• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If that's all, I'm very relieved. I know it's still tough injuries, but it sounds like something that can be recovered from. In time for the Tour? Questionable.
IIRC this is the exact same set of injuries that JVDB had in the 2011 TDF crash. Broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken scapula... He had exactly 40 days between the crash and the start of the Vuelta. He clearly wasn't at his best at the Vuelta but still managed to finish 8th in GC.

Recovering from that litany of injuries in less than 2 and a half months? I wouldn't count on it.

He shouldn't rush back. Take it slow don't return until close to 100%
Yeah I recon focus on being good for the Vuelta and then maybe Ill Lombardia or something. Although it would be tough for him to miss the tour he's not going to be in top shape so no point really.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
As always I hope he recovers his health, i.e. irrespective of sport.

I know these guys are supermen with an exceptional physical resilience, but if some normal random guy suffered a fractured shoulder blade, two fractured ribs & a collapsed lung, he wouldn't be thinking about doing high intensity sport two months later - least of all the Tour de France. I think he's given enough to the sport to have earned some downtime without the stress of needing to absolutely return as fast as possible.

On a personal note I don't enjoy seeing my Sunday afternoon heroes get smashed to pieces on tv. We all know the risk is part of the sport (in fact that risk adds a level of intensity, without doubt) but it's still sh*t when it happens.

Hope he is back and dominates next year. If there is one race I hope and think he deserves to win, it has to be LBL.

I dont know if he "deserves" that one though. He should have already won it... if he did not want to bask so much in his glory, when he had the chance.

He could have also won Ronde too already, at least he had 1/3 of a chance. Might be the best chance he will get at that race.

Lombardia he has been pretty close also to winning too. 2nd and 6th.

Next year he will be thirty and I dont know how many more chances he will have. Hopefully he comes back to racing at this best once again. He is an aggressive and entertaining rider, but also been his own worst enemy a few times.

He could look back on a great career but Im sure it is a few races he regrets some of the decisions he made, when he was on fire and in the form of his life.

I dont know if he "deserves" that one though. He should have already won it... if he did not want to bask so much in his glory, when he had the chance.

He could have also won Ronde too already, at least he had 1/3 of a chance. Might be the best chance he will get at that race.

Next year he will be thirty and I dont know how many more chances he will have. Hopefully he comes back to racing at this best once again. He is an aggressive and entertaining rider, but also been his own worst enemy a few times.

He could look back on a great career but Im sure it is a few races he regrets some of the decisions he made, when he was on fire and in the form of his life.
If it wasn't for his World titles he'd be even less clutch than Van Aert.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Yea but if he weren't so audacious (Audaces fortuna iuvat), he would not be the same entertaining rider you and I so enjoy. The flip side of this, however, is that his failures and travails are equally dramatic. You just can't have one without the other it seems.

Reactions: VeloMaster
Just read in local media that his injuries are severe and full recovery will take months. Tour is hence out of the picture. And a big question mark in regards to defending his WC title.
I have a feeling he won’t be back until 2023. Really hope he can come back to full strength. He’s in a precarious position where age combined with his riding style and now this injury could permanently put him down a couple levels. Wishing him the best.

Age? He's at peak age for a cyclist. Wouldn't think age related decline would be an issue until 33-34.

He's definitely at peak now. He should start to decline within the next year or two. Late 20's is typically peak.

He's 29 now, if he misses the rest of this season, that makes it a lost season and it will take some time to get back to his highest level, that likely will coincide with the start of a decline.

Just read in local media that his injuries are severe and full recovery will take months. Tour is hence out of the picture. And a big question mark in regards to defending his WC title.

That sounds pretty bad. If he's even able to ride by the Worlds it sound unlikely he'd be anywhere near the shape that's required to really compete for win or podium.

• Sad
Reactions: Skalman and noob

TRENDING THREADS