• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Junior racing - The stars of the future

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Niels Michotte (AG2R U19) won.

Firstcycling says Dane Henrik Pedersen was third. However, Danish TV2 just interviewed Kristian Egholm - Jakob's younger brother - about his third place.

Top-10:

They'd missed another Ag2R rider.

Just one question: Doesn't "Nations Cup" mean that they ride on national teams, yet there are three Ag2R riders in the top-10

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Just one question: Doesn't "Nations Cup" mean that they ride on national teams, yet there are three Ag2R riders in the top-10

Club teams allowed. Henrik Pedersen's name came from Directvelo live ticker but was quickly fixed to Egholm.

geZowPV.png

The Bora dev squad has really been dominant the past few years (especially in the hilly/mountainous races). Last year with Uytdebroeks, Lührs and Herzog. This year Herzog is 2nd year and stepped up his game even more, though he doesn't see himself as a 3 week GT rider (too heavy). Meanwhile they have also signed Duarte Marivoet, who is a climber/TT'er but he's a first year junior still.

Portugal has a new João Almeida happearing, is name is MORGADO, António! He is from the same location has João, and kind of similar characteristics.

1st yr Junior he was 6th in MJ World Road Race while not being at his best (had a cold)

(Use of google translator needed, as it is in Portuguese)

Very strange isn't it? Couldn't find it listed it either. Only became aware of it because I follow Zoe Backstedt on twitter.

The plot thickens!

Anyway, Romet Pajur won the men's race.

Meanwhile, the two half-stages of Trophée Centre Morbihan were won by Joshua Tarling and Ronan Augé respectively. Jens Verbrugghe, the son of Rik, won the GC.

Over in the Netherlands, Henrik Pedersen won both the final stage, and the GC of SPIE...

BTW, does anyone know if Romet Pajur is the younger brother of Arkea's Markus Pajur, or if Pajur is basically the Estonian version of Pedersen?

Last edited:
A secret race? Doesn't even show up in the long list of non-UCI races that's available on the mobile version of FirstCycling.
Looking at the results page of Cycling Vlaanderen it was 1.16 Meisjes IND/Jun +U17. To put that simply, it was a national level competition for combined Junior and U17 women. The men's was a 1.14 Interclub event, so again a top level national event. A couple of years ago there used to be a UCI level junior mens Tour of Flanders doing a couple of loops that included the Kapelmuur, Paddestraat. Haaghoek, etc. Last weekend's race was a circuit around Oudenaarde that featured things like the Berg Ten Stene, Jagerij, Wolvenberg.

RVV Juniors was an UCI race at least 15 years in row, not sure why they changed that for this year. Probably because it was colliding with two other junior races (Axel&Morbihan), but a strange decision nevertheless.

BTW, does anyone know if Romet Pajur is the younger brother of Arkea's Markus Pajur, or if Pajur is basically the Estonian version of Pedersen?
Nope they're not related.

It's amazing to see young riders grow. And today was a great day.

18 year-old Lenny Martinez raced with GFC/FDJ at the Mercantour Classic and finished in 8th place. He's the son of the 2000 World and Olympic MTB champion Miguel Martinez and the grandson of Mariano Martinez, twice TdF stage winner in '78 and '80, as well as polka-dot winner in'78. Best GC: 6th at the '72 TdF. And there's Yannick and Martin too. Cycling is in their blood.

The family castle is in good hands.

After his GC 14th place in Trentino, Lenny confirms that he belongs to the pro peloton. Today he set the pace to reduce the front group in the second-to-last climb, he did a lot of work until Pinot took over, following shady team tactics that leave me scratching my head. Bravo Birdsong nonetheless. Nice win.

Behind the winner, if Froome's performance creates optimism in the news and forums, then it says a lot about what Lenny Martinez accomplished, finishing three spots and 65 seconds ahead of the resurrecting Dawg.

Amazing ride today! Congrats Lenny! Allez Lenny!

18 year-old Lenny Martinez raced with GFC/FDJ at the Mercantour Classic and finished in 8th place. He's the son of the 2000 World and Olympic MTB champion Miguel Martinez and the grandson of Mariano Martinez, twice TdF stage winner in '78 and '80, as well as polka-dot winner in'78. Best GC: 6th at the '72 TdF. And there's Yannick and Martin too. Cycling is in their blood.

