• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis letter re drug use in cycling

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Handle said:
Don't get your hopes up. It lasts for about ten minutes, they talk about Lance's crash, talk about him never having failed a test, and then the guy who wrote the book talks about Landis marriage break up. Then it's on to Lindsey Lohan's arrest.

You'll have to wait for Floyd himself - I'm sure they will get him on within the week.

kubrickheader.jpg

offbyone said:
They still make the choice and all these guys are smart enough to know what they are doing. I do agree that the culture must change.

However, I guess i am optimistic, I feel like that change is already happening and doing so on a big scale. Personally, I really think what garmin has done to be a giant step in the right direction. In order to do that you have to have buy in from the managers, doctors and promoters. Columbia has also taken some steps in the anti doping fight within their organization. These are the two big, established but still up and coming american teams. Being that I think the change is occurring and from the top down, I don't see this point as an issue.

The top is UCI, Pat McQuaid is the most powerful individual in the sport - do you believe he's completely dedicated to cleaning things up?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
offbyone said:
They still make the choice and all these guys are smart enough to know what they are doing. I do agree that the culture must change.

However, I guess i am optimistic, I feel like that change is already happening and doing so on a big scale. Personally, I really think what garmin has done to be a giant step in the right direction. In order to do that you have to have buy in from the managers, doctors and promoters. Columbia has also taken some steps in the anti doping fight within their organization. These are the two big, established but still up and coming american teams. Being that I think the change is occurring and from the top down, I don't see this point as an issue.

how is the sport changing from the top down in this instance ?

tubularglue said:
how is the sport changing from the top down in this instance ?

The managers, directors, and owners for that matter have worked on creating a team that has anti doping built into the culture. That is the change we need.

Not too mention, this isn't some little club team, this we are talking about successful pro tour team.

offbyone said:
The managers, directors, and owners for that matter have worked on creating a team that has anti doping built into the culture. That is the change we need.

Not too mention, this isn't some little club team, this we are talking about successful pro tour team.

Yet for every "clean team" there is an equal in a BMC Racing Team or a Team RadioShack.

The cycle needs to be broken.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on Larry King. They started off with Bruyneel and Bill Strickland, author of the new book, Tour de Lance. I think they owe Michael J. Fox a residual because it was an episode of Spin City

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Handle said:
For real crime I totally agree, but we're talking about a culture in the sport of cycling from almost a decade ago, and they weren't even in charge of his doping when he got caught. And there is the manner in how it is done - he's not doing this for any other reason than spite, obviously. To come out after you've had an appeal to save your own skin and spent years trying everything you can to escape the rap, even hacking into lab computers. It beggars belief how he has handled this.

I do not disagree with you, but when does "wrong" become "right" ? (just before the left ?)

Is it possible what he says is true ? yes, but I'm not buying it without any evidence or corroborating testimony from others cited- (and so far, they haven't)- but should the evidence or corroboration appear, I will defer to it and be glad for the truth, although I would be disappointed with the others; this would not be a vindication either for FL in my opinion- but there is more in telling the truth than honouring lies.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
offbyone said:

Am i to believe that a successful pro tour team is anti doping savvy.

I don't believe anything has changed. Is this a scary statement?

for instance......................what happened to those transfusion bags from last year. I mean, that was like 10 whole months ago. Hey UCI, what happened to those bags that were found. You know, the seven distinct DNA profiles from the team that won the race.

Nothing changes, if nothing changes

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Handle, oh dear Handle, your funny, but you belong on /b/

this is descending into chaos. this is fun to watch. i joined up it was so much fun instead of just lurking all the time.

anyway, i just hope the mud sticks this time.

ferminal said:
Yet for every "clean team" there is an equal in a BMC Racing Team or a Team RadioShack.

The cycle needs to be broken.

tubularglue said:

for instance......................what happened to those transfusion bags from last year. I mean, that was like 10 whole months ago. Hey UCI, what happened to those bags that were found. You know, the seven distinct DNA profiles from the team that won the race.

