• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 209 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Tired of hearing the accusations of cycling being backward when it comes to science of sport.

How long is the Mapei centre of sporting excellence in Italy being going? Long before Sky came along!

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Tired of hearing the accusations of cycling being backward when it comes to science of sport.

How long is the Mapei centre of sporting excellence in Italy being going? Long before Sky came along!
*pseesh* we all know those southerners only excel in dope, no marginal gains down there buddy :rolleyes:

spetsa said:
Who really thinks he was clean at Saecco, Prime Alliance or especially HealthNet? Half the US domestic scene was a mess in the early to mid 2000's and he seemed to tear legs quite a bit back in the day.

His results over that time weren't exactly spectacular.

While there were plenty of dirty riders in the US at that time, it's not like everybody was doped, the fields were half amateurs. Totally reasonable for a clean rider to top-10 regularly, maybe even win once in awhile.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Frankly, after his "there's no evidence against LA" and JV having to shut him up, I've been getting the wrong vibes from Talansky. Will-do-anything-to-get-to-the-top vibes.

Gee, was it the defense of Armstrong that got you -- or the "I'm friends with him" defense of Froome? Or the "friends with domestic doper Leipheimer" line?

If I didn't know his contract status, I'd say he's fishing for a better *cough*Sky*cough* deal elsewhere.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
filipo said:
Gee, was it the defense of Armstrong that got you -- or the "I'm friends with him" defense of Froome? Or the "friends with domestic doper Leipheimer" line?

If I didn't know his contract status, I'd say he's fishing for a better *cough*Sky*cough* deal elsewhere.

Which shows what an idiot Talansky is if he thinks speaking in the media gets you a contract.

Talanksy is not for Sky, to loose a cannon for them.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
yes, vaughters has addressed this in detail.
that's why i don't understand benson's surprise in the interview. benson should do his homework.

anyway, vaughters' having talked about it doesn't make it less questionable.
in 2009 every fool knew that whatever contador was doing, he wasn't doing it on paniagua.

sniper said:
yes, vaughters has addressed this in detail.
that's why i don't understand benson's surprise in the interview. benson should do his homework.

anyway, vaughters' having talked about it doesn't make it less questionable.
in 2009 every fool knew that whatever contador was doing, he wasn't doing it on paniagua.
JV has strongly implied he knew AC wasn't clean but would have been willing to sign him anyway because he thought he had the natural talent to ride clean successfully. Whether he'd also have been willing is hard to say - according to JV, things never got far enough to constitute serious talks.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
JV has strongly implied he knew AC wasn't clean but would have been willing to sign him anyway because he thought he had the natural talent to ride clean successfully. Whether he'd also have been willing is hard to say - according to JV, things never got far enough to constitute serious talks.

I know and you're right. Garmin talking with Contador wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
I guess I'm just asking JV to stop saying he's dedicated his life to anti-doping.
JV is human, and he shouldn't pretend otherwise.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
JV wanted to see his biopassport and blood numbers, and see if they could be managed to look clean and still win the Tour. bit like Wiggins.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
JV wanted to see his biopassport and blood numbers, and see if they could be managed to look clean and still win the Tour. bit like Wiggins.

JV asked Griper how Contador's values were and she gave him the all clear.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Wait, what? I would have thought that Gripper giving privileged access to rider's info/data would be a big ethics problem. Or am I reading it wrong? Can anyone ask for this type of information? Is it released publicly somewhere?

John Swanson

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ScienceIsCool said:
Wait, what? I would have thought that Gripper giving privileged access to rider's info/data would be a big ethics problem. Or am I reading it wrong? Can anyone ask for this type of information? Is it released publicly somewhere?

John Swanson

IIRC I saw it in Velonews at the time, this is not a new story. It is common for a riders to allow the UCI to release their blood profile to prospective teams. Pretty much a mandatory part of any negotiation these days

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
I thought JV said that they never got to the point where he saw his passport. :confused:
well, strictly speaking, they are not one and the same thing. But IT COULD be interpreted by us folk on the Clinic that Grippers word is equivalent to the biopassport numbers

blackcat said:
well, strictly speaking, they are not one and the same thing. But IT COULD be interpreted by us folk on the Clinic that Grippers word is equivalent to the biopassport numbers

Hang on.

Is it being suggested that JV has access to confidential information at the UCI?

Griper is releasing confidential information without the knowledge of the rider?

How would she know the code names in the profile database?

Only the rider can release their own information to a new team.

I hope there's nothing untoward going on. Or maybe Race Radio is just talking it up again.

I'd prefer to hear it from JVs mouth.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Gripper also claimed Armstrong was clean in 2009.
Her statements in this interviewsuffice to reduce her credibility to the absolute minimum.

Armstrong claimed he raced clean in 2009 when he made a comeback, after promising his former wife Kristin that he would never "cross the line". Gripper, who managed the UCI's Biological Passport programme until 2010, insisted there was nothing unusual with his blood profile at the time. She believes the Biological Passport has greatly cleaned up cycling.

"The big one was always Lance - I always knew the sport could never, never really move forward until the festering bubble that was 'did he or didn't he?' ... had been fully exposed,'' she said.

"The 2011 Tour de France was a bit of a landmark ... the fact that Cadel (Evans) won, that was the cherry on top of the cake,'' she said. "But there were all sorts of other things that happened in that Tour ... to indicate a much more level playing field.''

TRENDING THREADS