• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ayuso himself said he had a mechanical. He was well positioned with 2 km to go and then completely disappeared.

New I wasnt crazy that I had seen him late into the race still there on that stage. Was weird when I saw he had finished so far down and it was Soler who had finished first. Because I was pretty sure I had seen his number.

But that explains it all and he just had bad luck in the end it seems then. Still a decent performance in his first race of the year. Could be good for him not to get into the spotlight immediately, but it will probably happen sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
That was an amazing ride today. But he did too much work and Vingeaard had that bit more energy left at the end.

FMnEJm4WQAkWA3m

Reactions: Sandisfan
On the final ascent, one could see that Ayuso still hasn‘t got the level of a world class man like Vingegaard (and Vingegaard clearly already has nearly top shape, according to his face and legs). But that is totally normal, because Ayuso only is/would be in his second year of the U23 category.

UAE will take good care of him, and send him to exactly these races just like Drome today: so he will have the possibility to do 180-200 km races against the best. He probably soon will be able to go full gas also on a final climb like there was today. Today, he gained valuable experience, and scored a nice fourth place. Perfect weekend for him, I would say.

Also a really nice start to his season 2022, in general: few weeks ago, a nice Top-20 GC result in Valenciana. Then yesterday, he finished within the first bigger group of chasers, and today almost managed to podium against (among others) the WC Alaphilippe.

Totally realistic that he, even, scores his first professional victory later in 2022…

In my humble opinion, Ayuso already has the level to duke it out with the big boys. What was lacking today is experience, he simply did too much work and run out of energy, while Vingegaard managed his efforts a little bit better.
He will score his first pro victory very soon.
He's already battling with the big boys in the finale, the question is whether you need to expect him to win. But your comment is somewhat contradictory imho. He didn't do too much work, he was simply not strong enough yet to be able to do that much work. He didn't do more work than what should be expected of someone in that situation. I got the distinct impression it was Vingegaard that was the main force in the front group, not Ayuso. Nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong, but if you are arguing he lacked experience and should have worked less then that kind of means he doesn't have the level yet to duke it out with the big boys. If he needs to do much less work than his rivals in order to win, then it simply means he isn't at that level yet, doesn't it?

His posture on the bike kind of reminds me of Van der Poel. Don't know if i'm the only one.

He's already battling with the big boys in the finale, the question is whether you need to expect him to win. But your comment is somewhat contradictory imho. He didn't do too much work, he was simply not strong enough yet to be able to do that much work. He didn't do more work than what should be expected of someone in that situation. I got the distinct impression it was Vingegaard that was the main force in the front group, not Ayuso. Nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong, but if you are arguing he lacked experience and should have worked less then that kind of means he doesn't have the level yet to duke it out with the big boys. If he needs to do much less work than his rivals in order to win, then it simply means he isn't at that level yet, doesn't it?

His posture on the bike kind of reminds me of Van der Poel. Don't know if i'm the only one.

Yes, he doesn't lift his torso too much while going out of the saddle and the shoulders are kind of similar.

He looked better today than in Valenciana, I am curious to see how will he do in the classics, he could already be a legitimate candidate to the Brabantse Pijl and Amstel. I am however against sending him to the Vuelta at such a young age, he would be one year younger than Pogi and would have to work for him and/or Almeida, so riding L'Avenir instead seems like the safest option and next year with more experience debuting in a Grand Tour.

Vingegaard was indeed the main force in the last 10 km, or so. Ayuso did much of the work before that, and that's where he burned his matches.

Yes, he doesn't lift his torso too much while going out of the saddle and the shoulders are kind of similar.

He looked better today than in Valenciana, I am curious to see how will he do in the classics, he could already be a legitimate candidate to the Brabantse Pijl and Amstel. I am however against sending him to the Vuelta at such a young age, he would be one year younger than Pogi and would have to work for him and/or Almeida, so riding L'Avenir instead seems like the safest option and next year with more experience debuting in a Grand Tour.

Amstel Gold Race is 70km longer than todays race, in a much better field, with competitors in much better shape and with quite a long finale in recent years. It would really surprise me if he can survive the Amstel until the finale already.

Brabantse Pijl is basically on the same roads as Druivenkoers, Brussels Cycling Classic and last WCC RR. If he can push Evenepoel to his limits there, i would be very much surprised to be honest. I'm not expecting him to, and i think nobody should. Pidcock is also going, as is Colbrelli and Lotto is bringing a rather competitive squad. And only 1/5th of the startlist is filled so far. I'm seeing improvements over last year's performance in Coppi/Bartali but not in a way i'd see him compete at BP, let alone Amstel.

EDIT: just watched the final 50k. It's certainly true Ayuso was overeager in the first 15k of the breakaway. I guess he also has a bit of that eagerness to prove himself not unlike Evenepoel in Turkey or in AIR in his first pro year, which cost him the win. Coming into the pro peloton with all eyes on you seems to have an effect.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS