• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance rakes in $2 mil for Down Under

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
craig1985 said:
Perhaps the people in SA should voted in somebody other then Mike Rann last year.

could be worse. at least it's not gillard.
must admit I'm still baffled how Rann even got elected in the first place...
he's a mug-cnut of the highest order, which is why he's probably pulling all the strings for his "bestest buddy" to come down for a ride...

Finishing 29th left the American cycling great pleasantly satisfied with his comeback to professional racing. But Armstrong was especially delighted to raise several millions of dollars towards a new cancer research centre in Adelaide, which the cancer survivor learned on Saturday night would be named after his own foundation.

South Australian Premier Mike Rann and Armstrong yesterday announced the new $34 million cancer research facility, to be established within the Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, would be known as the Livestrong Cancer Research Centre.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-for-lance-a-lot/story-e6frg6nf-1111118664694

Apparently Lance "raised several millions of dollars" for it? Does that mean that he shared a glass of red with Ranny when he decided he was going to fund it?

This article is from last year, it seems the story has changed a bit since then. It seems it's gone from the government naming it as a "tribute" to Lance and costing $34mil, to Lance "donating" the name and costing $27mil.

I wonder if it ever gets built now.

By the way, you guys need to lay off Ranny, he's been through some tough times.

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...ielding-attacker/story-e6frfkvr-1225781832110

It is understood Mr Rann's alleged attacker was at an upstairs wine tasting function. He rushed down the stairs and allegedly struck Mr Rann repeatedly to the face.

Police Acting Inspector Rob Badenock said Mr Rann was struck under the eye with a rolled up magazine, The Advertiser reports.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I really don't care what Livestrong is exactly, I was pointing out the fact stated in the article that he donated the Livestrong name to the building. Whats so difficult to understand? It clearly has some value in goodwill or the government of Australia would not have done the deal. I don't know anything about LA's businesses and it appears you track him closely but if he donated the name of a for profit business that would seem a significant donation. The Australian government saw the goodwill associated with it.

Buildings start late all the time, so what. I have no idea how a hospital or state funded research building works in Australia but i know well that in the US a hospital would not start building if it was not funded. I suspect it may have started late due to funding issues but it was not started with incomplete funds as you state.

Somebody else stated Tiger was paid 3MM, no link as usual like you. I could not find anyplace that the government pretended to make a donation and paid LA directly although I have seen it stated several times in this thread.
You need to check your 'facts' - the reason I did not provide links is that it was heavily discussed and accepted at the time - but I have included links here.

LA did not donate the 'Livestrong' name - the Flinders Medical Centre was renamed "Livestrong', was "dedicated" to his name.

Also building started on time - it was not due to start until August, that was known in January at the photo op.

Regarding the fee- Cyclingnews January 2009:
"All teams that take part are paid a fee to do so," Parker told Cyclingnews . "Any fee which may have been paid to Lance will go to his charity."

It was followed up in the NYT that was not the case:
Armstrong did not specify the amount of his fee but said on Saturday that, contrary to what had been reported here last week, he was not donating the fee to his foundation but treating it as income: just as he has his other speaking and appearance fees since retirement.

I think the problem with Lance is not so much the amount he's being paid as a sportsman. It's not the borderline charity work that gets done. It's not the *"I'm retiring from cycling - this is my retirement from international racing" - for the 7th time. It's the wonderful expression I learnt in Australia as a kid growing up - "Ya full of *** mate". That's the problem. Armstrong is full of ****. Generally Aussies are great at calling out someone who is taking the mick, the p1ss or being a flaming gala. Aussies are awesome at not letting anyone get ahead of themselves and getting too big for their boots. But right here aussies feel stupid and are trying to rationalise it through impact to the economy.. Australia despite its distance from the rest of the world is cutting edge, way ahead of it's time and for god sake had a federal surplus. So why oh why are they paying out of their own pockets for a drug dealer? You're more than that Australia. Yes I know Lance has done good things and draws a crowd but there's one thing that i know from being an Australian and growing up in your wonderful country..... you hate a bullsh1t artist. You shouldn't accept this. You can do much better. Lance got you and you don't want to admit it.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I think the problem with Lance is not so much the amount he's being paid as a sportsman. It's not the borderline charity work that gets done. It's not the *"I'm retiring from cycling - this is my retirement from international racing" - for the 7th time. It's the wonderful expression I learnt in Australia as a kid growing up - "Ya full of *** mate". That's the problem. Armstrong is full of ****. Generally Aussies are great at calling out someone who is taking the mick, the p1ss or being a flaming gala. Aussies are awesome at not letting anyone get ahead of themselves and getting too big for their boots. But right here aussies feel stupid and are trying to rationalise it through impact to the economy.. Australia despite its distance from the rest of the world is cutting edge, way ahead of it's time and for god sake had a federal surplus. So why oh why are they paying out of their own pockets for a drug dealer? You're more than that Australia. Yes I know Lance has done good things and draws a crowd but there's one thing that i know from being an Australian and growing up in your wonderful country..... you hate a bullsh1t artist. You shouldn't accept this. You can do much better. Lance got you and you don't want to admit it.

