• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich still has it!!!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Magnus said:
Doubt it. He finished 2 hours 15 minutes behind Stefan Kirchmair or something like that.

He seems happy though.

I had the pleasure to pass him while he was tacking a natural brake on Jaufenpass:eek:
Though I must admit I couldn't quite keep up with him on Timmelsjoch:eek:

Ullrich didn't ride full throttle at all.
For most of the road he was riding together with his friend Frank Wörndl

Earlier this year Ullrich beat both Gilberto Simoni as well as the 2010 Ötztaler winner in a 20km TT which featured a 10km 12% mountain with more then 2 minutes. Imagine he had 10 Kilo less and would really train again.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

Earlier this year Ullrich beat both Gilberto Simoni as well as the 2010 Ötztaler winner in a 10km TT which featured a 10km 12% mountain with more then 3 minutes. Imagine he had 10 Kilo less and would really train again.

yes indeed. also because simoni si still almost on his pro fitness level. he traisn like a beast still. kepe in mind ullrich is still only 37. many gusy his age are doing good in peloton

Bavarianrider said:

Earlier this year Ullrich beat both Gilberto Simoni as well as the 2010 Ötztaler winner in a 20km TT which featured a 10km 12% mountain with more then 2 minutes. Imagine he had 10 Kilo less and would really train again.

It does look like he put on 15+kg in that last pic compared to the pic in the first message! You said he was 80kg at the time, mustn't be far from 100 now, scary...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
My main language is Bavarian by the way ;) :D

That's Deutsch with a mouth full of marbles and 2 liters of beer in the belly ;-) Couldn't help myself, sorry.

Good to see him riding again - must still be juiced, kind of like his old rival Lance. But then again, who was/isn't in the pro peleton?

I hear he's doing some kind of Gran Frodo promotions as well.

536245_364729003611918_1412154148_n.jpg

:)

Bavarianrider said:
Hey guys, i think that's worth a new thread.
Today Ullrich was racing his first real race since 2006.
He was participating in the Peak to Creek relay event in Austria. Ullrich was riding the bycicle stage of this relay event. He rode against Gilbert Simoni and Antonio CORRADIN, winner of the Öztaler Radmarathon in 2008 and 2010.

Cool. That's nice to see. Along with all the images posted. Bravo!

Magnus said:
Doubt it. He finished 2 hours 15 minutes behind Stefan Kirchmair or something like that.

When I read that I wasn't particularly impressed, as that would have made him slower (by about 7 min) than I was on my last participation to that radmarathon on my 65th birthday.
(winning time in 2011 was 7 h 06 min)

Which would put him roughly at the same level of performance as VERY VERY OVERWEIGHT (15 kg?) Greg LeMond on the Etape du Tour 2007 (he finished 9 min behind me)

So I went to look it up on the official Otztaler radmarathon official website and found Ullrich's time to be 8 h 12 min, not 9h 21. About 1 h 06 min. behind the winner, and that is far better. I looked up his time down from Timmelsjoch to the finish line and that is impressive.

On the Etape du Tour in 2007 I had the pleasure to ride alongside Greg LeMond and chat with him for a long while after the first climb. Then, when Abraham Olano caught our 100 men pack in the next valley, the pace increased noticeably (he was working for a cute spanish girl, his girl friend maybe)

--------

PS : I assumed you were talking about 2011, which is where I looked his time, will check 2012 now.
-----------

PS2 : You are right, in 2012 he indeed finished further down, 9h16min. Obviously, considering his 2011 performance, he didn't push too hard this year.
-----------
PS3
I noticed that in 2011 he finished together with Glomser
and in 2012 with Corradini,
amusing
--------
PS4
I looked at the 2011 and 2012 pix of Jan on the Oetztaler website and he does look heavier in 2012 than in 2011.

