• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kloden, really?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Nice softball seminar.

Nothing about those little night time jaunts to have his blood moved around. Just a bunch of patty cake and nary a mention of Vienna.

And...

"sometimes it's better that you're quiet and shut up" in speaking of HMH, who has of course thrown current teammate Bottle,...er,...Levi under the bus.

and....putting the blinders on to the rest of this steaming pile of interview dung, isn't Horner a legit guy for GC now?

Frosty said:
Thoughts on Ullrich are interesting. The press build someone up and then knock him down. Think i can assure him that is not a purely German trait.

Pedaling Squares put it well in the following thread
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=11404
which talked about excessive talk, for lack of a better word.
How many of them ever shut up and go away? The more I follow cycling, the more I like Jan Ullrich.

Well, Kloden's thoughts are not just interesting, they are revealing about what Jan has been through. Out of compassion, that makes me like him all that much more.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Thoughts on Ullrich are interesting. The press build someone up and then knock him down. Think i can assure him that is not a purely German trait.

Yep - if he was Australian he would be linked to every possible scandal going.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP - a very soft interview. C'mon, Klodie is as dirty as a ditch digger's dirtbox. He knows it, we all know it. You don't come from nowhere to win Paris Nice, and as for that famous Telekom 1-2-3 at the Olympics with Ullrich and Vino...well, we can safely dismiss that one, can't we?

Riders like Kloden are part of the problem, not the solution, despite his attempts to blame the media (!!) for the problems in cycling. Cause and effect - without the cheats, the media wouldn't have to write about doping, would they? Klodie is an old school cheat and I hope his type and his era is on its way out.

Well Ullrich did say, it appears, "those who still don't understand what happened in cycling are beyond my help"...I'm guessing he refers to Pevenage and him trying to figure out how the talentless uniballer was robbing them of all these TDF victories...and they got caught in the process, but they may have the last laugh thanks to Novitsky.

Anyway, yes Kloden is a bit of a mystery, hard to believe he's squeeky clean when his friend/former mentor wasn't...and that other one either, Kessler. Talking of which, Ullrich apparently told Pevenage in 2007 after he spent some time training with Kessler and Kloden that they were still doing the same thing.

webvan said:
Well Ullrich did say, it appears, "those who still don't understand what happened in cycling are beyond my help"...I'm guessing he refers to Pevenage and him trying to figure out how the talentless uniballer was robbing them of all these TDF victories...and they got caught in the process, but they may have the last laugh thanks to Novitsky.

Anyway, yes Kloden is a bit of a mystery, hard to believe he's squeeky clean when his friend/former mentor wasn't...and that other one either, Kessler. Talking of which, Ullrich apparently told Pevenage in 2007 after he spent some time training with Kessler and Kloden that they were still doing the same thing.

Jesus mate have you been living under a rock?

Kloden was a student at Freiburg university. Kloden is a realist. That's all. What he's trying to say is don't single out riders. We were all at because we had to. Don't take down Ullrich because his own the god darn government taught the guy to dope. Then don't beat him up when he's getting beat by sh1tless hack American riders who have full protection from the UCI.

Kloden is still doping but that the way he is. It's just what you do. Just stop asking me about it.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I feel sorry for human beings like Kloden, he defends his corrupted soul instead of cleaning the deck. Is this the mentality he teaches his kids?Just steal, other people are stealing too!And if you get caught, blame the police and the press if its reported!
Ullrich chose millions of Euros and fame over his conscious, now we should applaud him?It was his decision to risk getting shot down from the sky rather than being a clean 2nd tier rider, now he has to live with results of that decision.Guys like Kloden are the ones who have been destroying the sport...

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Kloden also forgets to mention that he wouldn't be making a tenth of the money he's making without the (German) press.

And yet it's thanks to idiots like him that the newer generation of German riders are struggling to find a team, struggling to find home races to compete in because they've been cancelled due to the doping scandals and lack of sponsors, and finding it hard to earn a decent living due.

icebreaker said:
You read that, you'd almost like the guy.

Almost.

Point being he's all talent. He's frustration is he could smash most cyclists with one leg tied behind his back.

He used to hate Armstrong. He was the only one in the 2000's calling him out on the "no trains as hard as me". Kloden knows what it was. The only thing that made an ugly rider like Armstrong better than Kloden was dope. Period.

D-Queued said:
He has really worked on that pedalling efficiency. Cadence too.

The hills around Freiburg are perfect for these workouts. He is lucky to have such an advantage in his backyard.

Dave.

You may jest but watch the guy on a bike. Bloody beautiful to watch. Sure he tranfused and loved to gel his testies at night but my god he looks good riding.

Klöden has always been tightlipped. He never bragged, never accused anyone, never talked to the press when he could avoid it.

What would you say, standing at the start line and some ****ing journalist who has never attended a bicycle race, asks you any every German rider he come across "Entschuldigung, haben Sie heute schon gedopt?" (Excuse me, have you doped today?"). This is what happend over here.

You know where Klödi learned all about cycling and you know what was going on during the Telekom era. We all know. Does this make Andi a bad character in this horror movie?

Race Radio said:
Kloden.....yup. It is all the media's fault. Did the Media drive you to Freiburg Klodi?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,621414-2,00.html

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mr.38&#37 said:
Klöden has always been tightlipped. He never bragged, never accused anyone, never talked to the press when he could avoid it.

What would you say, standing at the start line and some ****ing journalist who has never attended a bicycle race, asks you any every German rider he come across "Entschuldigung, haben Sie heute schon gedopt?" (Excuse me, have you doped today?"). This is what happend over here.

You know where Klödi learned all about cycling and you know what was going on during the Telekom era. We all know. Does this make Andi a bad character in this horror movie?

So what. He's whining when he blames the media. The media pay his frikkin bills.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Mr.38% said:

How is asking that question wrong?

It is common for the press to ask people who have broken the rules if they did what they were accused of. The evidence that Kloden doped is overwhelming. That he pretends that is is no big deal, that people should ignore it, and not ask the obvious quesiton is absurd.

That incident happened way before there was any evidence that Klöden was involved in anything. The "journalist" walked up to any german rider and Armstrong. Voigte replied if the guy did his expense accounts or return of tax correctly.

He knew nothing about the sport and who did what, he wasn't even interested. The German press acts like a prosecutor, a prosecutor who is only interested in cyclists. Doping in other sports does not change a thing for cycling - fact. Still if you ask someone for fairness you are obliged to play fair as well otherwise you are not the least bit better than the one you are after.

The press is not entiteled to play the procecutor. We have our legal system to hunt down cheats.

And if you ask me if it's always the rider's fault, I say: no. However if the Uniballer taunts over every other rider how weak he was compared to his greatness, that's a different cup of tea. That's just my opinion, which is as good as yours or any others.

Klöden will maybe learn when his neat team finally shuts down for good.

TRENDING THREADS