• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jessica Zelinka

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Galic Ho said:
It's closer to four fold, but it doesn't matter. Muscle takes up less volume than fat does.

Also Blackcat and Tyler's Twin, you two are right about anabolic steroids and women. It wasn't my intention to suggest that female's do not get a bigger boost than men, only that time wise, they hadn't caught up to the roaring 80s.

You explanation for why that hasn't happened Blackcat was good. Less testing on women like Flo Jo, more opportunity to go the whole hog and also newer drugs like HGH and IGF-1 may benefit men more. I only wanted to highlight that men are doping better than they have ever done so in track and field and women are not. But what you both said stands. I was trying to understand why it was that men are peaking time wise now and why women are still way behind the records. Your explanation was sufficient enough given the lack of investigation into what was going on back in the 70 and 80s versus today in the new millennium.

Cheers

Setting aside the acknowledgements while not diminishing them in any way, that is an eloquent overview of the doping situation over time and between the sexes.

It is peculiar how the perception that 'women would never do that' persists.

Dave.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Which is why I always sink in water :(

Fat most certainly helps in buoyancy, but there is also a natural element to it. For whatever reason, some people will always float higher than others. It's a total body composition thing. Those people make brilliant swimmers. It's what all those now banned body suits did and why the records were being smashed. People were higher in the water and their technique didn't matter as much as it had before.

To think now they're banned, we have kids breaking those records from 2008-2010. Swimming is really messed up. I'd have reset all the records back to zero when they banned the suits. But they kept them and ensured the only way to beat them was to dope up till your nostrils. Thanks FINA.:p

Galic Ho said:
Fat most certainly helps in buoyancy, but there is also a natural element to it. For whatever reason, some people will always float higher than others. It's a total body composition thing. Those people make brilliant swimmers. It's what all those now banned body suits did and why the records were being smashed. People were higher in the water and their technique didn't matter as much as it had before.

To think now they're banned, we have kids breaking those records from 2008-2010. Swimming is really messed up. I'd have reset all the records back to zero when they banned the suits. But they kept them and ensured the only way to beat them was to dope up till your nostrils. Thanks FINA.:p

Finally, I have an excuse for not beating Lance as a fourteen year old.

;)

Dave.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Finally, I have an excuse for not beating Lance as a fourteen year old.

;)

Dave.

Hahahaha:D That's funny.

Fret not, didn't Lance only come 4th in that race? There were better swimmers than both of you back in the early 80s in Texas it seems.;)

Lots of casual Triathlon fans were buying those buoyancy suits and simply by wearing them they were dropping 5-8 seconds off their 400 PBs. That was the casual crap swimmer, who doesn't focus their training around mechanics and technique. Unlike the full body suits in cycling, those swimming suits weren't mostly myth. The real deal. Worth every cent.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Gallic

the natural hormone baseline of women might be such, in comparison to men, that testo, and other steroids, and some o2 technique, gets them pretty close to 99% of their doping potential, then its all.... drum roll, marginal gains, and D-Q's rounding errors.

hgh, igf-1 (3rd gen), and other new stuff, might add a tangible, a material spurt to the male's comprehensive doping program.

good insight is watching bodybuilding, they are getting bigger and using new stuff, and not just insulin which they have been using for decades. how do they get bigger? so there is some stuff that helps them (more).

women bodybuilders too, but that aint running the 100 metres or high hurdles.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

alain bernard and james magnussen are just bodybuilders in H20.

The Arnold Classic does synchronized swimming

Galic Ho said:
Hahahaha:D That's funny.

Fret not, didn't Lance only come 4th in that race? There were better swimmers than both of you back in the early 80s in Texas it seems.;)

Lots of casual Triathlon fans were buying those buoyancy suits and simply by wearing them they were dropping 5-8 seconds off their 400 PBs. That was the casual crap swimmer, who doesn't focus their training around mechanics and technique. Unlike the full body suits in cycling, those swimming suits weren't mostly myth. The real deal. Worth every cent.

Particularly funny if we think about the whole donkey to racehorse thing.

We know he isn't a world class runner. Maybe the Tri success was because he was naturally pudgy.:D

Dave.

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
D-Queued said:
You are new here.

