Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Cort gave an interview to a danish cycling podcast valled Veloropa earlier today.

Amongst the things he said:

- Astana use trainers to scout in front of the peloton on every stage...... but the information they get is largely irrelevant to the riders (he did not say it, but I am guessing those trainers are not former riders).

- Fuglsang is not nearly vocal enough as a leader during a stage, they barely hear him on the radio.

- Fuglsang said at the post stage debrief, that they now need to launch long range attacks, if he is to hit the podium.

- Valverde has lost so much weight, that he has gotten "grandma arms", time for him to retire (joking) :D

- The will to ride as a team is there amongst the riders (they need direction).

Later in the same podcast (from another source outside Astana, not Cort), the podcast reports that apparently Michaelsen had not been consulted about stage strategy at all....... despite being the cross wind specialist on the team.
Thanks for the summary.

I would have liked to hear from Cort whether he thinks he's in shape (I mean Cort himself). My impression is that he is not in his best form, possibly a result of him losing weight.
 
Re: Re:

Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Cort gave an interview to a danish cycling podcast valled Veloropa earlier today.

Amongst the things he said:

- Astana use trainers to scout in front of the peloton on every stage...... but the information they get is largely irrelevant to the riders (he did not say it, but I am guessing those trainers are not former riders).

- Fuglsang is not nearly vocal enough as a leader during a stage, they barely hear him on the radio.

- Fuglsang said at the post stage debrief, that they now need to launch long range attacks, if he is to hit the podium.

- Valverde has lost so much weight, that he has gotten "grandma arms", time for him to retire (joking) :D

- The will to ride as a team is there amongst the riders (they need direction).

Later in the same podcast (from another source outside Astana, not Cort), the podcast reports that apparently Michaelsen had not been consulted about stage strategy at all....... despite being the cross wind specialist on the team.
Thanks for the summary.

I would have liked to hear from Cort whether he thinks he's in shape (I mean Cort himself). My impression is that he is not in his best form, possibly a result of him losing weight.
You didn't watch the Dauphiné? There he was absolutely flying in the mountains as a result of his weight loss.
 
Cort is in fine shape, but has done a lot of work in the wind. Problem with him he is bad at positioning and thus is more usefull in the earlier stages. You know this, but he is a fast guy, but literally hasnt sprinted more than on a few occasions the last few years due to him being at horrendous at positioning.

He has become a very, very good stage hunter and there has been a couple of great stages for him, but that side has been completely and utterly neutralized riding for Fuglsang in this Tour.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I was wondering about the Danish rage after that stage.

Looks like they were on the wrong part of a roundabout, lost 40 positions, and immediately after it started splitting.
Yep, like Pinot. Wrong place, wrong time...no need to pile up and say "I knew all along that he wasn't a GC rider" and that kind of rubbish. Cycling is cruel at times. Now he has a decent team and he needs to attack.
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Cort gave an interview to a danish cycling podcast valled Veloropa earlier today.

Amongst the things he said:.
Thanks for the summary.

I would have liked to hear from Cort whether he thinks he's in shape (I mean Cort himself). My impression is that he is not in his best form, possibly a result of him losing weight.
You didn't watch the Dauphiné? There he was absolutely flying in the mountains as a result of his weight loss.
He was nowhere on stage 6, and he couldn't help his captain in the decisive moment on stage 10. It's been really bad.
 
Re: Re:

Danskebjerge said:
tobydawq said:
Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Cort gave an interview to a danish cycling podcast valled Veloropa earlier today.

Amongst the things he said:.
Thanks for the summary.

I would have liked to hear from Cort whether he thinks he's in shape (I mean Cort himself). My impression is that he is not in his best form, possibly a result of him losing weight.
You didn't watch the Dauphiné? There he was absolutely flying in the mountains as a result of his weight loss.
He was nowhere on stage 6, and he couldn't help his captain in the decisive moment on stage 10. It's been really bad.
You are danish, and didn't know he was riding injured since the crash?

Seems odd, when it's been all over danish media ;)
 
Decent ITT performance from Fuglsang. He's been fighting bad mojo, starting with his crash at the beginning. Is top 5 still a possibility? Maybe, if things go right. Others look strong, too: Uran, Porte, Kruijswijk, Pinot, Mas, Thomas (of course) . . .
 
JosephK said:
Decent ITT performance from Fuglsang. He's been fighting bad mojo, starting with his crash at the beginning. Is top 5 still a possibility? Maybe, if things go right. Others look strong, too: Uran, Porte, Kruijswijk, Pinot, Mas, Thomas (of course) . . .
I still see him finishing 8th, as I did before the Tour - but since he is so far away from the podium there is a possibility of him losing his motivation at some point.
 
I just hope he goes on a big raid in the mountains, and then nevermind if he falls even further down.

Also, he's not feeling anymore pain from the crash anymore; suddenly realised that something was "missing" when he went into the bus this morning.
 
Really good TT by Fuglsang. Being only 15 seconds off Asgreen (albeit a tired version) is a great result.

But the fact remains, he is 4,29 behind yellow, and 2,17 off the podium.

If the stages are ridden like PDBF and yesterday, nobody goes into red, and nobody gains or loses more than 10-20 seconds per stage...... that won't cut it, if he still wants to shoot for the podium.

He has to launch long range attacks, probably starting tomorrow, because it will have to be tried on several stages, before one sticks.
I think he has the team for it, they can all climb fairly well....... question is if he has the courage.
I hope he does - I hope he goes for it and wins hearts, whether he succeeds or ends up 15th because of burning out.

Otherwise it's just and "meh" GT for Fuglsang, and he has had too many of those in his career.
 
Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Really good TT by Fuglsang. Being only 15 seconds off Asgreen (albeit a tired version) is a great result.

But the fact remains, he is 4,29 behind yellow, and 2,17 off the podium.

If the stages are ridden like PDBF and yesterday, nobody goes into red, and nobody gains or loses more than 10-20 seconds per stage...... that won't cut it, if he still wants to shoot for the podium.

He has to launch long range attacks, probably starting tomorrow, because it will have to be tried on several stages, before one sticks.
I think he has the team for it, they can all climb fairly well....... question is if he has the courage.
I hope he does - I hope he goes for it and wins hearts, whether he succeeds or ends up 15th because of burning out.

Otherwise it's just and "meh" GT for Fuglsang, and he has had too many of those in his career.
I agree with your last line there. The rest is just dreams, I'm afraid. :)

(I don't remember having seen a "long rage attack" succeed in a Grand Tour except if the rider was among the very best in the whole field or considered no threat to the general classification. Maybe Pantani produced an example, I don't recall.)
 
Re: Re:

Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Really good TT by Fuglsang. Being only 15 seconds off Asgreen (albeit a tired version) is a great result.

But the fact remains, he is 4,29 behind yellow, and 2,17 off the podium.

If the stages are ridden like PDBF and yesterday, nobody goes into red, and nobody gains or loses more than 10-20 seconds per stage...... that won't cut it, if he still wants to shoot for the podium.

He has to launch long range attacks, probably starting tomorrow, because it will have to be tried on several stages, before one sticks.
I think he has the team for it, they can all climb fairly well....... question is if he has the courage.
I hope he does - I hope he goes for it and wins hearts, whether he succeeds or ends up 15th because of burning out.

Otherwise it's just and "meh" GT for Fuglsang, and he has had too many of those in his career.
I agree with your last line there. The rest is just dreams, I'm afraid. :)

(I don't remember having seen a "long rage attack" succeed in a Grand Tour except if the rider was among the very best in the whole field or considered no threat to the general classification. Maybe Pantani produced an example, I don't recall.)
Froome and Contador spring to mind, but they were the best. Pereiro in 2006. Nairo in 2016 Vuelta...
 
Re: Re:

Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Really good TT by Fuglsang. Being only 15 seconds off Asgreen (albeit a tired version) is a great result.

But the fact remains, he is 4,29 behind yellow, and 2,17 off the podium.

If the stages are ridden like PDBF and yesterday, nobody goes into red, and nobody gains or loses more than 10-20 seconds per stage...... that won't cut it, if he still wants to shoot for the podium.

He has to launch long range attacks, probably starting tomorrow, because it will have to be tried on several stages, before one sticks.
I think he has the team for it, they can all climb fairly well....... question is if he has the courage.
I hope he does - I hope he goes for it and wins hearts, whether he succeeds or ends up 15th because of burning out.

Otherwise it's just and "meh" GT for Fuglsang, and he has had too many of those in his career.
I agree with your last line there. The rest is just dreams, I'm afraid. :)

(I don't remember having seen a "long rage attack" succeed in a Grand Tour except if the rider was among the very best in the whole field or considered no threat to the general classification. Maybe Pantani produced an example, I don't recall.)
Few are as negative as you in here :D
 
Re: Re:

Few are as negative as you in here :D
Well, considering the fact that Fuglsang back in 2018 had the podium in the Tour de France as a main objective in 2019, I think it's only fair to judge the race from that angle. So far, there has been few signs of Fuglsang achieving his goal. Since his crosswind disaster, the only thing that could bring him into contention again would be an extraordinary achievement, for instance in the TT. Nothing of that kind has happened. I don't think it's negativity to compare his goal with the actual results at the key points in the race. I think it's just being realistic.

I'm not counting him out in terms of doing well in the up-coming mountain stages. But I don't believe he has the weapons to move up considerably in the GC.
 
Re: Re:

Danskebjerge said:
Few are as negative as you in here :D
Well, considering the fact that Fuglsang back in 2018 had the podium in the Tour de France as a main objective in 2019, I think it's only fair to judge the race from that angle. So far, there has been few signs of Fuglsang achieving his goal. Since his crosswind disaster, the only thing that could bring him into contention again would be an extraordinary achievement, for instance in the TT. Nothing of that kind has happened. I don't think it's negativity to compare his goal with the actual results at the key points in the race. I think it's just being realistic.

I'm not counting him out in terms of doing well in the up-coming mountain stages. But I don't believe he has the weapons to move up considerably in the GC.
An extraordinary achievement is necessary, I agree.

How you can judge that will not happen, when nobody has attempted an attack in the mountains yet, and the 5 most important mountain stages remain, is beyond me.

But it's not just that, it's also that you seem to take pleasure from saying Fuglsang is bad, which I find rather odd :confused:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY