• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Lance riding clean(er)?

A

Anonymous

So was today Lance a clean lance, a rider so scared by the current investigations, so worried by WADA overseeing the tour testing, so worried about AFDL and French police that he hasnt hit the blood this tour, and today we saw the REAL lance armstrong.

Or is he simply a washed up old man?

For me today was proof that Lance has been doping in the past, the fanboys of course are still in denial.. twitter is histerical today, this one particularly caught my eye..

alisontaylor @lancearmstrong Great ride! U looked strong,in spite
of the falls! U will get back up there-U r the most courageous,fit,intelligent athlete!
44 minutes ago via web in reply to lancearmstrong

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lance is clean(er) than Wiggins that much is obvious to me.

But Lance is as dirty as ever.
The magic PED "Lance Blood" is still coursing through his veins.
Only a little bit leaked out of his leg and elbow today.

Judging by the massive weight loss and the sudden changes in form before the Tour, I think he obviously "prepared" for the Tour. With all the investigations, he may have decided that it was not worth risking doing anything during the Tour.

His recovery methods may be total crap compared to what he is used to. He is from an era when riders recovered with IVs of fluids and lipids, HGH, testosterone, and god knows what else. It must be a completely different sport if those guys try to recover without help.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
before we answer this question definitively, lets hear out the spin machine and then evaluate another relevant question, will texas ride for leipheimer now and in what condition he he'll be after the rest day.

this question is important for the team sponsor and thus whether he'll use ped.

possible answers are:
-no he wont b/c he is a self absorbed prijck and would rather quit
-yes he will b/c he needs to salvage his image
-no he wont b/c he's seriously injured (or lies he is) and needs to exit
-yes he will b/c he needs to keep all those potential witnesses humbled
-yes he will b/c he owes levi

of all those answers i think the last is least probable and the first most probable.

A

Anonymous

I think lance is so self obsessed he will ride to Paris, and go up and down the champs taking all the plaudits and trying to turn the final stage into a lance armstrong worshipping ride rather than a celebration of the tour that it really should be.

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Since Contador faltered on this last stage I have to wonder if this is a cleaner tour all around. I'm not passing judgment until after the rest day to see who, if anyone, topped off their tank. Time will tell.

I think Lance will find a way out of this tour because I don't think he's even begun to unravel.

velosopher54 said:
Since Contador faltered on this last stage I have to wonder if this is a cleaner tour all around. I'm not passing judgment until after the rest day to see who, if anyone, topped off their tank. Time will tell.

I think Lance will find a way out of this tour because I don't think he's even begun to unravel.

I am not far from sharing your point of view after watching yesterday and today's stages.

Today Schleck climbed Morzine-Avoriaz ( the last 13.8km) in 34:30 more or less.
That's 1:30 slower than Hinault in his winning TT that started in Thonon and finished in Avoriaz ( was in 78 or 79)

It is also about 3:00 slower than Ugrumov on the 94 TT that started in Cluses and ended in Avoriaz.
( And it's only 8:00 faster than me when I was about 50 years old :))

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Judging by the massive weight loss and the sudden changes in form before the Tour, I think he obviously "prepared" for the Tour. With all the investigations, he may have decided that it was not worth risking doing anything during the Tour.

His recovery methods may be total crap compared to what he is used to. He is from an era when riders recovered with IVs of fluids and lipids, HGH, testosterone, and god knows what else. It must be a completely different sport if those guys try to recover without help.

He's also showing the signs of someone that didn't prepare for 3 weeks of racing. The question is, did he ever intend to seriously contest this event or was it part of a major endorsement cash-in? I think he'll continue with something made of his lingering injuries and attempt a showy, unselfish turn as Levi's domestique; probably for several more days. He didn't have it today but, moreover; didn't look like he cared.

i think armstrong was prepped as ever at the start of the tour -- his prologue shows that.

his steady deterioration though shows he has not been getting his top-offs since entering france.

this is the armstrong pre-ferrari. the one day racer who couldn't recover and can't climb the high mountains.

he is even a shadow of the guy from last year -- when we know he benefitted from a complicit uci.

it's also interesting to see radioshack unravel much as disco did during the first week of 2006 after OP.

thank you TDF for not scheduling the blood day until after the first mountain skirmishes. they seemed to always time them perfectly before every major rendez-vous.

now it will be interesting to see what happens post blood day.

i believe -- that without a top off -- armstrong will be 20-30 mins down on mountain stages and...will not finish the tour.

Oh yeah, he could pull a Landis...
Lance though didn't bonk, just plain sokked.

Indeed looks like his form is dropping, as a normal form is supposed to, during a TdF. His prologue shows he did something right in the preparation, but the recovery looks weak. His helpers are simply better riders now.
Could be he hoped that the competition would go clean as well this year, or that they'd lose more speed than they did while doing so.

