• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kreuziger going down?

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
It was the least suspicious Kreuziger that got popped though. The 2 years of Kreuziger's career one might say weren't suspicious were 2011-12.

It would be like if Contador got popped in 2010 or one of the Schlecks got popped in 2012 or something.

The timing is indeed somewhat surprising. I can't say I'm crying in my beer over this guy though.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
stutue said:
How quaint.

I'm sure you would have been equally understanding and complimentary of the DS's ethics had it been Sky afflicted with a Tour rider with a dodgy passport.

Point beeing?

If you wish to debate potential fanboyism, start your own thread..
No need to demolish this thread, searching for a fight..

My take on it must be this:

1. RK has some problems coming up..
2. Team decides to be proactive and act now
3. No conclusion/decicion yet right?
4. RK may not be in form (like 2013), hence the rush to do something and add Majka..
5. Sky having PR issues regarding doping (not the time to hide, and hope for the best)
6. Making a sacrifice now could be means to an end...
7. If Rk pulls through this innocent the team will have a strong position of ethics, if not the same...
Riis have been undergoing serious invetagation by the ADD and others for several years now, not the tiome to play invincible hero like in the past..
Point beeing: Clever to put it out in the open themselves, before some "clever" journalist gets first..

MarkvW said:
I get it! The UCI is conspiring to make its premier event boring and non competitive! One more example of nefarious conspiracy and influence.

ASO has an event scheduled for Yorkshire, paid for by the taxpayers. In that light, it seems like a good business decision.

Of course, it could have been someone clearing off the last bit of paperwork before a holiday at the UCI.

It's not like the UCI has ever been consistent about positives, so lots of possibilities.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I just get the feeling too much is being read into this. He had a problem period or 2 which appeared on his passport. He was given the time to explain it, tried and failed, appealed and tried again and apparently failed again and now has been pulled from racing, there may be no more to it than that.

I've no doubt that the UCI suspects as strongly as many of us do which teams/riders are full gas, but i still think it's difficult to catch them dead to rights and ban them, especially when you really aren't trying very hard, but when one falls in your lap you have to do something.

If I was to tip why a leaner years like 2011 or 2012 would flag over 2013 or 2014, I'd say riders and teams weren't so adept at getting around the passport in those years.

I really don't buy any conspiracy theory other than shooting for what we don't know won't hurt us.

DirtyWorks said:
ASO has an event scheduled for Yorkshire, paid for by the taxpayers. In that light, it seems like a good business decision.

Of course, it could have been someone clearing off the last bit of paperwork before a holiday at the UCI.

It's not like the UCI has ever been consistent about positives, so lots of possibilities.

If teams were convinced that the UCI fixed races for a particular team, the pro teams would abandon the UCI post haste.

They can probably tolerate Verbruggen messing with individual dopers, but organized team favoritism? Highly unlikely.

If pro teams believed the weird conspiracy jabber spouted here in the Clinic, there would have been a breakaway league long ago.

MarkvW said:
If teams were convinced that the UCI fixed races for a particular team, the pro teams would abandon the UCI post haste.

They can probably tolerate Verbruggen messing with individual dopers, but organized team favoritism? Highly unlikely.

If pro teams believed the weird conspiracy jabber spouted here in the Clinic, there would have been a breakaway league long ago.

Yes and no.

Not all teams have the same objectives in the same races. French teams hunting for stages and being in the break is just as good sponsorship wise as Sky winning the Tour.

Additionally the UCI is not the sport. The race owners have a good deal of clout and like to see a result that fits the race.

Belgium kermesses are a good example which have been "fixed" since the beginning of time.

Moose McKnuckles said:
I don't think this has anything to do with Sky, frankly.

Kreuziger has seemed dodgy for awhile now. I'm not surprised to see him get popped.

Well so far he has not been popped. All that is happened is the UCI wrote him a letter saying they disagree with his experts evaluations of the alleged normalities of his BP.

The UCI has not disclosed, nor has Kreuziger told us what those alleged abnormalities are. Since Kreuziger has never been sanctioned, and at this stage we don't have a clue about the abnormalities, how can he have seemed dodgy for a while now. What do you know that we don't.

thehog said:
Yes and no.

Not all teams have the same objectives in the same races. French teams hunting for stages and being in the break is just as good sponsorship wise as Sky winning the Tour.

Additionally the UCI is not the sport. The race owners have a good deal of clout and like to see a result that fits the race.

Belgium kermesses are a good example which have been "fixed" since the beginning of time.

I totally agree that the UCI is not the sport. That's why I don't think that the pro teams would tolerate a UCI that fixed races for particular teams. They'd just move away. That's why I'm very skeptical of this latest conspiracy theory.

I'd chalk up Kreuziger's somewhat delayed troubles to bureaucratic inefficiency. Seems a lot more logical.

RobbieCanuck said:
Where is your evidence? Even the Cycling News article states, "Currently there has been no statement from the UCI or CADF."

So how can you say "apparently Kreuziger's blood values indicate he was doping" You are just another Clinic speculator who makes specious conclusions based on gossip.

Gossip? Why do you think they took Kreuziger out of the Tour?

If that's gossip then what would you describe the allegations against Sky as?

Pack Fodder

BANNED
May 14, 2014
Visit site
MarkvW said:

I am somewhat confused by this alleged conspiracy.

The argument appears to be that this was only done now, because Sky are a favoured team, or Britain is a favoured country, or something like that.

Yet the last similarly high profile passport pull I remember was of a British Sky team member - Tiernan-Locke right before the world championships in 2013.

I can't really reconcile these two things into a consistent conspiracy.

Is it not more likely that Roman was simple..well...caught? Like Tiernan Locke before him?

May 19, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:
It was the least suspicious Kreuziger that got popped though. The 2 years of Kreuziger's career one might say weren't suspicious were 2011-12.

It would be like if Contador got popped in 2010 or one of the Schlecks got popped in 2012 or something.

:D

If I were a doper, the lesson here would be to never come off the sauce. Or secretly clone a fetus whose lifeblood you siphon at regular intervals until said clone reaches puberty and becomes more interested in girls than being a blood bank. Either or.

Anomalies, eh?

Fagniniwins said:
:D

If I were a doper, the lesson here would be to never come off the sauce. Or secretly clone a fetus whose lifeblood you siphon at regular intervals until said clone reaches puberty and becomes more interested in girls than being a blood bank. Either or.

Anomalies, eh?

Tyler Hamilton's ephemeral twin says hello.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Pack Fodder said:
Yet the last similarly high profile passport pull I remember was of a British Sky team member - Tiernan-Locke right before the world championships in 2013.

A few caveats:

1. RK has more talent in his pinky than JTL in his whole body.
2. RK is more pivotal in his team than JTL
3. JTL wasn't pulled just before the TdF and thus affecting a major competitor. Anyone saying JTL would have stopped Rui Costa needs to get his head checked.

That said, I'm also extremely sceptical about this "conspiracy".

Franklin said:
A few caveats:

1. RK has more talent in his pinky than JTL in his whole body.
2. RK is more pivotal in his team than JTL
3. JTL wasn't pulled just before the TdF and thus affecting a major competitor. Anyone saying JTL would have stopped Rui Costa needs to get his head checked.

That said, I'm also extremely sceptical about this "conspiracy".

Actually you don't know that RK has that much talent it could all be a total sham, his dad was a cyclist and he seemed to be introduced to Ferrari at a young age, if JTL had that sort of program who knows, JTL was most likely on a program without a doctors help.