A suggestion: learn about ad hominems.

You may not yet appreciate it, but there are rules even here.

Dave.

You mean like rule #3?

broken ad nauseum in this thread?

I may be new here, but not new to message boards nor the accepted rules of etiquette in them... this board apparently is not closely moderated.

pointing out the pathetic or ill-informed nature of someone's post is, even according to the rules in this board, fair game. If people post stupidity, addressing the posts as such is fair game.

A suggestion: avoid preaching, especially when ignoring worse behaviour from those you happen to agree with... or just look up "hypocrite".

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
truesport said:
You mean like rule #3?

I may be new here, but not new to message boards nor the accepted rules of etiquette in them... this board apparently is not closely moderated.

pointing out the pathetic or ill-informed nature of someone's post is, even according to the rules in this board, fair game. If people post stupidity, addressing the posts as such is fair game.

A suggestion: avoid preaching, especially when ignoring worse behaviour from those you happen to agree with... or just look up "hypocrite".
rule #3 is, there are no rules in fightclub.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
alitogata said:
It is impossible for women because women's physiology doesn't allow them to have such muscle mass by their own training and efforts. This is how women's body is made and being a woman athlete from my youth I can assure you that there's no chance to have such appearance without doping.
Disagree with that. There are a couple of women in the local gym who are nearly as lean as Zelinka and they sure as hell aren't doping just to fill out their lulu pants. Hell, my wife has lean and muscular back and shoulders from yoga/cycling/weight training. Not to the extent of Zelinka's musculature, and not that ripped, but given that Zelinka is an elite athlete and my wife is not, I don't think that Zelinka's appearance in those photos means she must be doping. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. I trust a track athlete about as far as I can shotput them. But women can put on muscle and become lean. When you see a picture of her in a semi-relaxed state, she doesn't exactly look like Serena. Just a very fit woman.
90x3tk.jpg

truesport said:
Nasty?
sorry dude, nasty is defaming and insulting a real athlete out of jealousy because one's greatest contact with real sport is lurking around a message board while sitting on mom & dad's couch.

I'm not sitting on your mom and dad's couch, chief. Your spot is safe.

Not thin skinned at all. I'm actually laughing at you. :D

FWIW, she was issued a first strike for a missed dope test.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

If this could have been mentioned in the first post, or first page at least, this thread would have been a lot better. That is a better basis for starting a thread like this then judging by pictures alone.

I am glad someone finally pointed that out.

(Although we may not have had a mention of Andreia Brazier, which I am thankful to whomever did that)

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
rule #3 is, there are no rules in fightclub.

Rule No.1: No talking about Fight Club.

Rule No.2: No talking about Fight Club.

You just broke rules one and two.

Rule No.3: someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over.

I have a nice poster of all the rules of Fight Club from about a decade ago nicely laminated. I've got them all down pat...I think.

Rule No.4: Only two guys to a fight.

Rule No.5: One fight at a time fellas.

Rule No.6: No shirts, no shoes. (this one would be good in all female sports, but sadly ain't forum friendly or PC friendly)

Rule No.7: Fights will go on as long as they have to.

Rule No.8: If it's your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

I always did like the following quote. It explains many things in pro sports relating to doping.

"Self-improvement is masturbation. Now, self-destruction …"

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
amp300 said:
If this could have been mentioned in the first post, or first page at least, this thread would have been a lot better. That is a better basis for starting a thread like this then judging by pictures alone.

I am glad someone finally pointed that out.

(Although we may not have had a mention of Andreia Brazier, which I am thankful to whomever did that)

That was me. If you watch the Olympia stuff, she should be performing there. Pretty sure there are pay for view streams online.

I think you can get that ripped clean, but you need the genetics and some serious dedication. It's not easy. She looks almost that good all year around. Not as defined but still in darn good shape.

Apparently she just started training with some Dubai based MMA guy. Whilst I think most MMA guys are jacked, I've never heard of him. He doesn't look like the lug heads in the States. So that didn't change my opinion of her. I understand that look isn't every womans cup of tea, let alone talking about what men like to see, but it's how they chose to live. No quarrels from me there.

