• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yet another former teammate at USPS with no credibility, an axe to grind, a book to sell, blah, blah, blah.

No, actually just a compelling look at one athlete's choice without names being named. (not really necessary at this point)

Mr. Vaughters, you may get grief for the article, but thank you for your honesty.

Last couple of pages have been a pleasure to read. To actually see a senior figure respond to sensible and well thoughtful questions. Great article too. Thank you JV. we're all aware of the rock and a hard place you're stuck in. You're at least engaging and not insulting us like a recently publicized rider.

....and not one mention of Lance.

The final paragraph is quite good.

We put so much emotion into marketing and idolizing athletes, let’s put that same zeal into giving them what they really want: the ability to live their dreams without compromising their morals.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
gerundium said:
just wanted to pop in here and say it takes balls for a person in the spotlight like JV to come here and jump in amongst the sharks to be judged by them and engage in the debate.

That shows a lot of character and commitment and i applaud him for it.

Well said that man. My thoughts exactly.

Thanks to all for an interesting read in the last few pages, and kudos to JV for calmly answering a number of posts before delivering the real reason for his visit; nicely played, Jonathan.

Tyler'sTwin said:
He didn't say 2% in FTP, did he?

~2% in 100 m time is actually what BALCO's Victor Conte estimated for a male world class sprinter.
Yeah, I thought the article made it clear that 2% (which I don't think was meant to be an exact figure anyway) made a huge difference. I just thought it was interesting that Danny Pate, who once pretty much embodied what Slipstream was about, would tweet that. Obviously he didn't leave Garmin in good terms.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
JV1973 said:
You guys should go read the NY Times Op-Ed section. Should be an endless well for giving me ****.

Very well written...I was hoping for a snide remark directly at McQuaid, but then again, I always want that extra 2% :) Plus, you mentioned martyrdom in your tweet and somewhere I was hoping for some double barrel shot at the UCI. What you wrote was much better IMO.

I also understand that what you said will open you to scrutiny by people from both sides of the debate about doping and the extent to which it did and does exist. But you came clean about your past, and in reality, as much as maybe even I would like dirty names and dirty details, you don't owe anyone even the public pronouncement you wrote there. Sure I have a salacious desire to know the underbelly of everything, but that is noting but a personal failure on my part.

Good luck with your team. I hope big money sponsors read that and realize that there is benefit to marketing to fans who want to see good, honest sport.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
JV - thank you for that article, and for your contribution.

Whatever the repercussions - you have done a great thing, and I applaud you. I hope you can contibue to fight the fight.

Junior, I mean JV, thank you for your courage and honesty to continue to work towards a better future. You have clearly changed and are affecting a subgroup of new riders that will hopefully spawn more and more pure results/efforts.

I give you full marks for not only coming in here and engaging posters but giving us your poignant version of WTF has and is happening in cycling's 'circle of trust'. Where are all the other Pro cycling managers anyway? Why are they letting you do all the heavy lifting in here?

Thank you, good luck and keep it up.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Wow.
I go out for a beer with the girls and look what happens!

thank you JV!

Some didn't believe you would do it....a little patience is sometimes greatly rewarded.
:)

btw it looks as if you have gotten more than 12 thankyous.:p

BTW, which poster said that "if JV admits I'll change my avatar for a month?"

Fess up now.

TRENDING THREADS