• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 215 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think he's pretty conservative and calculating of nature honestly, but when he sees an opportunity and he thinks he most likely has the upper hand, he will try to deal the killing blow if its favours him. He's a smart rider and rides to his strengths. And he doesn't care if there's a descent afterwards or its the second last climb. That I really like about Jonas

I wouldn't call him calculating or smart. When he feels good, he attacks. When the plan is to defend, he defends.
He knows how to defend himself better, but last year and this year, he attacked a lot when he didn't needed to do.

Nevertheless, he is improving his killer instinct, because when i look at the Tour 2022, i think he could had killed the race on peyragudes, when McNulty did a great job.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tbf I think part of the Tourmalet/Cauterets disaster was probably a misevaluation from the DS. Jumbo thought after the day before they can kill of Pogacar for good and were convinced he could just drop him off the wheel again like on Col de Marie-Blanque, Hautacam, Ventoux...
Outside of that he rode relatively smart, not panicking on Puy de Dome or Joux Plane and just patiently waiting for Pogacar to show weakness. But overall he hasn't been put in many race situations were you have to race smartly because his team has always been super dominant and being at least the second strongest rider in the peleton helps to cover over a lot of potential cracks.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Jonas pulling like that was very similar to Pog doing it on Galibier. They both thought they were just stronger, but turned out they werent. Vingegaard didn't get to pay a very steeo price for it like Pog

I do think he's prety smart though generally
I don't thinks Vingo is very smart, but I reckon that what we get from pro riders are comments and statements when their brain are running on slow amounts of O2.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Tim Heemskerk (his coach):

‘He's been away with his family in Mallorca, but now he's starting altitude training in Tignes. It's a new step for him and now it's starting to look like normal training.’

‘He arrived at altitude yesterday (Tuesday, ed.) and initially there's not much training. He just has to adapt to the altitude.

The two-time Tour winner's coach also admits that he is surprised at how much Jonas Vingegaard has improved since the crash on 4 April.

‘We are trying to increase his fitness on the bike, but also to strengthen his shoulder through exercises and get him closer to the optimal weight,’ says Tim Heemskerk.

‘My hope is that he can train with the rest of the team when they come to Tignes after the Dauphiné for the pre-Tour training camp and become a full member of the team. No decision has been made yet. Right now the most important thing is today and tomorrow.’

‘He has prepared himself in the best possible way by doing some climbing and training descents in Mallorca, where he really got back up to speed for the first time. There it was about being somewhere with a good climate and where he could enjoy the time around training with his family. In Tignes, it's more about performance with normal training, massages etc.’ says Tim Heemskerk.

86 days before the Tour: Crash, broken ribs and punctured lung, hospitalisation in ICU.
74 days before the Tour: Leaves hospital.
61 days before the Tour: First day on a home-trainer.
53 days before the Tour: First day training outside in Denmark.
41 days before the Tour: First day training in Mallorca.
34 days before the Tour: First day training in the French Alps near Annecy.
32 days before the Tour: Altitude training in Tignes.

Tim Heemskerk (his coach):

‘He's been away with his family in Mallorca, but now he's starting altitude training in Tignes. It's a new step for him and now it's starting to look like normal training.’

‘He arrived at altitude yesterday (Tuesday, ed.) and initially there's not much training. He just has to adapt to the altitude.

The two-time Tour winner's coach also admits that he is surprised at how much Jonas Vingegaard has improved since the crash on 4 April.

‘We are trying to increase his fitness on the bike, but also to strengthen his shoulder through exercises and get him closer to the optimal weight,’ says Tim Heemskerk.

‘My hope is that he can train with the rest of the team when they come to Tignes after the Dauphiné for the pre-Tour training camp and become a full member of the team. No decision has been made yet. Right now the most important thing is today and tomorrow.’

‘He has prepared himself in the best possible way by doing some climbing and training descents in Mallorca, where he really got back up to speed for the first time. There it was about being somewhere with a good climate and where he could enjoy the time around training with his family. In Tignes, it's more about performance with normal training, massages etc.’ says Tim Heemskerk.

Starting to look like normal training. In other words he was doing Nibali-getting -dropped-by-his-dad level training before