• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leading GB cyclist tests positive (yikes)!

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
BullsFan22 said:
Any bets on him getting a pass?

Cookson just issued a press release:

"We set up an independent taskforce to look into the issue of asthmatics in the peloton along with this case specially. The independent team went over the records of the athlete concerned and once it was confirmed that the athlete was indeed British and spoke English a backdated TUE was issued and the provisional suspension removed. The UCI will not be commenting further on the issue.”

Surely this has to be baiting and / or trolling?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
TheSpud said:
thehog said:
BullsFan22 said:

"We set up an independent taskforce to look into the issue of asthmatics in the peloton along with this case specially. The independent team went over the records of the athlete concerned and once it was confirmed that the athlete was indeed British and spoke English a backdated TUE was issued and the provisional suspension removed. The UCI will not be commenting further on the issue.”

I thought it was funny. Obviously some Utopians want to believe it is a troll or baiting.

Re: Re:

vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:
Seriously? You ignore the more pertinent information such as the approval and info on inhalers in the UK and Australia and focus on the US? You are wrong. Accept it.

I never made any claims about usage in the UK or Australia. I mentioned the US in passing in one line of a larger post which you called "absolute rubbish" even though your own link says the same thing - that terbutaline inhalers are no longer available there.

Back to the actual point - salbutamol is the most popular asthma drug in the world, as one of the most common drugs of any kind. It also doesn't require a TUE.

If you want to talk about the UK and Australia:

This article from Australian Prescriber journal http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/17/3/artid/87 lists salbutamol as one of the 50 most prescribed drugs in Australia but doesn't mention terbutaline.

This repost of 2007 NHS data showing the 100 most prescribed drugs in the UK http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4009 has salbutamol at number 5 but has no mention of terbutaline either.

So again, why did Yates take terbutaline and not salbutamol?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was due to cost, ie Salbutamol is cheap as chips, but possibly only 75% as effective as others (e.g. Terbutaline) that are 4-5 times the price. That's me speculating but it could be a reason why Salbutamol is prescribed. In the UK its about £8 odd for a prescription - if Sal costs less than £8 and Terb is, say, £15+ then I can see why Sal would be prescribed.

Glenn_Wilson said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:
BullsFan22 said:

I thought it was funny. Obviously some Utopians want to believe it is a troll or baiting.

Ahh - you missed my irony ...

thehog said:
Irondan said:
Appears he's needed this med for a long time. :rolleyes:

Here come the troops!

What I find odd is Yates dropped Goss's inhaler, then OGR start asking teams for one of there's... didn't Yates have one to provide if he asthma?

28jczd3.jpg

2wc0gzl.jpg

2ur6xhv.jpg

kf1g0g.jpg

LOL...that is so true. Yeah, WTF. His ventolin (salbuterol) thingy....Oh wait, I have to take some inhaler stuff/thingy thing too...where the F*&k is mine??? Does he need a TUE to use mine now?!?!

Salbutomol is a two puff relief usually, Terbutaline one puff, so even though more expensive, some say it's stronger, so similar priced, but I don't know if it's just the dosage. My wife used to have less side-effects with Terbutaline, but she uses Salbutomol now, but her Ashtma is not half as bad now as it was 10 years ago. Yates choosing Terbutaline instead of Salbutomol could well simply be related to less side-effects. Obviously if he's using it for doping, who knows?

Re:

zigmeister said:
Well it's official. No suspension. Back dated TUE...ooopsy. No worries, wasn't a substance that would get you suspended anyway apparently.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/04/news/yates-avoids-provisional-suspension-after-anti-doping-positive_403983
That article just says that he is not provisionally suspended. It says nothing about a backdated TUE and nothing about whether he will receive a suspension after the B sample is tested and the process is completed.

TheSpud said:
vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:
Seriously? You ignore the more pertinent information such as the approval and info on inhalers in the UK and Australia and focus on the US? You are wrong. Accept it.

I never made any claims about usage in the UK or Australia. I mentioned the US in passing in one line of a larger post which you called "absolute rubbish" even though your own link says the same thing - that terbutaline inhalers are no longer available there.

Back to the actual point - salbutamol is the most popular asthma drug in the world, as one of the most common drugs of any kind. It also doesn't require a TUE.

This article from Australian Prescriber journal http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/17/3/artid/87 lists salbutamol as one of the 50 most prescribed drugs in Australia but doesn't mention terbutaline.

This repost of 2007 NHS data showing the 100 most prescribed drugs in the UK http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4009 has salbutamol at number 5 but has no mention of terbutaline either.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was due to cost, ie Salbutamol is cheap as chips, but possibly only 75% as effective as others (e.g. Terbutaline) that are 4-5 times the price. That's me speculating but it could be a reason why Salbutamol is prescribed. In the UK its about £8 odd for a prescription - if Sal costs less than £8 and Terb is, say, £15+ then I can see why Sal would be prescribed.

I'll forgive you as you don't live in the UK but I know you meant to say 'in parts of the U.K.'.

ferryman said:
TheSpud said:
vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:

I'll forgive you as you don't live in the UK but I know you meant to say 'in parts of the U.K.'.

