• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 220 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
I'll admit I'm lost on what this has to do with JV. Seems like a smear, doesn't help anything IMO.

"I've dedicated my life to professional cycling, anti-doping...yadayadad"

Where's the smear? These 2 riders, a retired doper and a current rider, ex team mate and current team rider of JV are raking it in.

That tends to stick in one's craw when i think about those who spoke out about doping while these guys didn't and only when faced with the strong arm of the Feds did they get down on their knees and told half what they knew!

6 months for VdV and he is back in the peleton and now flogging bikes rides for $$$$s.

Maybe JV would care to comment? MAybe JV can enlighten us and tell us that $$$s are been given to change cycling now or another worthy cause that fights cheating, but i doubt it.

VdV and Hincapie made fortunes from doping. Not paid a penny that they cheated out of the sport.

JV is close to VdV who rides for Garmin.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
quite simple,
these are two guys who've doped their way to fame, have made and continue to make a lot of money because of it, and haven't payed any sort of price for it.
like jv, basically.

but it's also more generally about the argument thrown around by JV that there would have taken place some mentality change within the peloton at a certain point.
'doping's not what the cool kids do anymore', along those lines.

well, tell you what: making and spending a lot of money is still what all the cool kids dream of doing.
if doping gets you there, we know from studies and from the history of sports that athletes will risk it.
so to claim some sort of mentality change in a sport where the revenues have only gone up, that's beyond me.

if you don't see/feel the hypocricy here...

Benotti69 said:
"I've dedicated my life to professional cycling, anti-doping...yadayadad"

Where's the smear? These 2 riders, a retired doper and a current rider, ex team mate and current team rider of JV are raking it in.

The smear is that you're posting about this on the JV thread and this has literally nothing to do with him.

Not sure how you don't see that.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
The smear is that you're posting about this on the JV thread and this has literally nothing to do with him.

This is the JV talks thread? Merely asking him to talk about it, he is closely related to it as it is one of his riders.

I would have thought that these so called 'ex doping' Garmin riders, on an alleged 'anti doping' team would have made a 'grand' gesture for their cheating and doping.

If you want to start a new thread about this, no problem.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:

:confused:
the sky thread is full of things only indirectly related to sky.
this is in fact quite directly related to jv (vdv, ex garmin)
what gives jv such a privileged position in your book?

pmcg76 said:
And you wonder why people are criticising the mods here:rolleyes:

Maybe you can explain, and feel free to PM so as not to hijack the thread.

sniper said:
the sky thread is full of things only indirectly related to sky.
this is in fact quite directly related to jv (vdv, ex garmin)
what gives jv such a privileged position in your book?

I guess obviously my question had nothing to do with abstract complaints about the Sky thread. Really no need to go there regarding JV and privilege, I simply asked what any of this had to do with JV. Asked and answered, and we don't agree. I'm happy to move on. You?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Maybe you can explain, and feel free to PM so as not to hijack the thread.

I guess obviously my question had nothing to do with abstract complaints about the Sky thread. Really no need to go there regarding JV and privilege, I simply asked what any of this had to do with JV. Asked and answered, and we don't agree. I'm happy to move on. You?

"smearing". still a bit surprised by that choice of words.
but yeah, let's move on.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Try CCES.

In any case, how is JV supposed to know, he was convinced Hesjedal won the Giro clean.

Hesjedal rode for USpostal, Phonak and RaboGS3. Did Hesjedal tell the relevant ADAs about his time in these teams? I doubt it. Otherwise he would've had a 6 month winter break too.

Benotti69 said:
Hesjedal rode for USpostal, Phonak and RaboGS3. Did Hesjedal tell the relevant ADAs about his time in these teams? I doubt it. Otherwise he would've had a 6 month winter break too.
Apparently that requirement only applied if you had already been caught, which sort of undermines the whole thing, I'd say.

Granted, there would be little incentive to sign for Garmin otherwise, but the problem is at one poiint JV did lead readers to assume that it was team policy.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Wonder how JV will spin this.

Are we really supposed to believe that Hesjedal stopped doping in 200x and then he learned how to win clean at garmin at the tender age of 31? riiiight.

the sceptic said:

Are we really supposed to believe that Hesjedal stopped doping in 200x and then he learned how to win clean at garmin at the tender age of 31? riiiight.

Well there was that rumor and I repeat rumor that Hesjedal received a bio letter.

The secret Pro hinted at it.

But there really hasn't been much else on that subject.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:

i dont think jv is gonna invest much in converting the clinic anymore.
I suppose he will be happy enough if the mainstream media take it easy on him and garmin.

bruyneel will indeed be portrayed as bitter.
and yes, were probably gonna be told again that the BP and some culture change allowed hesjedal to win clean

webvan said:
What happened? Need to check the front page...

The secret pro mentioned a former GT (Giro?) winner, Di Lucca and Menchov looked more suspicious than RH.

Who knows. We will never know. Maybe.

Will Ryder hand back his silver medal? :rolleyes:

“Chris Sheppard was sixteenth at the World Championships, Seamus McGrath was sixth or eight, before he went out, and Ryder Hesjedal finished second. Hesjedal would have won Olympic gold if he hadn’t punctured just before the finish. In 2012, after a number of good years on the road, he won the Giro d'Italia.”

Rasmussen claims they celebrated the season and paid back Rasmussen for his help by taking him out for dinner in Italy, with Sheppard picking up the bill.

Klaus Wivel, the co-author of Rasmussen’s book, told Politiken that he contacted the three Canadians. He said that neither Chris Sheppard nor Seamus McGrath wanted to make a comment about Rasmussen’s claims, while Ryder Hesjedal did not respond.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-rasmussen-claims-he-taught-hesjedal-how-to-take-epo

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Yes but those guys blamed nasty Lance and Hog for forcing them to dope.

Ryder hung out with the Chicken leant the black arts and bought him dinner to thank him.

Maybe Rasmussen is evil too. I hope he doesnt get sued.

I guess we have to wait and see.

TRENDING THREADS