It's not for Lance to crash so much, yet the past 15 months or so, he seems to have done a lot. That would just point towards losing an edge, or be more physically tired while still looking all "Lance showing how it's done".

I'm thinking, he got tipped that he'd be tested on moment his tip men would be unable to let him know. That's be AWESOME fot the sport if true. So, Lance rode cleaner than usual, hoping the ride would be tame and the rest day good.

Please don't let him go into Paris using it like a big Lance tribute, thanks for all the great years... Luckily, this is France :)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Oh yeah, he could pull a Landis...
Lance though didn't bonk, just just sokked.

Indeed looks like his form is dropping, as a normal form is supposed to, during a TdF. His prologue shows he did something right in the preparation, but the recovery looks weak. His helpers are simply better riders now.
Could be he hoped that the competition would go clean as well this year, or that they'd lose more speed than they did while doing so.

It's not for Lance to crash so much, yet the past 15 months or so, he seems to have done a lot. That would just point towards losing an edge, or be more physically tired while still looking all "Lance showing how it's done".

I'm thinking, he got tipped that he'd be tested on moment his tip men would be unable to let him know. That's be AWESOME fot the sport if true. So, Lance rode cleaner than usual, hoping the ride would be tame and the rest day good.

Please don't let him go into Paris using it like a big Lance tribute, thanks for all the great years... Luckily, this is France :)[/QUOTE]
Does anyone remember the Tour introduction after LA's retirement? They scrolled through the history and completely ignored his period of wins instead referring to a "New age" or other nonsense. Vs might make a big deal of it because they're selling that old cheese but I can't see a) him making it to Paris b) anyone being all that interested two weeks from now.

Unless there is some legal explosion related to RS it might get quieter and quieter.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
So was today Lance a clean lance, a rider so scared by the current investigations, so worried by WADA overseeing the tour testing, so worried about AFDL and French police that he hasnt hit the blood this tour, and today we saw the REAL lance armstrong.

Or is he simply a washed up old man?

For me today was proof that Lance has been doping in the past, the fanboys of course are still in denial.. twitter is histerical today, this one particularly caught my eye..

alisontaylor @lancearmstrong Great ride! U looked strong,in spite
of the falls! U will get back up there-U r the most courageous,fit,intelligent athlete!
44 minutes ago via web in reply to lancearmstrong

Very good question. LA never raced well in the heat and without IV top off and ball patch to recover and at 38, he just may be old.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Give it up, Polish.

It's all over.

It's all over?

I think not lol

We still discuss Fausto and he hasn't ridden a Tour in over 50 years
Ditto with Eddy and his last Tour was way back in the 70's. Disco.

Even Berzin has fanboys to this day, and he never even WON a TdF on EPO.

Seriously, the Lance Fanboys can hardly wait until next year when the haters begin posting pictures of Lance in his mankini.

Looked to me like the crashes were a big relief to Armstrong - he knew he would lose and the crashes gave him the chance to lose without losing honour. Coming in battered and bruised at 11mins is better for the fanbois than 2mins after just getting dropped. After the third fall he looked ready to jump in the car, I think he would have been happy to be a little more cut up.

Interesting that he was struggling to hold onto Popovych et al even on the flat when first trying to get back.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Very good question. LA never raced well in the heat and without IV top off and ball patch to recover and at 38, he just may be old.
This is sadly how he looked:
mickey.jpg

Lady Luck

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Armstrong looked good yesterday whilst others in his team suffered. It's not fashionable to say it, but it may just be that having a crash and chasing up to the very front group is was tipped him over the edge. Sometimes the obvious can be true.

How he would have panned out over the three weeks is a different story. If he had made it to the rest day he might have been okay for awhile longer. Everybody really suffered today so they'd all be in the same boat.

I have to say, it doesn't look like AC will be breaking the power record or beating Canchellara in the ITT this year - in a way that is more telling to me. AC is not almost 39 so why the change in a year?

Lady Luck said:
Armstrong looked good yesterday whilst others in his team suffered. It's not fashionable to say it, but it may just be that having a crash and chasing up to the very front group is was tipped him over the edge. Sometimes the obvious can be true.

How he would have panned out over the three weeks is a different story. If he had made it to the rest day he might have been okay for awhile longer.

Yup. If he just could have made it to that rest day blood bag...

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
(1.)Those crashes were a conspiracy to get Lance out of the tour.
(2.)Crashed on purpose to save face.
(3.)Age takes away reflexes.Had more crashes today than in all the previous tours.
(4.)Was angry because Robin Williams won't let him use the private jet anymore.
(5.)Cheryl Crow put the hit on him.
(6.)B.P. blamed him for the oil debacle.
(7.)Got blood bag switched with some 75 year old geezer.
(8.)Help,I've fallen and can't get up!

TRENDING THREADS