• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think that Fulgsang performed pretty well in this Tour, particularly given his crash on stage 1. His efforts on the ITT, stages 6/14/15 suggest a certain top ten finish, and possible top 5, if not giving away time on a random stage (10).

I hope that he gives the Vuelta a serious go, as if he doesn't have any bad luck, but still cannot podium, then he can avoid any focus on GC in GT's next season.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Danskebjerge said:
Fuglsang is now considering a different approach to the Tour de France. To do like Simon Yates has done this year.

It's just from an answer he gave in an interview, and he said in the same interview that it is very early to develop strategies for next year's Tour.

That was said jokingly.

Also, it would be a rather odd strategy, after losing 1,40 in a peloton split this year.
Thats because you dont understand the strategy then. Its perfectly normal for some riders to take it super easy, sit in the back, not risk crashes etc. in order to win stages later on. Michael Rasmussen did that in 2007 actually. If you lose time, fine, if you dont, well, lets see if you can follow the best - if not, hunt stages.
That said, I cant see Fuglsang doing that next year either. He wants this so badly. But when he doesnt perform this year, which is his absolutele prime (its not likely he will be as good next year), I just cant see it happening.

I don't understand the strategy, because it was said jokingly?

Ok then :D

Btw, the lay up wasn't to sit there to win stages, it was to sit there and ride GC - but do it is a less stressful manner, where you are not pulled down in other peoples crashes...... and then "hope" no split occurs.

Valv.Piti said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Danskebjerge said:
Fuglsang is now considering a different approach to the Tour de France. To do like Simon Yates has done this year.

It's just from an answer he gave in an interview, and he said in the same interview that it is very early to develop strategies for next year's Tour.

That was said jokingly.

Also, it would be a rather odd strategy, after losing 1,40 in a peloton split this year.
Thats because you dont understand the strategy then. Its perfectly normal for some riders to take it super easy, sit in the back, not risk crashes etc. in order to win stages later on. Michael Rasmussen did that in 2007 actually. If you lose time, fine, if you dont, well, lets see if you can follow the best - if not, hunt stages.
That said, I cant see Fuglsang doing that next year either.

Neither can I, unless he changes to a team where he can have a "free role". But which stages should he go for, then? I'm not sure he would be able to do the same on a mountain stage as Yates who is much more a climber. And there is only one or two Ardennes-classic-like stages in a Tour.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
He also joked that maybe he should just... not win Dauphine. :D
He got a grand total of 1 win last season focusing on Tour. This year he won Liege, Dauphine, Andalucia and took a stage at Tirreno and had many podium finishes. He is currently 3rd at 2019 CQ ranking.
Yes, he wasn't happy with the Tour, bur he had the best season of his career by far, and the season not even finished. Even if he doesn't race anymore this season it was still an incredible season for him. If he had done nothing all season and crashed out here it would have been a season to forget. That's why I think putting all your eggs in one basket is silly.

Forever The Best said:
RedheadDane said:
He also joked that maybe he should just... not win Dauphine. :D
He got a grand total of 1 win last season focusing on Tour. This year he won Liege, Dauphine, Andalucia and took a stage at Tirreno and had many podium finishes. He is currently 3rd at 2019 CQ ranking.
Yes, he wasn't happy with the Tour, bur he had the best season of his career by far, and the season not even finished. Even if he doesn't race anymore this season it was still an incredible season for him. If he had done nothing all season and crashed out here it would have been a season to forget. That's why I think putting all your eggs in one basket is silly.

Like I said; it was a joke. Just a silly reference to the fact that both times he won Dauphine, he crashed out of the Tour.

Valv.Piti said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:
Had been much more realistic with 8th-12th. Gives the impression that he was on an upward trajectory which isnt true - all the riders above him climbed better in the Pyrenees. Add to that his very suspect 3rd week and 8th may be very generous.
Yeah, but say that Valverde cracks in the Alps, while Alaphilippe has his eventual meltdown and that Jakob had kept Porte and Uran behind him. That would make it a 7th place. Obviously he'd have to keep the level he's had, but there is not anything that suggest he shouldn't be able to do that. Biggest threat from behind would probably be Uran finding his rare 3rd week form.

Not that it matters much, but Rolf's assessment seem within the realms of reality. Obviously Juul is stretching it.
There is lots and lots of evidence of Fuglsang not performing well in the third week. Here's the big Pyreneen stages last year in the Tour, for example.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2018/stage-17
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2018/stage-19
How is one tour "lots and lots of evidence"?

Really, Jakob was already a broken man at that point. He had performed poorly throughout last year's tour and then he gambled big time and tried to attack on Tourmalet, which eventually was the last nail in the coffin.

You can say what you want but there is not much good evidence that Fuglsang's level falls drastically when they hit 3 weeks. There is evidence that he cannot sustain his one week stage race level over 3 weeks, but usually, he's actually had his worst days in week 2.

Broccolidwarf said:
Danskebjerge said:
I'm sure Fuglsang would have won the Tour if that landslide on stage 19 hadn't happened.

What is the purpose of your constant negative posts on Fuglsang?

What is it you want to achieve?

It seems odd you are even taking an interest in this thread...... :rolleyes:

So it's not only your sense of realism that is lacking - it's also your sense of humour?

Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Danskebjerge said:
I'm sure Fuglsang would have won the Tour if that landslide on stage 19 hadn't happened.

So it's not only your sense of realism that is lacking - it's also your sense of humour?

"Humour" - sure :rolleyes:

Broccolidwarf said:
Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Danskebjerge said:

"Humour" - sure :rolleyes:

You're not the only person who isn't exactly rolling on the floor in tears after that one.

Also, he was off his bike and had to get a new one (not sure if he crashed or had a mechanical) somewhere in the 3rd or 2nd to last lap and still caught up with the group. He had very, very good legs today.
Had he not had his misfortune, I feel fairly certain that he would gone with MvdP and Trentin when they jumped as that was originally the Danish strategy. And who knows, he could have been World Champion in that scenario.

I just checked out of interest, and the last rider to win Liege and Lombardia in the same year was Argentin in 1987.

The only other rider to do it was Merckx, because of course it was. He did it twice, in 1971 and 72. And won MSR both years. And the Tour de France both years. And the Worlds in 71. And the Giro in ‘72. Because of course he did.

So yeah, Birdsong to finish the season strong.

TRENDING THREADS