• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Johnny Hoogerland

Interview with him in De Telegraaf today. He says that since november 2009, the UCI has been controlling him a lot, up to 20 times so far. Ofcourse, giving the same answer most people do "let them come, I have nothing to hide, I want a clean sport blabla".
He also defends Cancellara in the article and says people who doubt Cancellara should just learn to accept that he was the best and not search other reasons why.

So, the UCI does pick up on suprises. But, how effective are they really? Didn't the biggest doping busts last years come from AFLD or CONI?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Interview with him in De Telegraaf today. He says that since november 2009, the UCI has been controlling him a lot, up to 20 times so far. Ofcourse, giving the same answer most people do "let them come, I have nothing to hide, I want a clean sport blabla".
He also defends Cancellara in the article and says people who doubt Cancellara should just learn to accept that he was the best and not search other reasons why.

So, the UCI does pick up on suprises. But, how effective are they really? Didn't the biggest doping busts last years come from AFLD or CONI?

If they're testing him that often, the only possible explanation is that they have noticed abnormal variations in his results, and are trying to get a positive so they can nail him.

Can't say I'm surprised in the slightest

Actually nailing him, is another matter.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think any neo pro who performs as well as him can expect scrutiny and disbelief.

Certainly having a reputation as a bigtime doper as an amateur doesn't help.

The nickname "Johnny Testosteroney" probably doesn't help.

Mongol_Waaijer said:
I think any neo pro who performs as well as him can expect scrutiny and disbelief.

Well he isn't really a neo-pro. I note he has a tattoo on his arm. Interestingly this is a common practice in cycling circles. I understand that it hides the needle marks!

I get very dissappointed (suspicious) when I see a guy jump out of the pack! My experience is that it takes dedication and a couple of years to step up. Johnny had results earlier.

Unfortunately the UCI doesn't seem to care!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

His positive for testosterone at age 18 helps even less

timmers said:
Well he isn't really a neo-pro.

Mongol_Waaijer is referring to last season, when he was a neo-pro and had quite outstanding results.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I don't like the UCI, but they can not bust anybody without proof. If they are testing him so many times that means that they are suspicious but don't have enough evidence on hands that will hold on court.

I think the best approach by the UCI is going after the youngsters. It is better to throw the rotten apples before they start winning big and then it becomes a hassle to bust them. I am not sure if they are actually doing it but it would serve the purpose best. Besides the higher in the ranks the rider is (Contador, Armstrong, Schleck) the harder it is to catch them. They don't like the bad publicity either. So why not going after the neo-pros.

My 2 cents.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You probably only heard half of the story. His testosterone/epitestosterone ratio was too high. Subsequently the UCI quarantained him in Cologne for a couple of days, and it turned out these levels were natural. He was formally acquitted.

I know about that.

However also know about Martial Saugy of the Lausanne lab criticising the UCI for essentially "acquitting for natural values" people that in no way should be allowed to, which made me extremely sceptical of such cases. Especially with Johny Testosterone.

Saugy gave as an example the fact that Riccò was acquitted once as an under-23 because of "naturally high blood values" that nowadays are much lower "somehow"

May 6, 2009
Visit site
One of our Dutch posters said Hoogerland did 9,000km of training in the off season, I guess there has to be some benefit there. Or is he known for doing that much riding?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
One of our Dutch posters said Hoogerland did 9,000km of training in the off season, I guess there has to be some benefit there. Or is he known for doing that much riding?

how long is the off season? Its not uncommon to hear pros put in 1000km in a week. So if your off season is 3 months...700km per week will get you to 9000.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
@wiggians-fan, yes youcan have legs like that clean. Johnny may dope, I dont know, but even on dope he put in an epic to finish on sunday.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Put it this way. He went into the barbed wire and someone took photos of his bare ****. Some saw some unusual marks there. The next day (or was it the day after?) he got a 7am call from the drug testers.

Doesn't stop him being hard as nails though.

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Put it this way. He went into the barbed wire and someone took photos of his bare ****. Some saw some unusual marks there. The next day (or was it the day after?) he got a 7am call from the drug testers.

Doesn't stop him being hard as nails though.

Really? How did that conversation go?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins_fan said:
Really? How did that conversation go?

Probably like this:

"Have you seen what people on the internet and twitter have been saying about Hoogerland"
"What, about his crash?"
"Well, yes, but also the picture of his bare bum"
"What about it?"
"Well there were a few marks on his bum that looked like needle marks"
"Really, show me"
"There, look"
"I see them. Can't really tell conclusively. But let's test him anyway"

I'm not one to accuse without reason, but he was worth investigating and he apparently has a reputation.

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I meant the conversation between Hoogerland and the drug testers. I thought you meant they called him directly :confused: I'm gonna go study the pictures of his bum now (no homo)

TRENDING THREADS