• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jack Bobridge

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
I'm not sure high quality coaching equates to push athletes until they break as it did for the former eastern bloc. It may, I have nothing to do with the AIS so I don't know.
I do know that many children in Australia are tested in schools (through a variety of programs) and are encouraged into sports that they are more likely to succeed in, even if they will not be a star. The idea being if a child is more successful they are more likely to stick with a sport for a healthy lifestyle. Some of these programs have no links with talent ID.Back on topic...a structured performance program bearing fruit, what a shock. How good were the performances, check the finals and realise it was a fast track. Doping...ask someone closer to these guys.

The best reason to have sports programs in schools!
As for a well run, structured program; I would totally agree and be optimistically happy for the participants.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The majority of pros enjoy what their doing. Its actually really really hard to overtrain (if you have atleast 1 day off each week and spend time building FTP or V02 max rather than JRA (just riding around.) AIS is not about "breaking" athletes. Much bigger factors are environmental: does the person enjoy their teamates, do they get along with the staff, are they succesful enough, etc.

Its the long slow JRA that causes people to truly overtrain in my opinion. Sick people could be overtrained, overtrained people are almost always chronically sick. Over-reaching is much more common and is very short term. If your overtrained you cannot hit your V02 max AT ALL and your FTP has dropped a lot. Your also sick. You may be mentally ill as well.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
The majority of pros enjoy what their doing. Its actually really really hard to overtrain (if you have atleast 1 day off each week and spend time building FTP or V02 max rather than JRA (just riding around.) AIS is not about "breaking" athletes. Much bigger factors are environmental: does the person enjoy their teamates, do they get along with the staff, are they succesful enough, etc.

Its the long slow JRA that causes people to truly overtrain in my opinion. Sick people could be overtrained, overtrained people are almost always chronically sick. Over-reaching is much more common and is very short term. If your overtrained you cannot hit your V02 max AT ALL and your FTP has dropped a lot. Your also sick. You may be mentally ill as well.

All true. And good quality riders ususally learn to take control of their training to avoid being cooked. That's why the East German model had such a human toll, plus their atheletes had few options then. I can't imagine many successful programs couldabuse their atheletes in that manner with the avaibility of information today.
Still, it's tempting for coaches to take shortcuts, too.

Oldman said:
This is absolute duplicate of East German athletic policy. The coaching staffs then didn't tell the atheletes what they were doing to them. The consequences to the former East German competitors was tragic as those that couldn't stand up to the training were discarded. Those that survived the training endured alot of PED abuse. Check in with some of their products: Ekimov (Russian), Udo Bolts, Jan Ullrich and others. I'm sure none of that is going on as long as there exists some independent oversight. Programs that are dependent on results for funding tend to lose sight of the original intent. Australia seems to have plenty of knowledgable riders to fill that task and it would be great if this program was squeaky clean. US teams from the 80's to 00 could have used more scrutiny, for sure.

Sorry Oldman but I am nitpicking here, Udo Bolts came through the West German system not the East, you could have used Erik Zabel instead. Not disagreeing with ya though.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Sorry Oldman but I am nitpicking here, Udo Bolts came through the West German system not the East, you could have used Erik Zabel instead. Not disagreeing with ya though.

Yer right and I knew it when I punched it in. Zabel and all of them were in one corral which says something of the coaching mindset.

It's all about Garmin's unrivalled science based approach, and of course the rice cakes.

Not going to get all negative about it... I don't think his time is something we thought he wasn't capable of. I will reserve judgement until he makes the transition from stage hunting pack fodder to mountain goat, but I guess that approach is flawed if he's a goat from the get go.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
If you were a young pro would you be busting out the EPO and transfusions in January for a spot on National Team you are already a shoe-in for, and a shot at a National title you have already been winning on/off since 16 years old?

He's got a Boardman motor but an O'Grady head and heart. He probably spent more time off the front of the peleton in failed breaks in his first year than Boardman did in his whole career. Hence the development. The Aussies and JV are very lucky to have him.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
BigBoat said:
This guy is the "clean one" with the uber high undoped V02 max. blahahahaha! This guy did 4:14.427...That is UNREAL to say the least. Wiggins did 4:16.3 in Athens. A (jacked) Boardman did 4:11 in the SUPERMAN position which is now illegal.
Looking forward to seeing your evidence on that one. No rush, take your time...

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:

I'd like to hear of one professional cyclist who has a day off each week. A rest day is 1-1.5 hrs minimum.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
PhysioSam said:
Can someone tell me who the last track enduro cyclist was that went positive? Doping is the domain of multistage events due to the effects it has on haemotcrit levels, not track.

Ever heard of 6 day racing?. Doping was and most likely still is totaly a part of six day racing..oh...and its on the track!
Plenty of gains to be made by EPO etc...5% on the road ( conservativly) is just as benificial if not more so on the track.
Not saying young Jack dopes ...just pointing out the very obvious fact that track doping is VERY benifical.:rolleyes:

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Ever heard of 6 day racing?. Doping was and most likely still is totaly a part of six day racing..oh...and its on the track!
Plenty of gains to be made by EPO etc...5% on the road ( conservativly) is just as benificial if not more so on the track.
Not saying young Jack dopes ...just pointing out the very obvious fact that track doping is VERY benifical.:rolleyes:
I thought the heyday of 6-day racing was back in the good old days of amphetamines?

Ferminal - fair enough. I didn't spot the date on the OP until too late and if BB has ******ed off, then I'm going to be waiting a long time on that Boardman 'evidence'. :rolleyes:

Chuffy said:
I thought the heyday of 6-day racing was back in the good old days of amphetamines?

Ferminal - fair enough. I didn't spot the date on the OP until too late and if BB has ******ed off, then I'm going to be waiting a long time on that Boardman 'evidence'. :rolleyes:

lol, not sure he's gone completely but he doesn't really post anymore.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
I googled it, reasonable humidity 70, and 26 late in the afternoon, could not find a temp at 14:00 because I could not be rooted quite frankly.

I thought Adelaide was usually hotter?

the australian track national champs was in sydney, not adelaide

it was very hot over there, friends of mine were setting PBs by large margins due to the track conditions

so far there is absolutely zero evidence of bobridge being linked to PED use in any way, not even chinese whispers

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Closing this thread because quite clearly - even with Feminal repeatedly, plainly pointing out the obvious, people don't get that responding to a post written over a year ago by someone who isnt here anymore when there is an existing thread about current developments is a tad odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.