• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Isaac Del Toro thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Has sending Ayuso to the grand tour so young been to his advantage or detriment? It’s old school to not take riders so young to a grand tour. But perhaps that thinking is gone?
Uijtdebroeks is also just 20 years old. And he did the Vuelta last year. It all depends on where they are in their development and what their strengths are. Guys like Evenepoel, Uijtdebroeks, Ayuso, and probably Del Toro as well are further in their development at 20 than most 25-year-olds in 2010.

They become good much sooner, but I doubt we'll see any of them racing until they're 40.

They become good much sooner, but I doubt we'll see any of them racing until they're 40.
I think that will largely be up to whether or not they can keep stimulating and motivating themselves for 20 years or not. I think this will be more of a mental challenge than a physical one. I don't really believe in these riders "burning up" sooner from a physical point. They all ride a lot less than riders did 30 years ago, have a team of experts to set up their schedules and keep things within limits. That doesn't mean of course that they will still be as good as they are now.

One must be full of praise for del Toro.

First of all, he seems to be likeable.

Then: won the Tour de l‘Avenir against the very best European riders and teams, with a team that can’t be compared to the top Espoir European teams.

Then, his first race in his first year at the Elite Men categories is a World Tour race, in January. He wins a stage, and finishes third on final GC.

One still cannot know for a hundred percent certain how he‘ll manage three week stage races. Of course everyone expects him to win the Tour de France. But everything looks very, very promising, and a hype for bike racing could be great for his country, Mexico, which sadly suffers from many unpleasant things.

May del Toro be for Mexico what Nairo, Bernal and MAL became for Colombia… :)

Good to see the combativity. Maybe went a little late as if he could have bridged to remco if he had went sooner?

But if he had waited until the last circuit maybe he could have podiumed?
According to Horner on the Butterfly Effect, he was at the back of the group leading into the climb on which Remco would make his winning attack, cleaning his shades. Chalk it up to a youthful mistake. But Hirshi and another teammate were also badly positioned as the climb began, so UAE didn't ride very smartly it seems. Would it have made any difference? Would Del Toro or Hirshi or someone else have been able to go with Remco? Let's say one rider managed to get on the Belgian's wheel. Evenepoel still would have had other opportunities to drop the break companion, such was his dominance over the rest yesterday.

According to Horner on the Butterfly Effect, he was at the back of the group leading into the climb on which Remco would make his winning attack, cleaning his shades. Chalk it up to a youthful mistake. But Hirshi and another teammate were also badly positioned as the climb began, so UAE didn't ride very smartly it seems. Would it have made any difference? Would Del Toro or Hirshi or someone else have been able to go with Remco? Let's say one rider managed to get on the Belgian's wheel. Evenepoel still would have had other opportunities to drop the break companion, such was his dominance over the rest yesterday.
Del toro does seem to float around the peloton a lot. Everyone probably knew the launch was coming because QS was driving hard. You want in on it gotta be there for it

Morgado and Hirschi were right behind Evenepoel (bibs 13 and 14) well before he attacked, as seen on the heli shot.
As for Del Toro, he finished nearly 4 minutes down in the end. I highly doubt he would have been able to survive had he been able to bridge or go with Evenepoel from the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Berniece
Del toro does seem to float around the peloton a lot. Everyone probably knew the launch was coming because QS was driving hard. You want in on it gotta be there for it
It's like, what are the radios for? Someone in the team car should have been telling the lad to be near the front at that point. Yet the kid appears to have a very bright future. Although he may eventually need to change teams, but the offers likely won't be wanting.

Last edited:
Reactions: scribers
Morgado and Hirschi were right behind Evenepoel (bibs 13 and 14) well before he attacked, as seen on the heli shot.
True, but previously when Remco's team assumed train formation, Hirshi was back in about 25th position, Morgado in like 30th. Hardly ideal. At any rate, I don't think it would have made much difference otherwise. Remco was simply a cut above. Perhaps only were Del Toro sitting on Remco's wheel when he went could the Mexican have gone clear with him. But it's not a given.

True, but previously when Remco's team assumed train formation, Hirshi was back in about 25th position, Morgado in like 30th. Hardly ideal. At any rate, I don't think it would have made much difference otherwise. Remco was simply a cut above. Perhaps only were Del Toro sitting on Remco's wheel when he went could the Mexican have gone clear with him. But it's not a given.
I think he would have been able to go with him, just like Powless "went with him" in Liège '22 or Pidcock in Liège '23. Like i said, Del Toro finished nearly 4 minutes down, there is no way he was ever going to survive.

