• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Am I the only one thinking, that there is no chance Alaphillipe will win a World Tour race this year? He had a shocker last year, with lots of crashes (which can't all be down to purely bad luck), and thusfar he hasn't impressed me at all. I fear he might be on the same trajectory as Sagan. Or am I just too pessimistic, and does his 11th place in Milan-Sanremo offer a glimmer of hope?

I think that's a bit premature. He has shown a good or decent level in some races. I think the worst was Strade, where he was nowhere although he should have been.
My biggest worry concerning him is that most of the Quickstepteam is not any better. So there seems to be something else than just crashes, injuries and blips of form. Maybe if he can get a contract at Jumbo we will see his old level again. :grimacing: Or Groupama...
For now I would wait till this year is over to say something more.

Reactions: Monte Serra
I would think that would be a weird signing for them. Doesnt make much sense.

Who knows, maybe all the funds will make them throw money at riders but so far they been doing the right things and developing their riders really good.

More likely Israel, Trek or Arkea makes an offer.
Alaphilippe either replaces Valverde 1:1 or spearheads their newly (cobbled) classics campaign. He gets leadership for the Tour de France, while Mas and maybe some new Spanish talent focuses on the Vuelta a Espana.

Movistar pays well enough and Alaphilippe reunites with Ibarguren.

I don't see anything weird about it. In fact it's a move that makes sense for all involved parties.

Alaphilippe either replaces Valverde 1:1 or spearheads their newly (cobbled) classics campaign. He gets leadership for the Tour de France, while Mas and maybe some new Spanish talent focuses on the Vuelta a Espana.

I don't see anything weird about it. In fact it's a move that makes sense for all involved parties.

He is not good enough for the cobbles. You cant replace Valverde with a like for like. It is better that they focus on what they are doing atm and go all in to sign Carlos Rodriguez instead.

I think it would be a bad move, if they go for him. Doesnt fit in with the new direction that the team has been going for since Valverde retired, and even preparing for in the last couple of years with the signings that they have made. Where some riders has just recently started to perform really well.

Lets see what the future holds.

Last edited:

Alaphilippe isn't good enough on the cobbles to head up their classics team and it appears Movistar has decided that Matteo Jorgenson is their classics leader.

Also they'd be better off trying to sign Carlos Rodriguez.

As for Alaphilippe, I do think he's already peaked and he's started down the other side. He'll still be good for a few more years, but I do think his best days are behind him.

Alaphilippe isn't good enough on the cobbles to head up their classics team and it appears Movistar has decided that Matteo Jorgenson is their classics leader.

As for Alaphilippe, I do think he's already peaked and he's started down the other side. He'll still be good for a few more years, but I do think his best days are behind him.
Frankly, I'm starting to feel the same.

Although we thought the same about Gilbert and then Boom

He just really shouldn't sign for Total or Cofidis. Then, it's career over indeed.

Reactions: Monte Serra

Agree 100% with this. Movistar are headed in the right direction doing what they're doing and it just doesn't feel like Alaphilippe fits at all.

Reactions: Koronin
He crashed and suffered as a result, so it's difficult to judge his actual level.

Yeah, he's had a horrible run of crashes/injuries. My gut feeling is that he's now paying for many years of riding way too hard when it was either fruitless or unnecessary. You can only go to the well so many times in a career. I'm not ready to write him off like Sagan, but I think he needs to change teams. Ineos? If he goes to a French team it's game over...

Is it too soon to call him washed?
He is a great racer,his form is recovering, goons at Quickstep thought that inner conflict and drama was somehow good for the team..
Look at the stacked deck at Jumbo and the team direction and the team director, superstars all living in harmony ( semi harmony) team and sponsors, race fans getting to see how it should be done.
We can all bet that it's not just good character and self control, maturity that is keeping all the egos in check. Cavendish may have not fit w Quickstep because his ego and baggage needed separate buses,hotel rooms and constant massage and reassuring that you are king,you are great, the team is working for you..
JA is a good teammate and is a contributor, he can win and as a result is a great benefit to riders like Remco.. All the talk that he is beaten down, washed up old has been, is just that, talk, His best days, whatever those are.. working for himself or others, he shows class and grace.. Obviously I am a fan boy because I enjoy his style as much as his results..

TRENDING THREADS