Le breton said:
When I read that I wasn't particularly impressed, as that would have made him slower (by about 7 min) than I was on my last participation to that radmarathon on my 65th birthday.
(winning time in 2011 was 7 h 06 min)

Which would put him roughly at the same level of performance as VERY VERY OVERWEIGHT (15 kg?) Greg LeMond on the Etape du Tour 2007 (he finished 9 min behind me)

So I went to look it up on the official Otztaler radmarathon official website and found Ullrich's time to be 8 h 12 min, not 9h 21. About 1 h 06 min. behind the winner, and that is far better. I looked up his time down from Timmelsjoch to the finish line and that is impressive.

On the Etape du Tour in 2007 I had the pleasure to ride alongside Greg LeMond and chat with him for a long while after the first climb. Then, when Abraham Olano caught our 100 men pack in the next valley, the pace increased noticeably (he was working for a cute spanish girl, his girl friend maybe)

--------

PS : I assumed you were talking about 2011, which is where I looked his time, will check 2012 now.
-----------

PS2 : You are right, in 2012 he indeed finished further down, 9h16min. Obviously, considering his 2011 performance, he didn't push too hard this year.
-----------
PS3
I noticed that in 2011 he finished together with Glomser
and in 2012 with Corradini,
amusing
--------
PS4
I looked at the 2011 and 2012 pix of Jan on the Oetztaler website and he does look heavier in 2012 than in 2011.

Keep in mind that Ullrich was riding the Öztaler in order to help his freind Frank Wörndl, a former slalom world champion.
In 2011 Ullrich waited approximately some 40 minutes for Wörndl. Wörndl was ill felt sick and struggled.
In 2012 Ullrich was riding along side Wörndli for the biggest part of the race. However, Wörndl again missed his targeted time of sub 9 hours.

Bavarianrider said:
Keep in mind that Ullrich was riding the Öztaler in order to help his freind Frank Wörndl, a former slalom world champion.
In 2011 Ullrich waited approximately some 40 minutes for Wörndl. Wörndl was ill felt sick and struggled.
In 2012 Ullrich was riding along side Wörndli for the biggest part of the race. However, Wörndl again missed his targeted time of sub 9 hours.

How heavy do you think he was in 2011 and in 2012?

In 2011 Ullrich waited approximately some 40 minutes for Wörndl

Obviously, if he trained at just an adequate level and was only, say, 75 kg, at 37 years of age he would easily win such an event.

Le breton said:
How heavy do you think he was in 2011 and in 2012?

In 2011 Ullrich waited approximately some 40 minutes for Wörndl

Obviously, if he trained at just an adequate level and was only, say, 75 kg, at 37 years of age he would easily win such an event.

I think in 2011 he was a bit above 80 Kilos.

No doubt.
He easily beat the 2010 winner of the Öztaler earler this year. (I rode about it in the thread)
However, during summer Ullrich couldn't train due to a back injury. So he was certainly alot heavier and not as trained in the Ötzi as alst year.
Nevertheless, in the pictueres of Vino's race Ulle looks a bit leaner again.

He he nice, 6 years out of tghe peleton and we still duscuss Ulle weight troubles:D:D:D

May 26, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
It does look like he put on 15+kg in that last pic compared to the pic in the first message! You said he was 80kg at the time, mustn't be far from 100 now, scary...

Nope, most likely the classic misstake of judging a picture. He's riding with several pieces of clothing and somehow he always looks fat in that stance.

Jan+Ullrich+2005+Tour+de+France+Stage+Twenty+Xcre7zFuYyBl.jpg

Yet just a few days earlier:

2005+Tour+de+France+Stage+Nineteen+19bPm7Jxxckl.jpg

Jan+Ullrich+2005+Tour+de+France+Stage+Twelve+4UMbyMkbHiKl.jpg

Looks rather thin actually ;)

Something about Jan's position and diaphragmic breathing can make him look like the Michelin man. Considering photographic evidence from same events show him in much better shape I think it's safe to say that Jan's weight is hard to determine from a picture.

TRENDING THREADS