Footon jersey, you will see that it is actually camouflage, but only for sparsely vegetated landscapes. Obviously, when you have unknowns in camouflage, they can sprint right off the front and not only will you not see them, but who cares, right? They're n00bs. Its brilliant. And even if the road is long and straight, no problem with the hunter/chase phenomenon of the hunter moving in when it see's its prey. They will never see it. Its the perfect plan. Simply brilliant.

Spain only looks like that in September, so if Guillén gets his wish of the Vuelta back in April again...

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
If you can't fact check adequately, don't count on being given much credence ;)

I stand corrected. Rafael Valls did nail down 23rd overall at this year's Tour de Suisse. The Tour podium is essentially in the bank.

A

Anonymous

A.Rabadan said:
I think this kind of jokes are unpleasant.

"Unpleasant" describes the itch one gets when they ride too many days in the same shorts and doesn't wash them as thoroughly as one should. That post was what is called "funny" where I live

A.Rabadan said:
Take this team seriously, please.

Nope. I will take them seriously when they win something of importance. I mean, according to Wikipedia, they have a rider from the US named Jim Beam, and another from Australia named Johnnie Walker. I mean, they have a built in joke just existing. It only gets funnier as you expand.

TRENDING THREADS