The thing with Zelinka is naturally times. Her hurdles time is about on par with that of Jessica Ennis. Enough to make the Olympic final grade but still 0.3 seconds off Gold.

Moose McKnuckles said:

Apparently she had to be in 2 places at the same time. At least one of them wasn't Mexico. ;)

"Jessica Zelinka had flown to Ontario (edit:Toronto) for the Olympic Heroes Parade in September when drug testers knocked on her door in Calgary to find her not home."

Click > Zelinka has strike for missed drug test;athletes have mixed feelings on protocol

At least she made it to Toronto for the parade:

sept2012heroesparade.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Rule No.1: No talking about Fight Club.

Rule No.2: No talking about Fight Club.

You just broke rules one and two.

Rule No.3: someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over.

I have a nice poster of all the rules of Fight Club from about a decade ago nicely laminated. I've got them all down pat...I think.

Rule No.4: Only two guys to a fight.

Rule No.5: One fight at a time fellas.

Rule No.6: No shirts, no shoes. (this one would be good in all female sports, but sadly ain't forum friendly or PC friendly)

Rule No.7: Fights will go on as long as they have to.

Rule No.8: If it's your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

I always did like the following quote. It explains many things in pro sports relating to doping.

"Self-improvement is masturbation. Now, self-destruction …"
fark that.

meta rules of Fight Club

I make the f'n rules

I rule

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
FitSsikS said:
Apparently she had to be in 2 places at the same time. At least one of them wasn't Mexico. ;)

"Jessica Zelinka had flown to Ontario (edit:Toronto) for the Olympic Heroes Parade in September when drug testers knocked on her door in Calgary to find her not home."

Click > Zelinka has strike for missed drug test;athletes have mixed feelings on protocol

At least she made it to Toronto for the parade:

sept2012heroesparade.jpg
was she not in the Dolomiti with Chicken, chowing down on Chipotle organic burritos?

truesport said:
You mean like rule #3?

I am an equal opportunity critic.

If you regard a recommendation as preaching, then I can only imagine what difficulties there might be with organized religion.

BTW, if I look up hypocrite, can I replace your picture with mine?

As for the moderation, I regard myself as a relative neophyte. However, while still a middle-weight here I am the number one poster on a number of other cycling sites.

If that paucity of experience has provided any grounds for learned observation, the moderation here is as close, and as fair, as I have had the opportunity to witness on any other cycling forum.

There is even a thread where you can complain about the moderators.

Thus, suggestion #2 might be that you consider re-posting your message on that thread.

This thread is about Jessica Zelinka. And, by inference, doping of Canadian female athletes. More on that later.

It is odd for a cycling forum to discuss a heptathlete, but at least the discussion is within the Clinic.

Dave.

Dear Wiggo said:
.....but any idea if this is what a 31 year old woman can expect to look like with dedicated training and a good diet?

No this is not "what a 31 year old woman can expect to look like with dedicated training and a good diet."

An athletically gifted woman? Yes!

An athletically gifted and/or androgenic (natural or otherwise) woman? Yes!

Most Successful Doper Embraced by Canadian Women's Team

Back to the topic of this thread, Jessica may or may not have enjoyed performance enhancement.

If she has, she is in very good company. The women of Canada's National Sport have decided to embrace the biggest sports fraud ever.

http://blog.livestrong.org/2013/02/...nada-world-womens-hockey-championship-jersey/

Canada loves dopers so much, that the national sport has even thrown out its national colors and has completely sold out.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Back to the topic of this thread, Jessica may or may not have enjoyed performance enhancement.

If she has, she is in very good company. The women of Canada's National Sport have decided to embrace the biggest sports fraud ever.

http://blog.livestrong.org/2013/02/...nada-world-womens-hockey-championship-jersey/

Canada loves dopers so much, that the national sport has even thrown out its national colors and has completely sold out.

Dave.

Just saw that on the news, almost puked up my back bacon!

That's a shot in the arm for Cancer awareness and survivorship.

Or perhaps somewhere other than the arm, you know, where it won't show.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Dave.

I had NOT seen that. What the hell were Hockey Canada thinking??

I wonder how much of a kickback they are getting on those?

Time for a letter writing campaign on this one.

TRENDING THREADS