I know he definitely looks the part, but I think being on a conti team means Lenny is a bit too old to be a junior.

Besides, Formolo still pretty much looks the part... he's definitely too old.

There's a young American I have my eye on:

It's amazing to see young riders grow. And today was a great day.

The family castle is in good hands.

After his GC 14th place in Trentino, Lenny confirms that he belongs to the pro peloton. Today he set the pace to reduce the front group in the second-to-last climb, he did a lot of work until Pinot took over, following shady team tactics that leave me scratching my head. Bravo Birdsong nonetheless. Nice win.

Behind the winner, if Froome's performance creates optimism in the news and forums, then it says a lot about what Lenny Martinez accomplished, finishing three spots and 65 seconds ahead of the resurrecting Dawg.

Amazing ride today! Congrats Lenny! Allez Lenny!
Like RHD hinted, he is no longer a junior, but a firstyear U23. I assume he will do Avenir and face off with Uijtdebroeks... and perhaps some 22 year old Norwegian or Dane that pops up out of nowhere. I assume Rodriguez and Ayuso won't be riding anymore, but i could be mistaking.

There's a young American I have my eye on:
Firstcycling is a better website for junior/u23 ranks.

Last edited:
Time to give this beloved topic a kick. Slowly but surely teams are announcing their line-ups for Wollongong. Belgium was the first to do so, and would you guess, they're stacked to the brim: Vlad Van Mechelen, Jens Verbrugghe*, Maxence Place and two of my personal favorites Duarte Marivoet and Sente Sentjens. They tick all the boxes and should be able to play in every imaginable way. Fast men, classic riders and climbers. More so, many countries would kill to have Steffen De Schuyteneer, Jardo Widar, Aaron Dockx or Robbe Dhondt amongst their riders, but here they are essentially told better luck next year mate.

That being said, I also think this Belgian team is flawed. In one on one situations, I don't think any of them can hang with the big boys such as Christen, Morgado, Herzog, Nordhagen, Kockelmann or Huising & Van der Meulen. They will have to use their strength in numbers and play every card perfectly. I put an asterisk behind Verbrugghe's name because **** knows what he'll be able to do. His limits are unknown to everyone. Despite being the son of Rik, he has only been in the cycling game for a little more than a year. I'm looking at him for a medal in the time trial, but just like everyone else, I don't think he'll come close to beating Josh Tarling.

Last edited:
Time to give this beloved topic a kick. Slowly but surely teams are announcing their line-ups for Wollongong. Belgium was the first to do so, and would you guess, they're stacked to the brim: Vlad Van Mechelen, Jens Verbrugghe*, Maxence Place and two of my personal favorites Duarte Marivoet and Sente Sentjens. They tick all the boxes and should be able to play in every imaginable way. Fast men, classic riders and climbers. More so, many countries would kill to have Steffen De Schuyteneer, Jardo Widar, Aaron Dockx or Robbe Dhondt amongst their riders, but here they are essentially told better luck next year mate.

That being said, I also think this Belgian team is flawed. In one on one situations, I don't think any of them can hang with the big boys such as Christen, Morgado, Herzog, Nordhagen, Kockelmann or Huising & Van der Meulen. They will have to use their strength in numbers and play every card perfectly. I put an asterisk behind Verbrugghe's name because **** knows what he'll be able to do. His limits are unknown to everyone. Despite being the son of Rik, he has only been in the cycling game for a little more than a year. I'm looking at him for a medal in the time trial, but just like everyone else, I don't think he'll come close to beating Josh Tarling.
Is this course suited for Marivoet though?

Is this course suited for Marivoet though?
Not specifically, he could have used a harder circuit. However, the same applies to several top notch favorites. Therefore, I am looking at someone like Morgado to throw hands very far out like he always does. Tactically, I would use Marivoet to shadow any early moves by the big boys and have him sit on the wheels. I think Belgium should avoid catching wind in all circumstances, it's not up to them to carry the race.

Meanwhile, Emil Herzog has won stage 1 at Rüebliland.
Nordhagen and Storm though. The two of them will win a lot of races next year. Real shame that Denmark won't send a team to Wollongong, just as Storm was coming into his own and started to confirm the unbeatable status he had with the cadets. He was 2nd last week in Tel Aviv, losing by only a few millimeters to reigning world champion Carson Mattern in the individual pursuit. Nordhagen otoh has scary potential, knowing he's into skiing first.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS