• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Johan Bruyneel talks AC/LA

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VeloFidelis said:
That's not really politics, that's stupidity. It was a subtle irony, I admit.

It cracks the door open. I know it wasn't politics, but a hanging curveball for someone who wanted to take this somewhere it doesn't belong. What is the cycling analogy. 'a false descent' or a 'tailwind'?

I assume somewhere on cn there is a politics sub-group, where people who make this end of the forum look cool calm collected and utterly reasonable reside.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
First of all, George would never announce to anyone that Columbia was going to split the field in the crosswind, because he is smart enough to know that wanting it to happen and making it happen in a TDF peloton are two completely different things. If you think things are that scripted in the heat of a race then you are sadly mistaken and, so is the non cycling sports writer who improperly deduced and penned it. But it is very dramatic isn't it. Do you suppose that is coincidence?

I look at it this way. Two veteran Tour riders saw an opportunity coming and were smart enough to put themselves in position to take advantage of it. It was not a guaranteed anything, and there was certainly no time to "alert" anyone. If Contador had been on Lance's wheel the move would still have gone, and had less chance of success because of Contador being in it, but hey... Columbia was ****ed at having to do all the work so they decided to put everyone in the hurt locker for a while. It certainly didn't do anything to help their TTT performance, but they had an opportunity and took a chance. If you really think the TDF was going to be decided in a crosswind on stage 3, then you are not a very experienced fan.

But here's another perspective. I bet you are from the "Contador should be the team leader" school. "He's earned it". Well first of all, earning it includes paying attention in a crosswind. Secondly, common sense says that the 26 year old Tour favorite should have no problem taking minutes out of most of his competition in the mountains, and that includes the 38 year old retired guy. So what is the problem with seeing that retired guy covering the break? That's kind of his responsibility isn't it? Armstrong never pulled at the front, and Popovich and Zubeldia only did after is was obvious to all that no more than a minute at the most was ever going to be gained by the finish.

Are you suggesting that Armstrong should have dropped back as a gesture of good will? Because that is not how it works either. Contador got ***** slapped by the race for a moments inattention. His Tour de France was never in jeapordy. Do you think it will ever happen again??... I don't either.

If this is the best you can up with in an effort to show Armstrong riding against Contador, then you don't know jack about racing, and you should continue to read your TDF postings by those journalists the who just got in from covering Wimbledon. I am sure their insights are spot on.

So the Hog telling his team to drill the split when their leader is in the back group is a good thing? If the rolls were reversed the fanboys would be crying like they did the entire Tour

So funny to hear people who have never pinned on a number pretend they know what they are talking about.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
Pssst, it's a grand tour that lasts three weeks. It's not all decided on the first time trial. You clearly don't know the first thing about cycling. Kloden was not the better rider over the whole tour, which is why he finished by LC in the GC. We don't know how Levi would have done - if it was anything like his performance in the Giro then he would have been behind too.

Funny because Armstrong and the Hog said they would know by the first stage who the leader was. It was clear it was Contador.

Kloden sacrificed his chances by towing Armstrong. He was stronger in the TT's

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
Eva is one of these internet rumour mongers who thinks its really intelligent and 'in the know' to believe every bit of gossip they hear and restate it as fact.

If you insist on attacking the messenger

The Arbiter is one of the fans who is more then willing to embarrass themselves defending his hero.

Eva Maria said:
So the Hog telling his team to drill the split when their leader is in the back group is a good thing? If the rolls were reversed the fanboys would be crying like they did the entire Tour

So funny to hear people who have never pinned on a number pretend they know what they are talking about.

By the way, in case you missed it in the article you read. His team wasn't there to tell them to, "drill the split"' Dude!

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
By the way, in case you missed it in the article you read. His team wasn't there to tell them to, "drill the split"' Dude!
There were three Astana's in the split. They have these new things called radio's, maybe you have heard of them?The Hog told them to drill it over the radio.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:
There were three Astana's in the split. They have these new things called radio's, maybe you have heard of them?The Hog told them to drill it over the radio.

Yes, because when the guy who you know is going to win the race in the mountains is in the second group, and another guy who you want on the podium is in the front, you tell the team to open a gap. It wasn't to screw Contador, it was go gain LA time on everyone else who got caught out. This really isn't that hard. Contador makes up that kind of time in 3km on the top of a climb in the Alps.

The race is over, we can really stop trying to dissect it now.

Eva Maria said:
6 years living and racing in Europe....How about yourself? A couple Tri's and a Century?

Dude! I raced with Merckx! We drilled a lot of splits together.

In all seriousness, I sense your credibility waning. No body cares what you say your experience is, It's all so conveniently unprovable. Just state your opinion and defend it if you can. There is no bibliography needed for all your extremely credible and clandestine resources and references.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
colwildcat said:
Yes, because when the guy who you know is going to win the race in the mountains is in the second group, and another guy who you want on the podium is in the front, you tell the team to open a gap. It wasn't to screw Contador, it was go gain LA time on everyone else who got caught out. This really isn't that hard. Contador makes up that kind of time in 3km on the top of a climb in the Alps.

The race is over, we can really stop trying to dissect it now.

Or you are Armstrong. You come into the Tour thinking you are going to win, only to have your A$$ handed to you in the first TT. You try to put some time between you and your strongest competition, your two teammates.

"Every Second Counts"

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
Dude! I raced with Merckx! We drilled a lot of splits together.

In all seriousness, I sense your credibility waning. No body cares what you say your experience is, It's all so conveniently unprovable. Just state your opinion and defend it if you can. There is no bibliography needed for all your extremely credible and clandestine resources and references.

