• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 304 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
IzzyStradlin said:
But plenty of prominent riders live elsewhere. And always have.

Not at Garmin they don't.

Which was to my point about football compared to cycling per doping. Its the transportation of drugs which catches them out not the using thereof.

Sky have much the same model with Tiede and soon to be base in Nice.

thehog said:
Not at Garmin they don't.

Which was to my point about football compared to cycling per doping. Its the transportation of drugs which catches them out not the using thereof.

Sky have much the same model with Tiede and soon to be base in Nice.

So are you saying riders that live isolated from teammates are cleaner?

Or what is your point exactly?

Ironically Trent Lowe lived in Valencia with Chris Sutton and that is where Matt White was based as well. If they had not been living in Valencia, Lowe would not have been sent to Del Moral for his check-up by White.

So let's see, most of the non Euro riders live in Girona for some reason but very few of the Euros live there. Wonder why that is?

Quite a few Greenedge riders live there as well.

pmcg76 said:
So let's see, most of the non Euro riders live in Girona for some reason but very few of the Euros live there. Wonder why that is?

Quite a few Greenedge riders live there as well.

Maybe younger guys, who don't make a whole ton of $$, and maybe not speak the language very well, prefer to live near guys that are comfortable in this new country, might have a spare bedroom, speak a common language, and regularly fly the thousands of miles back to their shared homeland?

Maybe that just makes things easier?

You see OCCAM'S RAZOR(!!!) thrown around so much in this forum, but then invent these complicated scenarios when there is just nothing that points directly to doping.

Digger said:
hey hog - if we are carrying some belly fat does that mean we might be part inuit? it's me protecting myself against the wind!

The previous point on how a person could be "20%" of one nationailty and of that 20% would be centered to the adominal region is bloomin' ridiculous! Just utter absurdity.

sniper said:
I'm on the brink of asking if you've been following the thread at all?

You know I have, but I understand where you are coming from.

Yes, there are many things that are minimally confusing, and the Wiggins thing is way up there.

And, yes, you often make some very good points and produce some very interesting material to think about.

blackcat said:
thats cos it is fiction, a fantasy.

JV could never get a team up, if they sucked @rse like Vacansoleil or whatever they were called.

He needs to give his riders, a wide enough berth, to get results. Like the Don Catlin quote about allowing athletes some distance when the are looking to peak for World Champs and Olympics.

doublespeak gets a little funny at times, but if it was possible to have a team race on equal terms, i would extend credit that JV would attempt this.

Cheers.

And, whether he realized it explicitly or not, by taking up the anti-doping cause JV has irrefutably begged to be questioned.

Benotti69 said:

Have you considered that JV might be part of the cancer, another tumour, who happens to be really good at avoiding detection. So he actually has no problem being in the sport...

Yes, and I really hope that isn't the case.

Dave.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
And, whether he realized it explicitly or not, by taking up the anti-doping cause JV has irrefutably begged to be questioned.

I think JV did not realise the extent to which social media would give a voice to fans so i think if he could go back in time he would be less vociferous about being so 'dedicated' :rolleyes: to anti doping!

D-Queued said:
Yes, and I really hope that isn't the case.

Dave.

I think his actions tell us it is the case.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I mean it isn't so crazy that a track rider wins a GT.... :rolleyes:

or a guy one year is hanging onto a motorbike up climbs in the giro the next he is dropping everyone on Spanish MTFs.....:rolleyes:

or a guy took EPO and claims it made him worse then expects to believed that he won a GT in 2012 clean.........:rolleyes:

Benotti69 said:
or a guy one year is hanging onto a motorbike up climbs in the giro the next he is dropping everyone on Spanish MTFs.....:rolleyes:

or a guy took EPO and claims it made him worse then expects to believed that he won a GT in 2012 clean.........:rolleyes:

Not crazy in the slightest. Or that a guy who's beer belly is part Eskimo. Most normal. Or a Russian rider found to have doped only in races where he finished 53rd or lower, very normal way to deal with doping sanctions ;)

thehog said:
Not crazy in the slightest. Or that a guy who's beer belly is part Eskimo. Most normal. Or a Russian rider found to have doped only in races where he finished 53rd or lower, very normal way to deal with doping sanctions ;)

so how is any of this related to where Garmin riders live and how this facilitates their doping?

IzzyStradlin said:
so how is any of this related to where Garmin riders live and how this facilitates their doping?

Historically, Girona was renowned for doping access.

The location became particularly popular once actual laws against doping were put in place in France. Thus, a certain well-known American moved from a really nice place in Nice to Girona.

The popularity of Girona was underscored and marketed with euphemistic descriptions such as 'close to training sites'. Such proximal training sites including the co-option of the national health facilities for blood storage by Fuentes in Operacion Puerto. Girona is also a long bike ride or car day trip to other countries known to provide helpful rest spots for cyclists.

Given that Fuentes was 'healing' most of the peloton, it might have been helpful to be nearby to facilitate your extractions and re-transfusions. Or, in someone like Basso's case, just to be close to all that blood you stored up 'just in case'.

The continued popularity of Girona is intriguing.

It is a nice place, and does have the #1 restaurant in the world. But, most pro cyclists probably don't eat there every day. And the rich ones, like Lance, can always fly in for dinner. For the religious cyclist, the black virgin is nearby and could possibly endow a faithful rider with some sort of heavenly gift.

Then again, maybe the initial attraction has ultimately created some sort of critical mass and familiarity. So, once the non-Euros had found a home perhaps they continue to use it even if it doesn't offer all the same benefits that it used to.

Dave.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
It is a nice place, and does have the #1 restaurant in the world. But, most pro cyclists probably don't eat there every day. And the rich ones, like Lance, can always fly in for dinner. For the religious cyclist, the black virgin is nearby and could possibly endow a faithful rider with some sort of heavenly gift.
i thought il bulli closed? or we talking something else, i thought they were in copenhagen now

pugdog, did you not run into Anna Hansen and Lance at Chez Maison in Nice? Lance's favourite restaurant there, or was it Betsy's risotto?
D-Queued said:
Then again, maybe the initial attraction has ultimately created some sort of critical mass and familiarity. So, once the non-Euros had found a home perhaps they continue to use it even if it doesn't offer all the same benefits that it used to.

Dave.

yep, Porter spoke about the doping cluster in Girona. JV, you will be reading him wont you? He was a pretty good golfer supposedly

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
in isolation Girona probably means zilk, but it adds to a series of ways in which there is continuity between usps and garmin, a recent addition being the involvement of catlin.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
i thought il bulli closed? or we talking something else, i thought they were in copenhagen now

pugdog, did you not run into Anna Hansen and Lance at Chez Maison in Nice? Lance's favourite restaurant there, or was it Betsy's risotto?

yep, Porter spoke about the doping cluster in Girona. JV, you will be reading him wont you? He was a pretty good golfer supposedly
could you expand? Who's Porter? (it's still early here)

sniper said:
in isolation Girona probably means zilk, but it adds to a series of ways in which there is continuity between usps and garmin, a recent addition being the involvement of catlin.

Maybe, but there are plenty of practical reasons to be in Girona. Great riding, hour from Barca, 20 min from the beach, short travel times to many races.

If a coworker offers a room to rent in Girona....take it.

Girona, Monaco, Freiburg, Madrid, Ferrara, Boulder. You can run a doping program anywhere.

TRENDING THREADS