Hog: the Australian Government, Lance and I are smarter than you. By the way I wear a yellow Livestrong bracelet and ride a TREK!

Dr. Maserati said:
You need to check your 'facts' - the reason I did not provide links is that it was heavily discussed and accepted at the time - but I have included links here.

LA did not donate the 'Livestrong' name - the Flinders Medical Centre was renamed "Livestrong', was "dedicated" to his name.

Also building started on time - it was not due to start until August, that was known in January at the photo op.

Regarding the fee- Cyclingnews January 2009:

It was followed up in the NYT that was not the case:

Sorry Dr. Nick the way it was written you made it seem like August was a late start date, work on that structure brother. They did NOT rename the Flinders Medical Center, check your facts as you like to say. A new research center on the Flinders complex was named Livestrong, its in your link and clearly stated in the other links provided, deja vu right? The original link says the the Livestrong name was donated, unless you can prove otherwise I will trust the printed word although I'm not sure its important how the name got on the building.

Seems LA and the promoters had a misunderstanding on the appearance fee, so what, big deal. Can't be to ****ed since it seems they are willing to pay another 2MM to have him come to AUS again. Hopefully this time its fully understood so nobody gets their panties in a bunch, namely this forum as the promoter seems to care less.

flicker said:
Hog: the Australian Government, Lance and I are smarter than you. By the way I wear a yellow Livestrong bracelet and ride a TREK!

Bullsh*t!
Australian Government put Gillard in charge - no government in their right mind would do that...
as for you, I believe the government at issue here is the South Australian Government, specifically Mike Rann, so maybe you're not as sharp after all...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
Sorry Dr. Nick the way it was written you made it seem like August was a late start date, work on that structure brother. They did NOT rename the Flinders Medical Center, check your facts as you like to say. A new research center on the Flinders complex was named Livestrong, its in your link and clearly stated in the other links provided, deja vu right? The original link says the the Livestrong name was donated, unless you can prove otherwise I will trust the printed word although I'm not sure its important how the name got on the building.

Seems LA and the promoters had a misunderstanding on the appearance fee, so what, big deal. Can't be to ****ed since it seems they are willing to pay another 2MM to have him come to AUS again. Hopefully this time its fully understood so nobody gets their panties in a bunch, namely this forum as the promoter seems to care less.

No- I was pointing out that they went groundbreaking on a building that was not due to start until August, so it was merely a photo op & had nothing to do with donating his name as you suggest.

Some links for you:
Here is the original announcement from the government - where the naming of the Center was first made.
Nor in any press release by either Livestrong or Flinders it does not say the name was "donated" so the piece you quote is erroneous.

No - the Flinders Centre was not renamed, I certainly could have written that better, the Cancer Research centre was named Livestrong - it is within the Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer which is within the Flinders Medical Centre

To the highlighted - of course you are missing what all this goes back to - 'Comeback 2.0'. No, it is not important why it was named after Livestrong - but LA did not donate either the name or any money to it - and in fact takes $2million a year which surely would be better served going directly to the Centre.

Lance says his comeback is all about taking the fight of Cancer global - this one "was on the house" - as usual this was another lie.

JRTinMA said:

Not really, seeing as this is a sporting forum, we are allowed to discuss the sporting merits of such a decision.

I think you will find that any rational cycling fan would prefer that if that sort of money is being thrown around, it be used to make a world class race on the road.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
Bullsh*t!
Australian Government put Gillard in charge - no government in their right mind would do that...
as for you, I believe the government at issue here is the South Australian Government, specifically Mike Rann, so maybe you're not as sharp after all...
Mike Rann is the phil liggett of politics. just a babbling old fool. But I guess that could apply with brumby, gillard, rudd...
good we agree on politics!;)

flicker said:

Sounds like you need a root mate. Relax.

There is an article on the issue in today's Crickey. Anyone from the land Down Under care to reproduce & link?

ultimobici said:
He stated that the money was his appearance fee when its charity status was queried originally.

Livestrong/LAF has raised $325m according to their own site Of that virtually none is for research. Livestrong and its predecessor LAF exist to promote cancer awareness and provide moral support to those afflicted with the disease.

To put the contribution into perspective, Cancer Research UK spent £335M in one year on research. That's more in one year than LAF has raised in 13!

As far as I can tell none of the appearance fees he has received have been rebated back to LAF/Livestrong or the communities that have paid for his presence.

yeh - Cancer Research UK might spend enormous amounts each year - but that doesnt actually take away from what a single person has done for Cancer as well. How much have you raised for cancer? (or any other cause really)

He doesnt raise money for cancer research ... he raises funds for cancer awareness, for support for cancer patients and cancer survivors. The 'cancer centres' he did donate funds to in Australia were for these purposes, not for research.

Look - I dont worship the grounds he walks on. I think its pretty clear he was doped up to his very eyeballs. But that doesnt change what he HAS done ... recover from cancer and reach the pinnacle of a pretty tough sport (even with drugs) which is pretty amazing. (I have cancer so do understand the miracle of what drugs can acheive).

SA have paid him a fortune in appearance fees - but will probably make their money from the deal as he has raised the public awareness and attendances of the event.

auscyclefan94 said:
Mike Rann is the phil liggett of politics. just a babbling old fool. But I guess that could apply with brumby, gillard, rudd...
good we agree on politics!;)

looks like we do, especially if you're referring to my earlier post about him...
must admit I'm still baffled how Rann even got elected in the first place...
he's a mug-cnut of the highest order, which is why he's probably pulling all the strings for his "bestest buddy" to come down for a ride...

living away from Australia and looking back in from the outside has been an eye opener on just how our country is viewed. It's no surprise the ignorance displayed by so many from both outside and inside...
This farce with LA going to the tour down under is just another example

AussieGoddess said:
He doesnt raise money for cancer research ... he raises funds for cancer awareness, for support for cancer patients and cancer survivors. The 'cancer centres' he did donate funds to in Australia were for these purposes, not for research.

seriously, can anyone actual define what that means?
Is there anyone on this planet that isn't aware of cancer??
And just how does Livestrong show it's support for patients?

Did he visit patients on the wards at the RAH or at Flinders or any other hospital in Adelaide last year?

hubbard said:
well, he is doing a lot more than you, me or any other keyboard warrior here. you cant argue about that fact..

He certainly is. Paying bribes, snorting c0ke, intimidating witnesses, providing false testimony in civil trials, lying to cancer patients he's doing a lot more than I'm doing in committing fraud. I forgot to tick the box "tax except" the last time on gave a charitable donation - That’s my contribution to fraud. Lance is on a different level than me.

The guy is a loser. If you get a kick out of lying to people who are dying then I would suggest you need some serious physiological help.

What ever floats your boat.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
seriously, can anyone actual define what that means?
Is there anyone on this planet that isn't aware of cancer??
And just how does Livestrong show it's support for patients?

Did he visit patients on the wards at the RAH or at Flinders or any other hospital in Adelaide last year?

I've known several people with cancer who were contacted by Livestrong during or after treatment. One in particular who had testicular cancer got a lot of help from the charity, most importantly finding financial assistance to help pay for treatment. He also got help with preserving fertility prior to treatment, information on treatment options and their side effects, contact information for support groups, and even motivational crap that seemed pretty useless to me but seemed to help him (he started training for a triathlon after his treatment... and he was not the most in shape guy beforehand).

