• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 222 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If someone isn't properly acclimatised to the altitude then 2650m is very troublesome. I wasn't just thinking Pogacar attacking either, perhaps someone like Carapaz or Bernal might see it as an opportunity to try and test the injured 3, they aren't going to drop everyone of course but if you can properly dispatch 1 of them then that's a great result, and the rest would probably pile on. Ineos tho I suppose.

That descent finish looks very Carlos Rodriguez.

Is it really? If you drill it and go full gas, and the stage has been hard, it might be enough. Its very similar to the climb to Livigno this year, but this is not Dani Martinez and Geraint Thomas.

6.8% of average gradient should be enough: UAE dream team drilling like crazy coupled with Pogacar's attack can produce decent gaps, methinks, if Vingo is not fully ready.

If someone isn't properly acclimatised to the altitude then 2650m is very troublesome. I wasn't just thinking Pogacar attacking either, perhaps someone like Carapaz or Bernal might see it as an opportunity to try and test the injured 3, they aren't going to drop everyone of course but if you can properly dispatch 1 of them then that's a great result, and the rest would probably pile on. Ineos tho I suppose.

If those two attack, Pogacar will of course tag along and counter attack.

I think UAE will put a huge tempo which will drop Carapaz and Bernal. When Yates is the only one left to launch Pogacar, I don't think many will be able to follow.

Stage 4 could already be carnage, there's a bunch of teams with incentive to try and bury their rivals early before they can get a head of steam. Whoever is feeling good will think the others will have come in underdone or injured, not a chance they will want Vingegaard cooking in week 3 on those hard stages with only a small deficit.

4e94c
It will be hard for them to take time on Vingegaard in altitude, even if he starts a bit cooked.

Pretty sure he will be ready for the tour.
He had a training ride on 5h 30m this tuesday in Tignes.

The bluff is so obvious. He will be there and in great shape.

The bluff is so obvious. He will be there and in great shape.

Vingegaard's team is an issue.

Even with Vinge at 100%, he doesn't have the teammates to drill the hardest multi col mountain stages like in 2022 & 2023. The loss of Van Baarle is a serious blow in that regard, meanwhile others (like Laporte, Van Aert & Kuss) are nowhere near last year's levels for various reasons.

It means UAE will dictate the pace.

Even with Vinge at 100%, he doesn't have the teammates to drill the hardest multi col mountain stages like in 2022 & 2023. The loss of Van Baarle is a serious blow in that regard, meanwhile others (like Laporte, Van Aert & Kuss) are nowhere near last year's levels for various reasons.

I am a concerned with Kuss, i don't know if he crashed or not yesterday, nevertheless Jorgenson has been a good surprise.

Let's see in what kind of shape they will be in the Tour.

Disagree. Tratnik + Jorgenson>>>>Van Baarle + NVH in the high mountains. They might be weaker in the flat-ish stages but they're deffo stronger for the multi col mountain stages.

Disagree. Tratnik + Jorgenson>>>>Van Baarle + NVH in the high mountains. They might be weaker in the flat-ish stages but they're deffo stronger for the multi col mountain stages.
And that's something they missed on col du tourmalet last year before Kelderman and Kuss take the front in the last 4.5 km of Tourmalet. The pace was too low with Nathan, van baarle, benoot, laporte.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Though, quite a blow with Van Baarle out, the 'invisible role' in Capitain de la Route guidance with steady hand should not be underestimated in relation to the ability to "wrap Jonas safely".

(Nota Bene; Le Tour does not just go uphill all the way the 3 weeks from Florence to Nice)
Nathan will also be a big loss on wrap Jonas safely.

Tratnik will have to do that job.

At Visma Lease a Bike there is no certainty about the selection for the Tour, since Van Aert and Vingegaard are not yet at the top level. “We’re still in doubt about both Jonas and Wout. There were all kinds of scenarios, but there was no concrete scenario. [...]”

And then there is the theme of Van Aert-Vingegaard: what about the two? Niermann is clear: “They are not what they should be, no. Otherwise it would be clear. They have both fallen hard and are not at last year’s level. We need to look at how much sense it makes. They prepare them and that is going well, but it is not the level that they reached exactly one year ago. It is certainly achievable, but we make decisions.”

Logic suggests he's honest about them...but there's also possibility he's playing mind games. 50-50 in my opinion

Vingo's training shortcomings are obvious so I think he's honest there. However, I do think they are doing whatever they can to improve Vingo as quickly as possible and decide in the last moment. With crashes of their top stars hampering the season maybe they are being a bit desparate here wanting to make an impact at the Tour.

Last edited: