• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is the UCI's Biological Passport flawed?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
So with the ridiculous amount of riders on antbiotics due to 'chest infections' - is this BELIEVEABLE and would it mask any anomolies in the BIOPASSPORT ??
a safe guess is there's a whole number of ways in which to 'fool' the bloodpassport.
this might be one of them.

William H said:
Well, this article says "The elite athlete has a potentially increased sensitivity to respiratory infections"

But I haven't read it in depth.

I believe I posted a study within the past week, do a simple google search, that showed they found no additional link of elite endurance athletes having a higher incidence of infections/illness that the general population.

So, out of 180 riders, I would assume a percentage of people getting ill would be in the realm of normal, in relation to the general population.

sniper said:
a safe guess is there's a whole number of ways in which to 'fool' the bloodpassport.
this might be one of them.

Get the TUE which is actually a drug mask and the UCI has a TUE on file for positives. TUE's would explain the 90+ urinalysis positives from UCI (and only the UCI, so very elite athletes) tested that never were sanctioned in 2013.

Also worth reminding the casual reader, there appears to be no automated process for testing for "too normal values" during a grand tour. Let's call it the Chris Horner trick.

Another reminder, T/E ratio limit is still ridiculous and the urine test easily defeated.

zigmeister said:
I believe I posted a study within the past week, do a simple google search, that showed they found no additional link of elite endurance athletes having a higher incidence of infections/illness that the general population.

So, out of 180 riders, I would assume a percentage of people getting ill would be in the realm of normal, in relation to the general population.

Specifically cyclists? Or just endurance athletes in general? Because most endurance athletes compete over a single day in, at least reasonably predictable conditions. Grand tour cyclists compete for three weeks in very variable conditions both day to day due to travel and even during a stage, especially when altitude is involved. Throw in a lack of sleep and constant interactions with a wide range of both team and hotel staff and I would not be surprised if infections are more common, spread very easily or both.

Not saying the paper you posted is wrong, I haven't seen it, it just may not be representative of this specific case.

Cycle Chic said:
So with the ridiculous amount of riders on antbiotics due to 'chest infections' - is this BELIEVEABLE and would it mask any anomolies in the BIOPASSPORT ??
Not sure how antibiotics could change or mask bio-passport values, they only target bacteria (good and bad) and can really knock you around as an added bonus (killing digestive bacteria effecting nutrient uptake). The conditions that the riders have had this TdF have been terrible at times, especially Stage 5 and 14, Rui Costa caught pneumonia FFS.

It would make perfect sense if it was Andy, but while I'd be happy if he went down, part of me would be worried by the implications. You ever doped? Better keep it up for the rest of your career just to avoid any irregularities. Not exactly the best incentive to stop.

That said, there's no other way.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
A link between the possibility that a lot or riders are scheduled to have to explain the variations in their passport and the fact that UCI will not release specifically the new positive cases?
To avoid too much noise?

hrotha said:
It would make perfect sense if it was Andy, but while I'd be happy if he went down, part of me would be worried by the implications. You ever doped? Better keep it up for the rest of your career just to avoid any irregularities. Not exactly the best incentive to stop.

Who says he stopped?
He was a lot better at the Tour than the rest of the season last year.

That said, with the time these cases take, it's quite possible he has been riding poorly because he was served a notice in early 2013

GuyIncognito said:
Who says he stopped?
He was a lot better at the Tour than the rest of the season last year.

That said, with the time these cases take, it's quite possible he has been riding poorly because he was served a notice in early 2013
I very much doubt he stopped, but when people think of Andy, "he doesn't charge like he used to" is one of the first theories that come to mind.

Race Radio said:
Lots of rumors flying around the Tour about more BioPassport cases coming soon....including a Grand Tour winner

This would be really great news no matter who the riders are. A flood of blood passport successful prosecutions to be added to the recent ones that have come out will only help to de-incentivize doping and help protect the riders who want to compete clean.

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
This would be really great news no matter who the riders are. A flood of blood passport successful prosecutions to be added to the recent ones that have come out will only help to de-incentivize doping and help protect the riders who want to compete clean.

Disagree
Whoever it is, they will certainly claim irregularities and/or technicalities, as always. Like Kreuziger, they will remain adamant that it's not a passport case and while this won't dismount the system as such, the resulting cases will cast some doubt upon the effectiveness because every rider "caught" will claim a plethora of reasons why his case would not be applicable.

Now, I'm not saying the passport system won't work. I'm thinking actually CATCHING guys with it does nothing to further scare people away, because they will try to weasel out of it either way. Just like before. Positive results have not scared dopers away previously, why would they now.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Will be interesting to see what time the suspicious values are from. My guess is from 2011 or forward.

Andy is the most often mentioned. Supposedly a Grand Tour winner from 2010 and several others.

The Tour always creates rumors. So many reporters in one place. I remember the rumors of CERA positives in the Giro a couple years back, nothing came of them

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

it's a good point, though i assume most players with a biopassport already know that they have to keep it steady and stable.
if you doped prior to getting on the passport, you're foolish to stop doping whilst on it.
i guess indeed an andy biopassport violation would further cement that premise.

Race Radio said:
Andy is the most often mentioned. Supposedly a Grand Tour winner from 2010 and several others.

The Tour always creates rumors. So many reporters in one place. I remember the rumors of CERA positives in the Giro a couple years back, nothing came of them

Is it possible that Bertie could be subject to an ABP case for the period where he lost his results but where he was still riding before his ban (I don't mean was he doping but whether that period could still be considered - in hindsight, in my view I don't see how not)?

TRENDING THREADS