• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Isaac Del Toro thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't look so much at how much time Del Toro lost on stage 2. Or do look at it for the right reason.

The time he lost was because he gave up as soon as he got dropped. Del Toro had to let go with 4 km left just after Bagioli dropped and right before Herregodts got dropped. Bagioli finished 27th 2:15 down and Herregodts finished 23rd 1:38 down. Del Toro just gave up and finished 62nd 6:20 down.

So while he didn't actually lose 6:20 in racing power it's still indicative of the type of rider he is that he doesn't care to hold on to fight for 25th place in GC . Not sure if that is a good or a bad sign for his future. Likely it's not the best trait for winning GTs but it might be good for someone going for wins on stages.

Don't look so much at how much time Del Toro lost on stage 2. Or do look at it for the right reason.

The time he lost was because he gave up as soon as he got dropped. Del Toro had to let go with 4 km left just after Bagioli dropped and right before Herregodts got dropped. Bagioli finished 27th 2:15 down and Herregodts finished 23rd 1:38 down. Del Toro just gave up and finished 62nd 6:20 down.

So while he didn't actually lose 6:20 in racing power it's still indicative of the type of rider he is that he doesn't care to hold on to fight for 25th place in GC . Not sure if that is a good or a bad sign for his future. Likely it's not the best trait for winning GTs but it might be good for someone going for wins on stages.
Great observation and the mental component from what I have experienced takes some time to develop at each level of racing. I was told many years ago about facial expressions and strange mental assumptions. I said that I dropped off because I feared that I was losing consciousness and was semi blacking out, he just turned to me and said everyone has that feeling, you learn to ride through it. And mentally you always think that the guy in front of you is suffering less, which could be true but most often isn't the case. Del Toro to me is on the right side, he is cracking at the end 4,5k to go against Ganna, Remco, Wout, ect that a pretty elite group to beat you by a little. I have faith he will keep getting harder and stronger, big motor just needs a bigger gas tank.. I am assuming that when he looks right, left ,behind and sees Kuss, Remco and WVA he needs to change his diaper, I can't imagine lining up next to the confirmed best in the world. and being green and 20..awestruck I am sure

I think the judgement is pretty harsh and you need more time to come to that conclusion.

I see it as a young rider, who wanted to test himself on a climb/stage against the best. He didnt have the day and went too deep into red, when he had to let go the team told him to sit up. Save energy for the ITT and the Malhao stage, which could suit him better.

He is also very young and there will probably be some inconsistences in performance, from one day to another.

Man that time an elementary school teacher told me to go chew on a battery. All this time I didn’t realize they were trying to help me!
It's because when the doctors said you needed lithium, your folks said let's wait and see, the battery is your teacher's work around!!
But overall a positive outcome, Del Toro certainly didn't go away with nothing.
And for me Mikel Landa, Ben Healy,and Magnus Sheffield all fun to watch and all rode great races. And Martinez saying I will show you mine, Remco rode great but certainly not Superman

There is a bicycle mechanic in Ensenada, he works primarily on second hand bikes and his shop is piled to the ceiling with old,older bicycles on top of each other.. Located in an area referred to as Los Globos . He is famous locally, and he also runs the in season Wednesday night crit..he used to coach and car pool all the bratty snot nosed pre teens to races, Isaac being one of the punks!!
On Facebook Isaac Del Toro took the time and effort to send his longtime friend a couple of authentic UAE issued items, hats,jersey, T-shirts and warm up stuff with the team logo.. It's F- ing awesome and a thoughtful and sincere gesture.. Kid has class!!

Man that time an elementary school teacher told me to go chew on a battery. All this time I didn’t realize they were trying to help me!
Been sucking on batteries all morning!!
Del Toro kept it together, huge jump in GC and in 6th or 7th, minute and a half off the front, is great. Better still few seconds separate him from a possible podium.
Juan Ayuso gave Isaac big shout out in post race interviews. So regardless, he got a boost of confidence from a good ride. * as they crossed, he was the last in the group and he looked like he was trying to fall off his bike, because of negative calories available, but he finished close!! Nobody said he could sprint!!
Hopefully he can settle down and finish strong.. Either way top 10 will be great and anything better will be fantastic!!

Great result. Pitcock pulled the Mexican train car until he detached and tried to cross to Ayuso. Team ended up good overall. And a dump truck more confidence for Isaac. He is able to mix it up with the best.
Worth all of those half a million euros ;) He lacks that first acceleration, but that will probably come with a little more racing under his belt, but there's no reason why he shouldn't at least become Ayuso's level... or better.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Worth all of those half a million euros ;) He lacks that first acceleration, but that will probably come with a little more racing under his belt, but there's no reason why he shouldn't at least become Ayuso's level... or better.
He is looking pretty cowboy on the bike, sometimes it looks like he is in a rodeo and not racing a bike!! Not very smooth!!Good discipline today and excellent instincts for his attack. Gotta be happy with season start, and has a respectable ITT time,

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think it's by choice, not a lack of ability. Both climbs (if the numbers confirm what it looked like on the screen today) were paced harder when he dropped than optimal. And as he could join the chase group without having to pull it, it didn't really have any downside.
It's by choice, because he can't follow the accelerations... if he does it he blows up, probably. But of course it's something he has to work on, you can't keep Almeida-ing your way up there.