• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I like this photo from Jan's fansite...:D

he says this is a 'sexy outfit'

janinsexyoutfit.jpg

Jan Ullrich will compete in the Peak to Creek relay event in Tirol this week.
He'll ride the cycling stage against Gilberto Simoni and Antonio Corradini, winner of the Ötztaler Radmarathon in 2008 and 2010.
They will clash on the Stilzer Sattel a climb of 9,65km with an average gradient of 10,5%. This will be highly interesting! Can't wait to see what Ullrich has left in his legs!

Excellent article: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...g-mistakes-and-hopes-for-a-second-chance.aspx

“There is no denying that various cases of doping have damaged cycling in recent years. I too have made mistakes,” Ullrich stated in his new column for Eurosport. “But I have finished with my own case, after years of despair, depression and physical problems.

“This is my way, even if this is not understood by all. However, I would ask for respect. I leave it each individual whether he or she thinks that I have earned a second chance.”

Ullrich is understood to have been under a lot of psychological pressure since the Puerto affair broke and said prior to the CAS decision that he just wanted a ruling made so that he could move on with his life.

He rode several Gran Fondo events last year and said that he had rediscovered his fascination with the sport. He said that he wanted to share his knowledge with readers via his new Eurosport slot.

“The time of hiding and retreat is over. I have received my punishment. Even if not I intend to return to professional cycling, cycling will remain the big love of my life,” he wrote.

“As a rider, I went each year around the world. I’ve seen a lot and gained a lot of experience. That’s what I want to share with you.”

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Giving the '06 Landis title to Pereiro, not giving '96 Riis title to Jan, with today's news, Contador's '07 and '09 results now fall under question, the '10 pass down to Schleck, there is no meaning to anything other than to askerisk the convicted doper's win.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Let me be the first to congratulate Ullrich for his multiple TdF wins.

Something tells me he'd never pick a blue cup up after the fact like a total dufus did earlier this month (or was it late last month).

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't really care what happens to those titles, after all those were dubious times. Still I did spare a thought for Jan Ullrich today.

I don't doubt that he wasn't clean although I am always curious about the whys and wherefores. But somehow I doubt that he was the instigator of the escalation that occurred in those years.

Yeah I think that all of a sudden Ulle is going to feel a lot let depressed, sure, Puerto, the German press, Doctor Franke, seeing Dopestrong make a come back, were in a pain in the rear but probably a bit of a walk in the park compared to what Dopestrong is now looking at.

Unfortunately he hasn't come clean yet, but :

1. CAS suspended him starting in 2005 because that's when he started to work with Fuentes (I guess they have a money trail)

2. In an interview to L'Equipe in 2010, Pévenage said that at one point they got tired of getting beaten by a rider who they knew was inferior so they went out and did what they had to do.

I don't think he'd put a date on that but it sounded like it was pretty late in the game, it would make sense to place that in 2004/2005 as after the 2003 Tour it seemed possible that Ulle would beat Dopestrong again.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:

1. CAS suspended him starting in 2005 because that's when he started to work with Fuentes (I guess they have a money trail)

2. In an interview to L'Equipe in 2010, Pévenage said that at one point they got tired of getting beaten by a rider who they knew was inferior so they went out and did what they had to do.

I don't think he'd put a date on that but it sounded like it was pretty late in the game, it would make sense to place that in 2004/2005 as after the 2003 Tour it seemed possible that Ulle would beat Dopestrong again.

Fair enough. But from my pessimistic (possibly realistic) point of view, surely he wasn't the only clean one in a team of certified dopers? I'd be stunned if he wasn't doped from the beginning.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:

You haven't watched the 96/97 tours have you???

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
He was doping long before 2005. You don't climb Madeleine at almost 7 w/kg on bread and water alone.

Maybe he was behind on the program during the Armstrong years, but again, how likely is it that a rider could podium Tours clean at that time

In opposite to Armstrong Ulle got the talent, the cycling style and the body to do this. Clean.

So you claim that he was doped 96, when he sat in front of the doped Bjarne for the whole Tour, when everyone saw that he would easily ride him away, if there were no team order?
I still believe he started it years later, when he saw that he can't beat less talented riders with overfulled tanks.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
slowspoke said:
You haven't watched the 96/97 tours have you???

Ask yourself when they started to test for EPO ( inherent mAcrodosing with EPO ) and who was using autologous blood doping? Your answers should elucidate that Pharmastrong doped with Microdosing earlier, used mechanistic full throttle team doping earlier, and team wide autologous blood doping earlier than any other team. More to the point, LA was pushing doping limits long before Jan/Beloki...and their respective teams.

You did see the 4-5 man blue train dropping all riders but Ulle and Beloki in the years 2001 - 2005 right? That is a good qualitative place to lay your bets.

There are different types of individual and team doping tactics.

As an aside, it would be a great time to compare various biometric values of Ulle vs LA. Leave all the foo foo propaganda parameters like cadence and TT position; even though Ulle clearly was the better positioned an streamlined TTer.

I'd love to see a comparison of VO2 Max, Lung capacity, HR/CO, Delta waves on EKG, power outputs...That data must be out there. ASO or the UCI have it right?