• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis letter re drug use in cycling

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
craig1985 said:
Call me naive but I tend to believe Barry there.

Yeah, he does seem genuine. But then he might also be like Vaughters, i.e. made a mistake when he was younger and under a lot of pressure. Who knows. Anyway, I wonder how long it will be now for the next piece of the jigsaw. Hope this isn't like the Astana syringes and just seems to drift away.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Yeah, he does seem genuine. But then he might also be like Vaughters, i.e. made a mistake when he was younger and under a lot of pressure. Who knows. Anyway, I wonder how long it will be now for the next piece of the jigsaw. Hope this isn't like the Astana syringes and just seems to drift away.

For mine, and how I look at it was that at USPS, it was the riders that were used for the Tour de France, and some of their other top tier riders were on the program, for want of a better word, whilst everybody was either clean or fended for themselves. I mean you can't honestly tell me that Kenny Labbe or Michael Creed were doping?

craig1985 said:
For mine, and how I look at it was that at USPS, it was the riders that were used for the Tour de France, and some of their other top tier riders were on the program, for want of a better word, whilst everybody was either clean or fended for themselves. I mean you can't honestly tell me that Kenny Labbe or Michael Creed were doping?

I agree with you, it would hav eonly been the select few who were selected for access to the jungle juice. I hope Barry is clean, but in a way I hope he isn't as if one part of Floyds evidence is dishonest, then the whole pack of cards comes toppling down and TBH I'd be happy for Barry to be proven to be lying if it gets LA, Bruyneel and the UCI (in its current guise) out of the game once and for all.

My guess is that Barry is feeling somewhat like Landis four short years ago. That he didn't dope anymore than anyone else, and it's not fair to be singled out. Though in Barry's case, he probably doped less than the others.

Here is the link to the FDA and Jeff Novitzsky investigating, written by the WSJ, arguably the most credible media source in the country. Novitzsky was the lead investigator in the BALCO investigation.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Here is the link to the FDA and Jeff Novitzsky investigating, written by the WSJ, arguably the most credible media source in the country. Novitzsky was the lead investigator in the BALCO investigation.

Ok now I'm becoming a bit less negative! I'm still not sure if there will be a real investigation, but it has already gotten further than I feared where it would stall. It says he spoke with Novitsky, which isn't exactly the same as a full blown investigation, but it's a very promising start. Now let's hope Novitsky gets a budget and time to wrap this one up.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
barn yard said:
the ship has hit an iceberg

johan is the captain

he may miraculously plug the hole or he may be swallowed up into the murky depths

only time will tell

Yeah, but this one is on our side , so it's a Niceberg!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Many will still believe. As long as Lance denies, they still have slivers of hope to grasp to. Plus, unlike Floyd, Lance isn't in a position to actually gain a lot of fans by confessing.

mjohnson_atoc_stage5_9_600.jpg

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad Landis's truth is out there.

It doesn't matter why it has come out now, just that it has. It doesn't matter what people could have done for him for it not to come out, just that they didn't and it is out there now.

Just because he may not be the most credible now and also easy to smear, doesn't mean it is not the truth as he sees it.

Perhaps there may be some inconsistancies and some details that could be seen in other ways but there is such a resonance of truth in the over all thrust of it.

Lets hope it does create an environment in the medium term to improve the cycling world.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Aust' ABC Radio Current Affairs Radio

Australia's ABC premier current affairs radio evening program is running the story now, leading with the Armstrong angle and the complete centrepiece.

South Australian Premier is a complete bloody fan boy....no surprise really :p

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
The way Landis has handled this whole affair really highlights his lack of basic intelligence and morality. Here's a guy who wants a clear conscience, well since 2006 he has used every means to duck and dive his way out of it. In doing so, he pretty much defrauded everyone who backed him in his legal quest. (I hope they all sue him to be honest)

If any of his allegations are true, he could of been the linch pin in pretty much busting open the whole doping culture in the peleton. Instead he tried to keep everything he had going by continuing a lie.

Floyd, its too late for you to get a clear conscience, I hope you have this terrible burden of guilt for the rest of your days. If you love the sport, you would of done the right thing in 2006, like LeMond tried to get you to do. To put your hand and admit to doping would of given you some integrity and credibility, doing what you are doing now simply boggles the mind.

Its a sad day for cycling. It really shows a perverse culture, where some athletes really do put themselves up way beyond the sport they serve.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the media is starting to turn on Lance. A few years ago this stuff would have been dismissed out of hand as slander and jealousy on Landis' part, but various places (including ESPN) are taking it pretty seriously.

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Was looking at older Floyd twitter posts:

TheRealFloydL Planning something for 2010 that will change the cycling world forever!
Tuesday, December 29th by Floyd Landis, Professional cyclist, Cycling

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Roland Rat said:
Morning all. You seen this yet? Video from the RS car after the crash with Lance whining before retiring:

BICYCLING MAGAZINE EXCLUSIVE: Lance Crashes, Drops Out of TOC: http://bit.ly/9mchfL

Interesting video and not what I expected to see. Firstly it does away with those who suggested that the crash was a set up to get him out of Cali and away from the media. Secondly, I didn't expect to see JB babying him along like that. Levi is the one that's gonna win him the race but Lance is the won who brings the dollars to the team. Gotta keep milking that cash cow JB. Thirdly, Lance was never in any mind other than he was going to abandon and wouldn't be talked round. He seemed a little disappointed that his eye didn't swell up any more and then it was on to the elbow. Is this the man that's gonna win Tour number 8? No.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
issoisso said:
No. It wasn't. At all. It was significantly slower. As was the one LeMond won next year.

1988 - 38.909 km/h
1989 - 37.818 km/h
1990 - 37.818 km/h (that's not a typo. It was exactly the same as the previous year)
1991 - 38.747 km/h
1992 - 39.504 km/h

As for the final TT, it wasn't just downhilll. It had a tailwind 3/4 of the way.

kiwirider said:

Funnily enough, on the palmarès page, the times and distances for most of Armstrong's victories has been zeroed out ... don't know if that means anything or not ...

Anyhow, the following is from Matt Rendell's book on the Tour:
Armstrong's Tours were all won with averages between 40.56km/h and 48.78km/h - the latter (which was 2003) is the fastest on record ...

Here's Armstrongs average speeds:

2005 - 41.654 km/h
2004 - 41.016 km/h
2003 - 40.030 km/h
2002 - 39.982 km/h
2001 - 40.016 km/h
2000 - 39.556 km/h
1999 - 40.277 km/h