Del Toro got door matted..leading group put 6:10 on him on day two, and who is he taking that back from in a TT? Remco, Wout, Kuss,? I hope he can keep it together. Commenting team taking some digs" lots of talk about Del Toro, but nothing from him today " . so he really is only going to have the one play, either team work,be a donkey and carry food and water, or try for a stage, w poor form and many minutes behind most of the favorites will ignore his moves..team probably going have him as water boy

Reactions: Sandisfan
Del Toro got door matted..leading group put 6:10 on him on day two, and who is he taking that back from in a TT? Remco, Wout, Kuss,? I hope he can keep it together. Commenting team taking some digs" lots of talk about Del Toro, but nothing from him today " . so he really is only going to have the one play, either team work,be a donkey and carry food and water, or try for a stage, w poor form and many minutes behind most of the favorites will ignore his moves..team probably going have him as water boy
Jeez Louise. Guy just turned 20, won a WT stage against third or fourth tier opposition that just came out of hibernation. Not everybody is as good as soon as Pogacar or Evenepoel. In fact, other than those two, no-one is and it's time people started acknowledging that. He should definitely NOT do donkey work during Algarve. There are two other stages where he should see where he's at. Malhao might suit him better (i'm not sure, but it's steeper so maybe he copes with that better than a high tempo drag climb) and the TT should also give him and us an idea if that is a forte or a liability for his GC aspirations. That will be much more valuable as information, than whatever donkey work they would have him do. For whom by the way? No Almeida, no Pogacar, no Ayuso, no Yates... Should he work for Christen or Morgado? We all know Hirschi's not going to podium. Let him just do his thing and see where it gets him.

Jeez Louise. Guy just turned 20, won a WT stage against third or fourth tier opposition that just came out of hibernation. Not everybody is as good as soon as Pogacar or Evenepoel. In fact, other than those two, no-one is and it's time people started acknowledging that. He should definitely NOT do donkey work during Algarve. There are two other stages where he should see where he's at. Malhao might suit him better (i'm not sure, but it's steeper so maybe he copes with that better than a high tempo drag climb) and the TT should also give him and us an idea if that is a forte or a liability for his GC aspirations. That will be much more valuable as information, than whatever donkey work they would have him do. For whom by the way? No Almeida, no Pogacar, no Ayuso, no Yates... Should he work for Christen or Morgado? We all know Hirschi's not going to podium. Let him just do his thing and see where it gets him.
So if it's up to you and me he will jump early and try for a result, that's certainly what I am hoping for.. But team may want to support another rider
..if Fisher Black was here instead of the desert, how different things would look!! Don't know if you scan other cycling stuff, but Armstrong and half dozen others, especially some clowns in NYC that run a car service, all have Isaac shouldering responsibilities for entire Spanish speaking cycling population. So even if Del Toro does want to be on a pedestal, he doesn't want his helmet to explode from getting a big head, people like Lance after seeing TDU are suggesting it's not long before Isaac is contesting the podium at the TDF, their words not mine.. I know he is not in love with English so I hope he is not getting fully exposed to the hype.. and F.. Euro sport or whoever called the race today..I am with you, he is human being and as you point out a very young one at that. Lance Armstrong said he should win the Tour not Isaac..
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGhfb64OnY&pp=ygUXaXNhYWMgZGVsIHRvcm8gY2ljbGlzbW8%3D

I hate these people!!

So if it's up to you and me he will jump early and try for a result, that's certainly what I am hoping for.. But team may want to support another rider
..if Fisher Black was here instead of the desert, how different things would look!! Don't know if you scan other cycling stuff, but Armstrong and half dozen others, especially some clowns in NYC that run a car service, all have Isaac shouldering responsibilities for entire Spanish speaking cycling population. So even if Del Toro does want to be on a pedestal, he doesn't want his helmet to explode from getting a big head, people like Lance after seeing TDU are suggesting it's not long before Isaac is contesting the podium at the TDF, their words not mine.. I know he is not in love with English so I hope he is not getting fully exposed to the hype.. and F.. Euro sport or whoever called the race today..I am with you, he is human being and as you point out a very young one at that. Lance Armstrong said he should win the Tour not Isaac..
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGhfb64OnY&pp=ygUXaXNhYWMgZGVsIHRvcm8gY2ljbGlzbW8%3D

I hate these people!!
As i said in a different topic. Lances forgets one thing. That he is an idiot.

Del Toro should just stick with the favourites and see where it takes him on Malhao. If he survives and is still in contention with 400m to go, he can try to attack. But he shouldn't try to jump early or do a long range attack. That is pointless, look at what happened to Leknessund today, he tried the same and lost over 4 minutes in the end. Del Toro's GC in Algarve is over (he was never going to win or even podium here anyway). Now he has to test himself in the two important stages that remain. That will be far more valuable to his team, to us and himself, than getting bottles for Morgado.

Last edited: