• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Fuglsangs crash, about 15 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/41BO7_pr_R0

Clearly nothing he could do.

I read he has a knee contusion. Landed heavy on his shoulder lucky didn't crack a collarbone. Not a soft fall but it can happen to the best just ask Alberto Contador. Hopefully it makes no difference to him in the days ahead I am interested to see if he really can challenge for a podium.

Re: Re:

Cookster15 said:
Broccolidwarf said:

I read he has a knee contusion. Landed heavy on his shoulder lucky didn't crack a collarbone. Not a soft fall but it can happen to the best just ask Alberto Contador. Hopefully it makes no difference to him in the days ahead I am interested to see if he really can challenge for a podium.

The problem with knocks like that is, that it adds to the fatigue at the end of the race.

You rarely see a rider crash hard - even without serious injury - and be good in week 3.

But, if he wakes up tomorrow, with no serious aches, he still has a shot.

Broccolidwarf said:
Cookster15 said:
Broccolidwarf said:

The problem with knocks like that is, that it adds to the fatigue at the end of the race.

You rarely see a rider crash hard - even without serious injury - and be good in week 3.

But, if he wakes up tomorrow, with no serious aches, he still has a shot.

Yes, I am of the belief Cadel Evans lost the 2008 Tour after a crash on stage 9 which finally caught up with him in the stage 20 TT. Hopefully Jakob's bumps and bruises are not so bad.

movingtarget said:
del1962 said:
Shame because he was the favourite to win and now his detractors will have a field day

That's a bit of a stretch for someone that has never podiumed a grand tour in how many pro years ? He's spoken about because of his form in much shorter races.

He has never been this good as he has been this season. Previous results are somewhat expendable.

If that knee hurts bad, he will sadly be out of contention very soon though.

Hincapie said it best in The Move:

"It's got nothing to do with luck....(bla bla bla)....... for me to see him in the middle of the bunch, with 15 k to go, on the first stage of the Tour de France, is unacceptable".

Astana needs to ride like Ineos, if they want to win Grand Tours...... there can be no off days, where lots of the team is chilling out at the back.

Astana should be sitting on the last Ineos wheel, with an almost full squad, on every stage, except for stages they ride from the front.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Astana should be sitting on the last Ineos wheel, with an almost full squad, on every stage, except for stages they ride from the front.

And so should Movistar, and Mitchelton, and UAE, and Trek, and Bahrein, and Ag2R, and Groupama, and EF, and... whatever other GC teams that are.

But, naah… he was never a favourite. He was an outside bet for a podium spot, if everything went according to plan, and I don't think crashing on stage 1 counts as "according to plan".

RedheadDane said:
Broccolidwarf said:

And so should Movistar, and Mitchelton, and UAE, and Trek, and Bahrein, and Ag2R, and Groupama, and EF, and... whatever other GC teams that are.

But, naah… he was never a favourite. He was an outside bet for a podium spot, if everything went according to plan, and I don't think crashing on stage 1 counts as "according to plan".

He wasn't an outside bet for a podium spot. That is just ignoring his season.

RedheadDane said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Look at the video of the crash.

He has ONE Astana guy with him, Cort on his wheel.

It's 15 k to the line, on the first stage of a tour, where the entire team has ONE goal....... Where are the other 6 guys?

There is NO EXCUSE - it's amateur hour - which for some reason happens often for Astana at Grand Tours, while they seem very coordinated at smaller stage races.

What's the difference? - Is there a different DS for Grand Tours at Astana?

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Hincapie said it best in The Move:

"It's got nothing to do with luck....(bla bla bla)....... for me to see him in the middle of the bunch, with 15 k to go, on the first stage of the Tour de France, is unacceptable".

Astana needs to ride like Ineos, if they want to win Grand Tours...... there can be no off days, where lots of the team is chilling out at the back.

I thought the same thing yesterday when the crash happened. But I didn't want to post because people has been a little sensitive on the forum lately.

There is no excuse for riding at the back or middle of the pack if your name is Fuglsang. Yes everyone wants to be at the front but this is Astana we are talking about. Fuglsang was third on the bets. So push any other team that is at the front.

TRENDING THREADS