Lance is a jerk, but Livestrong does help those living with or living after having survived cancer. They aren't about finding a cure for a cancer... they are about providing support for those who have cancer or survived a bout with cancer.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I really don't care what Livestrong is exactly, I was pointing out the fact stated in the article that he donated the Livestrong name to the building. Whats so difficult to understand? It clearly has some value in goodwill or the government of Australia would not have done the deal...

????

The point is, he was paid $2M appearance fee, and in response....he told some local cancer clinic he'd "let" them use his name on their entry signage ("The XYZ Livestrong clinic"). What a patron saint.

The gov't of SA paid the fee to generate publicity/tourism revenue for their region. It had nothing to do w/ this ancillary clinic issue. That was just a gratuitous photo op for Armstrong.

Speaking of clinics and naming rights, any chance Lance would allow this forum to be called, "The Cyclingnews/Livestrong Doping Awareness Clinic"?? :)

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
I don't know what Armstrong did with any monies he received. He may well have donated it to LAF or he may have just banked it.

OMG, dude.

That is like saying, "I may go by foot. Or I might just walk." It's the same thing. :p

Are you just visiting out there in the 'The Twilight Zone', or do you think your stay will be permanent?

hubbard said:
well, he is doing a lot more than you, me or any other keyboard warrior here. you cant argue about that fact..

sure, my fundraising for cancer research is only a couple of grand, but that's more than he's donated to research.

how many cancer patients has he consoled?
he wasn't sitting with my uncle or grandfather when they were dying from it.
nor was here there for the several times my mother and my cousin went through it...
I also have some friends that have survived or are currently dealing with their own bouts of cancer, and I'm yet to see him show up for them.

how does selling bracelets and nike t-shirts while smoozing politicans and profiting from the above mentioned people's suffering help or support them??
that's their taxes that punt is lining his pockets with, so f**k him.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Lance is a jerk, but Livestrong does help those living with or living after having survived cancer. They aren't about finding a cure for a cancer... they are about providing support for those who have cancer or survived a bout with cancer.

No doubt there are probably many ppl EMPLOYED by LiveStrong that are doing good and working sincerely in regards to patient advocacy, assistance, etc.

However, you have to question the man at the top. He bills his own charity $5K/hour for travel expenses. What percentage of LiveStrong's cash flow is merely diverted to his own personal coffers? That is the real question, and the organization's financial disclosure statements seem to be very "dynamic".

AussieGoddess said:
yeh - Cancer Research UK might spend enormous amounts each year - but that doesnt actually take away from what a single person has done for Cancer as well. How much have you raised for cancer? (or any other cause really)

Look - I dont worship the grounds he walks on. I think its pretty clear he was doped up to his very eyeballs. But that doesnt change what he HAS done ... recover from cancer and reach the pinnacle of a pretty tough sport (even with drugs) which is pretty amazing. (I have cancer so do understand the miracle of what drugs can acheive).

SA have paid him a fortune in appearance fees - but will probably make their money from the deal as he has raised the public awareness and attendances of the event.

It’s a well established fact in cancer research that cancer is a modern day disease. Much work has been conducted on ancient remains of humans particularly in Egypt to test if cancer existed 100’s if not 1000’s of years ago. Tumours preserve themselves in the dead. They do not decompose like skin. They attached themselves to bone and are still in place. What was discovered that cancer was really only created in the 1900’s and specifically post second world war. Its also a well established fact cancer is a western disease. Cold War studies found that in Eastern Europe that cancer was almost non existent in children well into the 1980’s. Cancer really only exisits today from the way we live. From diet, lifestyle and toxins we come into contact with.

I hardly think Livestrong nor Lance will be interested in Cancer research knowing what he put into his body before and after treatment. His drug use more than likely caused his cancer and I’m surprised he didn’t relapse post treatment. He’s hardly the poster boy or someone who should champion the cancer cause considering his well documented use of PED’s and recreational drugs. I think people have others to look to in the prevention of cancer and/or its treatment. Its this misrepresentation of disease which and pardon the pun is most sickening behavioral trait of the man.

TRENDING THREADS