There are a few on this board who know exactly who I am. You may not want to read what I write, but I will continue to write it.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
Eva is one of these internet rumour mongers who thinks its really intelligent and 'in the know' to believe every bit of gossip they hear and restate it as fact.

I would more willingly entertain some of it, if she (he) didn't spend so much time in all of the Armstrong threads. Fun is fun. Calling out Armstrong to pull down the fanboys off of the lurker bar for some trollish delight. But this is getting weird.

Eva Maria said:
There are a few on this board who know exactly who I am. You may not want to read what I write, but I will continue to write it.

I'm happy to read it, and even engage in debate some solid points. When you get tired of trying to impress us, maybe you will make some.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:

Kloden did help pace LA in Verbier - i believe he could probably keep up with the Frank Schleck bunch - the point is not only he would have gained time on LA, but also LA would be dropped even further. Kloden did better in both time trials, but somehow he just didnt have that fire to get himself on the podium after the le grand bornard stg 17.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The Astana antics/problems/mind games were really and truthfully set in motion with vino's announcement of his plans to return and sack LA and JB. There was no way in hell JB (and LA and the rest of the team including AC) could ignore that chicken **** little doper's Kaj-jack announcement. And you trash-talkers who chose to ignore Veenial's bleatings before the time trial in Monaco are skirt-wearing Nancys.:p

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
Forget Lance's tweets. He's an ***! It's well documented. But he's not a bad team mate. I challenge you to point to one instance on the road where he rode against Contador. He clearly stated he came to win. That is not the same as " I came to f@ck over my team mate". It just means to will be decided on the road.

But I also don't think a rider should be gifted the Tour if a team mate can contest it without working directly against him, and aside from the media barrage of BS and innuendo, no one has shown any example of that. Please ignore the headlines and the Twitter posts and give an example on the road. I'm dying to see it.

Lance will go on to Radio Shack and Bruyneel will come with the best of the Astana riders in tow. Any other solid Pro with half a brain, and no contract will make a solid career move and sign on as well. Alberto will likely go to a Spanish team where he feels loved and respected, but he will pay a lot of attention to the details and the team make up, because he knows better than all of us that it takes a very good team to win the TDF. And if he doesn't have one nearly as good as Astana, he won't.

-The reason LA didnt attack in the mountain (let me not say attack Contador) was because he simply didnt have the legs. forget about gaining time on flat stage (except ITT), though LA gained some 40+ seconds on AC. If say LA could follow Andy Schleck's attack while AC couldnt, he would have gone without AC, but that scenario simply didnt happen.

-Sure a teammate can contest the Tour without working directly against the designated leader - that's why at the beginning of the race LA and AC tried to grab maillot jaune. once AC got yellow, LA knew better not to attack him, but that didnt stop him from attacking in the media.

-Is it confirmed that Bruyneel is going to radio shack? That's sad for him. I have no doubt he'd have another team win, but I wouldnt bet on him to have the winner of the tour.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
montagna lunga said:
The Astana antics/problems/mind games were really and truthfully set in motion with vino's announcement of his plans to return and sack LA and JB. There was no way in hell JB (and LA and the rest of the team including AC) could ignore that chicken **** little doper's Kaj-jack announcement. And you trash-talkers who chose to ignore Veenial's bleatings before the time trial in Monaco are skirt-wearing Nancys.:p

I thought it was curious that a sanctioned rider could attempt such disruption at the tour. Makes me wish they'd extend the ban to a minimum of 5 years.

Reading the article a couple more times, I still believe he's full of sh!t-although it cannot be denied the following "positive" aspects (if you like to call them that way)
-His loyalty to his long time friend/partner in crime LA
-His commitment to achieve objectives
-His stubbornness
-His "financial view" of cycling
-His "cleverness" to move around the cycling world without any apparent boundaries....
but once again I still believe he's full of sh!t......

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It's contractual

Eva Maria said:
Funny because Armstrong and the Hog said they would know by the first stage who the leader was. It was clear it was Contador.

My..word, weren't you payning attention when LA won with Postal all those times? He won, in part, because he was willing to pay him team well, so he had very strong team support.

Kloden was OBVIOUSLY never an option for GC contender on Astana because he was contractually obligated to support LA! That was his purpose on the tarmac!

The whole drama that LA manufactured was to get the other members to work for him and not for AC. And apparently only Paulhino stayed loyal to AC, because MONEY TALKS!

How hard is it to understand that professional cycling is all about the $$$!!??:confused:

A

Anonymous

Eva Maria said:
If you insist on attacking the messenger

The Arbiter is one of the fans who is more then willing to embarrass themselves defending his hero.

Yawn... Ok Eva, you were fun before but now I'm bored.

When you post, make sure you have some sweet never before heard tidbit that's completely unverifiable heresay to keep all the tongues wagging at your unbelievable scoop.... because it's.... well ... unbelieveable.

Peace, out.

kukiniloa said:
Kloden was OBVIOUSLY never an option for GC contender on Astana because he was contractually obligated to support LA! That was his purpose on the tarmac!

Uh-huh. I am sure Kloden's contract, signed before Armstrong joined the team, had a special clause requiring him to support LA rather than the designated team leader.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
business is business

BroDeal said:
Uh-huh. I am sure Kloden's contract, signed before Armstrong joined the team, had a special clause requiring him to support LA rather than the designated team leader.

You must have an MBA because you obviously know nothing about business.
The first rule is: everything is negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS