• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance rakes in $2 mil for Down Under

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
NashbarShorts said:
No doubt there are probably many ppl EMPLOYED by LiveStrong that are doing good and working sincerely in regards to patient advocacy, assistance, etc.

However, you have to question the man at the top. He bills his own charity $5K/hour for travel expenses. What percentage of LiveStrong's cash flow is merely diverted to his own personal coffers? That is the real question, and the organization's financial disclosure statements seem to be very "dynamic".

The "real question" is "Is it legal?". If it is legal your question amounts to nothing but the usual sour grapes. You'd be better off, like the other clown(s) do, of whining that he didn't visit every one of the 7 or 8 million people around the world that die of the disease each year and therefore is worthy of your scorn.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
No doubt there are probably many ppl EMPLOYED by LiveStrong that are doing good and working sincerely in regards to patient advocacy, assistance, etc.

However, you have to question the man at the top. He bills his own charity $5K/hour for travel expenses. What percentage of LiveStrong's cash flow is merely diverted to his own personal coffers? That is the real question, and the organization's financial disclosure statements seem to be very "dynamic".

Do you have a link showing this?

The claims that Lance gets his own private jet from the charity, or gets 5000 dollars an hour for travel expenses keep getting floated... but I've never seen anyone show evidence of this. There's nothing in the Livestrong financials showing it... but others seem to think they are suspect so that doesn't prove anything. I'm willing to believe that... but there has to be some basis for the claims that the charity is funneling him all this money.

I know he's profiting from his association with the charity. I know that when the LAF sold the rights to "Livestrong.com" to demand media, Lance got hired in conjunction... recieving an equity stake in the company. Lance gets a LOT of advertising opportunities that come from his association with the livestrong brand.

Its precisely because of that relationship that I struggle to see why he'd do the other stuff people accuse him of here. If you're making millions through endorsements because of a relationship with livestrong... why jeapordize that by charging 5000 dollars an hour for travel under the table? It doesn't make much sense.

Kind of like riding a criterium when under drug investigation. Does riding the stupid criterium benefit you enough to risk several extra months worth of suspension?

Both would seem like very stupid risks for very little (relative) reward.

kurtinsc said:
Do you have a link showing this?

The claims that Lance gets his own private jet from the charity, or gets 5000 dollars an hour for travel expenses keep getting floated... but I've never seen anyone show evidence of this. There's nothing in the Livestrong financials showing it... but others seem to think they are suspect so that doesn't prove anything. I'm willing to believe that... but there has to be some basis for the claims that the charity is funneling him all this money..

So how does such a small organisation burn through the travel budget of an 40,000 employee company?

Its in the financials. What doesn eveyone in the company have a paid tour around the world each year?

The travel budget doubled since Comeback 2.0. Hmmmm.......

kurtinsc said:
I know he's profiting from his association with the charity. I know that when the LAF sold the rights to "Livestrong.com" to demand media, Lance got hired in conjunction... recieving an equity stake in the company. Lance gets a LOT of advertising opportunities that come from his association with the livestrong brand.

To clarify; LAF lease the name Livestrong from Armstrong. NIKE pay Lance for the name Livestrong (as its separate from LAF). Other organisations pay Lance for the name Livestrong. Then they pay the small amount from each purchase of x product to LAF.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
SpeedWay said:
The "real question" is "Is it legal?". If it is legal your question amounts to nothing but the usual sour grapes. You'd be better off, like the other clown(s) do, of whining that he didn't visit every one of the 7 or 8 million people around the world that die of the disease each year and therefore is worthy of your scorn.

Just because something is legal does not mean it's O.K.

thehog said:
I think the problem with Lance is not so much the amount he's being paid as a sportsman. It's not the borderline charity work that gets done. It's not the *"I'm retiring from cycling - this is my retirement from international racing" - for the 7th time. It's the wonderful expression I learnt in Australia as a kid growing up - "Ya full of *** mate". That's the problem. Armstrong is full of ****. Generally Aussies are great at calling out someone who is taking the mick, the p1ss or being a flaming gala. Aussies are awesome at not letting anyone get ahead of themselves and getting too big for their boots. But right here aussies feel stupid and are trying to rationalise it through impact to the economy.. Australia despite its distance from the rest of the world is cutting edge, way ahead of it's time and for god sake had a federal surplus. So why oh why are they paying out of their own pockets for a drug dealer? You're more than that Australia. Yes I know Lance has done good things and draws a crowd but there's one thing that i know from being an Australian and growing up in your wonderful country..... you hate a bullsh1t artist. You shouldn't accept this. You can do much better. Lance got you and you don't want to admit it.

Thanks Hog. You sure hit the nail on the head this time. Keep punching.

We're drifting off topic a little here. The question isn't really about Livestrong's validity, it's more about if it is beneficial, or proper, for Lance to be given $2 million to appear at this race.

I'd like to think that money could be much better spent in promoting the race itself, the support of cycling, or cleaning up the sport, than on Lance.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
We're drifting off topic a little here. The question isn't really about Livestrong's validity, it's more about if it is beneficial, or proper, for Lance to be given $2 million to appear at this race.

I'd like to think that money could be much better spent in promoting the race itself, the support of cycling, or cleaning up the sport, than on Lance.

But this is money from the South Australian Government so it wouldn't go to cleaning up the sport. I personally think it some should go to a bigger prize pool and some to get someone like Cavendish down here for showdown with Greipel.:eek:

The Schlecks are supposedly coming down as that will be there first race in their new team colours.

auscyclefan94 said:
But this is money from the South Australian Government so it wouldn't go to cleaning up the sport. I personally think it some should go to a bigger prize pool and some to get someone like Cavendish down here for showdown with Greipel.:eek:

The Schlecks are supposedly coming down as that will be there first race in their new team colours.

Cavendish wont come because he is scared of Greipel.

Cleaning up the sport, Cycling in SA is not dirty, so not sure what there is to clean.

I wouldnt have thought the prize pool matters to Pro Teams, they get their costs paid by Govt to come.

Paying Armstrong does generate worldwide advertising and lots of local advertising, thats why they pay him, not because Mike Rann loves him.

Regards

Hugh

SpeedWay said:
You'd be better off, like the other clown(s) do, of whining that he didn't visit every one of the 7 or 8 million people around the world that die of the disease each year and therefore is worthy of your scorn.

if that's aimed at me then you should at least put it in context - I was rebutting the accusation that I did nothing for the cause.
I personally don't see doing a training ride, schmoozing with politicians and holding joey's in front of the media as doing much for those in the Adelaide hospitals.
I'm mearly pointing out that I've been with more cancer patients in hosptials in Adelaide than he has... and at least what bit of fundraising I've done has gone to research and not gone into my own pockets...

TRENDING THREADS