Well I am sorry you are so pessimistic. Change of this magnitude will certainly take more time than we would like.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
tubularglue said:

Not defending the UCI in any way, but they had nothing to do with the infusion kits. They conduct doping tests for the Biological Passport, they don't perform searches.

The news about the investigation came out a couple of days before Christmas. An arm of French Law Enforcement had gone through medical waste from a number of teams looking for items or signs of activity that are illegal in France. The group, Central Office against Environmental Damage and Public Health (OCLAESP), only had sufficient evidence to pursue Astana.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I would think that France would be looking into the UCI and allegations of bribe money to cover things up. But I have to ask those here who have been most vociferous damning others on their suspicion if they would be willing to reconsider their opinion if the Feds and French police find nothing to FLs story ?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
offbyone said:
Well I am sorry you are so pessimistic. Change of this magnitude will certainly take more time than we would like.

you don't need to feel sorry.

sometimes you pick up an apple, and it has a bruise on it.
sometimes an apple sits, and you realize it is rotten to the core.

i don't blame the riders -
i don't blame the teams -
so much as i blame the governing bodies. just like that apple written about above.

where is my copy of strunk and white - absolutely pitiful

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Like most of your posts you are wrong again with this. There are others who will support what he has said.

Well I may be wrong, like I said time will tell. Like most of my posts? Not sure there was a need for the snide remark but I guess thats your MO.

As to others supporting him, if there is no hard evidence why would you side with an admitted liar and a fraudster? You would do little but tarnish your own credibilty, but we'll see.

I don't mind accepting if I'm wrong, it's only my opinion after all. Somehow I doubt that you will.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Good detective work Race Radio. It makes me think this is going to go much deeper than a he said/he said stuff that quiets down in a few weeks with the FDA involved. I wonder who else they are going to try to talk to? I wonder who will say what?

If I were Floyd, I'd stay completely out of the limelight for a long while, and only answer the phone to my family, closest friends, and investigators.

Good detective work?! Lol its called gathering the evidence to suit your argument. But I agree Race is very good at it.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Laszlo said:
I would think that France would be looking into the UCI and allegations of bribe money to cover things up. But I have to ask those here who have been most vociferous damning others on their suspicion if they would be willing to reconsider their opinion if the Feds and French police find nothing to FLs story ?

France has no authority over the UCI. They're an international organization based in Switzerland. And as far as I know, the groups that have been mentioned as talking to Landis are all American - the USADA and USA Cycling for sure, and the criminal arm of the FDA if the Wall Street Journal sources are right.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
2004 Tour Team....all were on the bus during the team transfusion

1 Lance Armstrong (USA)
2 Jose Azevedo (Por)
3 Manuel Beltran (Spa)
4 Viatcheslav Ekimov (Rus)
5 George Hincapie (USA)
6 Floyd Landis (USA)
7 Benjamin Noval (Spa)
8 Pavel Padrnos (Cze)
9 Jose Luis Rubiera (Spa)

This thread is just mad, wow.

You guys are great retro stats/facts....if this thread keeps going maybe it could be the "Lance" book itself:rolleyes:

Seeing Big Georges name here really hits me, I dont why no surprises, but deep down disappointment...

Time for Floyd to the pony right into town !

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:

"if the Feds and French police find nothing to FLs story?"

Are you insane? How could they find nothing? There's already a mountain of crap on these frauds.

Why do you get such pleasure massaging pharmstrong's nut?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else notice that the number of pages is going up and down at the moment? Almost like someone is going back through earlier parts of the thread and deleting posts....

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
France has no authority over the UCI. They're an international organization based in Switzerland. And as far as I know, the groups that have been mentioned as talking to Landis are all American - the USADA and USA Cycling for sure, and the criminal arm of the FDA if the Wall Street Journal sources are right.

( I kinda knew that, but...) France may not have authority, however, they may not permit the UCI to operate within it's borders if it can be shown the organization is fraudulent on behalf of French atheletes being cheated of rightful results by virtue of competitors bribing the organization to ignore positive doping tests.

I am not a lawyer (obviously)- but there seems to be a willingness by some governments to fight sporting fraud. I think that where there is legal betting on a sport, there is a moral obligation to ensure there is no fraud.