• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I never thought he was overrated. How can you possibly overrate someone so young - still only 21? They have not reached their potential.
You can be overrated or underrated as both old or young. I don’t think it’s an age thing but a hype thing.
Agree! He will top around 22/23 year
Why would he top at 22, 23 of age? That would be unlikely. Fx Pogacar still improving year by year.

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
For a long time I felt he was a little overrated, but today he stepped up. I even think he could had followed 2023 Vingegaard today.

View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1776679120383967714

What do you base that on?

Firstly, Jonas was 13 seconds faster.
Secondly Jonas climed in headwind, wheras Ayuso climbed in tailwind. Huge difference.
Thirdly Jonas was alone, Ayuso was not.

That being said - i don't think he is overrated either. He is a huge talent.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
You can be overrated or underrated as both old or young. I don’t think it’s an age thing but a hype thing.

Why would he top at 22, 23 of age? That would be unlikely. Fx Pogacar still improving year by year.
Nobody knows when riders will peak. I’d consider myself a neutral observer on Ayuso. Got to admit I was impressed by his early results at such a young age. Pog is an obvious outlier.

I don’t think Ayuso was hyped. To the contrary, people here started downplaying his potential prematurely IMO. Personally I like tenacious climbers - not natural climbers but strong. That’s Ayuso.

That's not how it works. Pogacar came in touch with professionalism at a later age, thereby leaving more room for improvement. He was 20 when he was still riding for Ljubljana, and by the time he got to UAE the Lampre stink was still over that team. Ayuso otoh, was riding high end bikes, training hard and working with a dietician at age 17, and came into a UAE team that had made strides into becoming a splendid team top to bottom.

Progression ain't a linear thing, but having access to the best situation is likely to make one peak/stagnate at an earlier age. It is something I think we'll be seeing a lot of in the near future, in this what I can professional junior era.

Even if Ayuso peaks at 23 he could still reach a level that enables him to win Grand Tours. I would actually say that the level that he showed in this Itzulia would be enough for him to win this Giro if he was the UAE leader instead of Pogačar. 2024 seems to be the year, he is stepping up to become one of the best GC riders in the world.

Next he is doing the Ardennes where I honestly don't have too many expectations and then according to PCS he is apparently riding Romandie which is a surprise given how much he is riding in April. I think originally he was planning to ride the Dauphiné even though that's not on PCS anymore, and likely without Vingegaard and Remco, he could be Roglič's only big rival there and then in the Tour, Ayuso will be a major weapon for UAE to play as he is stronger than any secondary leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93