• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kolobnev positive

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Wow! What a difference between how Contador was treated (given 3 months to come up with an "explanation" - and would have been longer/forever if not for a German journalist), and this case.

ElChingon said:
The sacrifice must of been to get the team in the headlines as they hadn't done anything race-wise.

Then again, what were we expecting from the all Russian configuration for le Tour? Katusha could merge with Astana and they'd still be a few riders short.

The main problem is that the only Russian capable of really showing something at the race isn't on their team.

If they had Menchov ably supported by the likes of Karpets it could work, but boy would that throw the suspicionometer off the charts.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
According to the CN article L'Equipe reported the news before the rider was even informed. Typical BS from AFLD, that lab is a disgrace.

Sure, the lab should promise to wait until UCI reports it to the media. I know you don't mind waiting until December/never, but I do.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Hydrochlorothiazide, abbreviated HCTZ, HCT, or HZT, is a first-line diuretic drug of the thiazide class that acts by inhibiting the kidneys' ability to retain water. This reduces the volume of the blood, decreasing blood return to the heart and thus cardiac output and, by other mechanisms, is believed to lower peripheral vascular resistance. Hydrochlorothiazide is a calcium-sparing diuretic, meaning it can help the body get rid of excess water while still keeping calcium.

so how does it help the doper?
HTCZ is used to strip out salts ect and returne water back into the blood used by Doctors for blood presure in elderly.
Its banned because it also retains synthetic testosterone back into blood so it cant be tested in urine.
It is a masking agent.

Or so they think they have other tests now but Hydrochlorothiazide will not help performance in any other way

brianf7 said:
HTCZ is used to strip out salts ect and returne water back into the blood used by Doctors for blood presure in elderly.
Its banned because it also retains synthetic testosterone back into blood so it cant be tested in urine.
It is a masking agent.

Or so they think they have other tests now but Hydrochlorothiazide will not help performance in any other way

This is not quite correct. When blood initially enters the kidneys, it’s filtered so that everything except proteins, cells, and other relatively large solutes or material pass into the filtrate, or urine. Thus, ions such as salts pass out of the blood at this time, as do small molecules such as steroids. However, later in the process, salts are reabsorbed back into the blood, as well as some of the water. The net result is that toxins and other exogenous substances are removed from the blood, while salts and other endogenous substances for the most part are reabsorbed.

Thiazides and other diuretics block this reabsorption of salts. As a result, a higher concentration of sodium is present in the urine. This results in more excretion of water, by simple osmosis. Hence the overall effect of diuretics is to increase urine output. This dilutes the concentration of drugs such as steroids that were initially removed from the blood, improving the chances of testing negative for them. AFAIK, there is no return to or retention of steroids in the blood. In fact, there is no retention of anything following thiazide use except calcium (a unique feature of these drugs; other diuretics do result in loss of calcium as well as other salts).

While the removal of water from the blood results in lower blood volume, it is thought that the reduction of blood pressure results from another mechanism by this class of drugs. They are popular with body builders, not as masking agents, but to remove the build up of water in the tissue, thus promoting a firmer-looking body.

ChrisE said:
I don't know why these guys keep insisting on using something like steroids that are not effective. Then take a double chance on getting popped with a masking agent. Sheesh, didn't they learn anything from Greg Lemond? These things are ineffective vs a clean rider. :rolleyes:

Well at least it took a few pages before the local Lance fanboy mentioned Greg Lemond on a completely unrelated thread.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
I'm curious whether Tchmil boots him immediately or actually tries to support him.
Kolobnev = Ruski

Tchmill = Ruski

contract law written in cyrillic or azbuka. He wont get reamed from behind cos he is one of their own.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I think "damaging Katushas reputation" is what is known as an oxymoron.
oh Dimspace, so much for the cleanliness of Team Sky, they are as dirty as anyone.

I would actually say it is more of a pleonasm, than an oxymoron anyhow. This IS the reputation of the peloton writ large, you fail and demonstrate a bigotry pointing at the Ruskis.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
oh Dimspace, so much for the cleanliness of Team Sky, they are as dirty as anyone.

I would actually say it is more of a pleonasm, than an oxymoron anyhow. This IS the reputation of the peloton writ large, you fail and demonstrate a bigotry pointing at the Ruskis.

Yeah but that is based on pure speculation, whereas Katusha have had several positive tests so we know for sure that something isn't right. What evidence circumstantial or otherwise is there about Sky? I'm not saying Sky is clean or dirty, but you're posting opinion as fact.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Yeah but that is based on pure speculation, whereas Katusha have had several positive tests so we know for sure that something isn't right. What evidence circumstantial or otherwise is there about Sky? I'm not saying Sky is clean or dirty, but you're posting opinion as fact.
have a look at their heads and morphing bone structure. Lots of hormones going thru their veins not endogenous.

Compare their physiognomy to riders of 30 years back, and how they stripped the weight like Wigans to achieve GC goals. ;)

blackcat said:

I saw someone bleating about how super-clean HCT couldn't get a sponsor.

Remember - Dirty Teams = non english speaking teams, especially any team that comes from an former Communist country. Clean teams = Sky, BMC, RS, HGH and Garmin-Perception=Reality.

I mean it's not like Tchmil has gone back on his word and signed ex-dopers to run his team, like Yates or Neil Stephens. It's not like Katusha have been signing riders like Mick 'friend of Ferrari' Rogers, or Possoni.

Maybe if Tchmil learnt to say 'aww shucks' like Wilbur Post, or perhaps grew some **** side burns like Vaughters, or maybe shaved his head and talked about 'that extra 1% and marginal gains' then that would help improve the reputation of his team. Since it appears that this is all that is needed to make the anglophones think that your team is clean.

Catching a minor rider = UCI tough on doping.

I am just waiting for St Millar to spout some guff about it and Frodo to talk about prison rape.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
have a look at their heads and morphing bone structure. Lots of hormones going thru their veins not endogenous.

Compare their physiognomy to riders of 30 years back, and how they stripped the weight like Wigans to achieve GC goals. ;)

It's scary how thin Brad is this year. My youngest brother is 18, five foot ten inches and weighs somewhere around 52kg. He has chronic fatigue syndrome and has been this size for years. Everyone in my family is naturally thin, well guys anyway, whilst in our teens. Wigans is 6'3" last time I checked and Liggett said he was 69kg this year. He looks as skiny as my brother, perhaps more. Here I was thinking they had a test for AICAR, so what the hell did he use this time to shed even more weight than in 2009?

One needs only look at the whole British track program funded the same way as Sky to realise something ain't natural about the noggins on some of those guys and girls.

As for Kolobnev. Shame, I liked him, same with Ignatiev. Pity Katusha have been as useful as a wet paper bag this Tour. As for Russian doping, this is nothing. Their Nordic skiers are the ones you should be taking concern with. Those dopers have been warned to tone down or risk not being allowed to compete in their upcoming home grown Winter Olympics. I've heard things about their blood profiles...stuff that makes cycling look a little too pure and clean by comparison.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Thisi s going back some years, but the East Germans were right up there. Hey if you're going to do something, may as well go the whole way.

Marva32 said:
As somebody who is on the medication under the prescription of a doctor, I can say that it comes in oral form. Of course, now I have no chance at having a competitive career. Not that I ever really had one.

I'll take that as an excuse too, though I'm taking the ACE inhibitor with it, and the net effect is supposed to sort of cancel out the retention of the ACE vs. the diuretic of the HCT. I started taking it mid 40s, so it does seem a stretch to think there's a legit TUE that will may have been procured at some point.

-dB

TRENDING THREADS