Salbutamol is for the maintenance of asthma, it is not something one should be using on a daily basis, although a lot of people do.

Terbutaline is used to control asthma prior to actually having it, it is used to open the lower bronchi as generally an inhaler doesn't get absorbed that far into the lungs. Its a fairly extreme drug to take. Not something one would be on long term.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

carton said:
You can be skeptical if someone states that he's asthmatic, that it's late onset, exercise-induced, or that salbutamol doesn't work for them. But all those things are genuine medical issues for people. Are they issues for Simon Yates? Is he dirty? You make up your own mind. But I have to categorically disagree that you can outright assume that is he dirty just because he says he has asthma, late-onset or not (BTW, I don't know where that is claimed).
Good point, not saying young Yatesy doesnt have asthma but if he does he is one hell of an athlete and should get a medal, and, subsecuently start a foundation for asthma patients who want to ride like a cycling pro.

Heard all the excuses the last 30 years, not buying it.

There was a reason why salbutamol was once banned, ask Indurain. Same goes for caffeine pills, ask Bugno. Or, the fifty percent rule, ask Cappuccino.

When u try to dope with grey stuff please make sure your stuff is not contaminated: Impey says high.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

TheSpud said:
vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:

WT cycling team doing the maths on inhalers...hmmm. Has to be that. Definitely not doping. No way!

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
carton said:
You can be skeptical if someone states that he's asthmatic, that it's late onset, exercise-induced, or that salbutamol doesn't work for them. But all those things are genuine medical issues for people. Are they issues for Simon Yates? Is he dirty? You make up your own mind. But I have to categorically disagree that you can outright assume that is he dirty just because he says he has asthma, late-onset or not (BTW, I don't know where that is claimed).
Good point, not saying young Yatesy doesnt have asthma but if he does he is one hell of an athlete and should get a medal, and, subsecuently start a foundation for asthma patients who want to ride like a cycling pro.

Heard all the excuses the last 30 years, not buying it.

There was a reason why salbutamol was once banned, ask Indurain. Same goes for caffeine pills, ask Bugno. Or, the fifty percent rule, ask Cappuccino.

When u try to dope with grey stuff please make sure your stuff is not contaminated: Impey says high.

If Simon Yates was an asthma sufferer he would not call an inhaler the 'Puffer thing' now would he.

But as he is an anglo-saxon and a British rider, he is as clean as Mr Tom. ;)

shalgo said:
zigmeister said:
Well it's official. No suspension. Back dated TUE...ooopsy. No worries, wasn't a substance that would get you suspended anyway apparently.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/04/news/yates-avoids-provisional-suspension-after-anti-doping-positive_403983
That article just says that he is not provisionally suspended. It says nothing about a backdated TUE and nothing about whether he will receive a suspension after the B sample is tested and the process is completed.

Why will they ask for the B-sample to be tested? It's not like it won't show Terbutaline.

They will just send documentation and explanation to the UCI and wait for the verdict.

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Terbutaline can be used instead of salbutamol. It may be that he prefers using the turbohaler. I worked for a few years as a hospital pharmacist. Doctors often have strange prescribing habits. It may be less commonly used than salbutamol but it is a perfectly reasonable treatment choice for someone who actually has asthma.

fergilico said:
Terbutaline can be used instead of salbutamol. It may be that he prefers using the turbohaler. I worked for a few years as a hospital pharmacist. Doctors often have strange prescribing habits. It may be less commonly used than salbutamol but it is a perfectly reasonable treatment choice for someone who actually has asthma.
Is it perfectly reasonable choice for someone who's a pro athlete and has non-prohibited alternatives to choose from?

Ramon Koran said:
veji11 said:
Ramon Koran said:
Reading through thé case i have come up with what could be an explanation.
Yates comes back to europe from warm training camp in SA. On his first races back in Ardèche he becomes victim to asthma. The team prescribe medication quickly because they need him competitve for Paris Nice however Forget to ask for Tue. He then test positive and in the light of the Sutton scandal British cycling leak the story to relieve pressure on the coach.
Conclusion orica and British cycling are incompetent and Yates is a mere victim.

And yet he should get suspended, just like Offredo got suspended for the missed tests in the Adams software despite the fact that it was his team who forgot to write in his correct location for what turned out to be his third no-show.

If you start covering for athletes who are "mere victims" than you will see "mere victims" coming up every time...
Disagree, the rider was not at fault it seems. The team itself has said that it is responsible so the team should face the consequences. A fine, ban from one wt race, and anything else that impedes the team but not the rider. If we start going after the rider it sets a bad precedent for such cases. Yates should be able to ride.

The rider was at fault. Ultimately it is his responsibility to make sure his ducks are in a row. After all it is his butt on the line. Yates took a banned substance. He broke the rules and should suffer the consequences. But like all things cycling Yates will go unpunished.

I also find it incredulous that the DS's would just assume a TUE had been granted. In other words I believe they knew full well there was no TUE but just assumed this would all be cleared up after the fact or figured Yates would not be popped.

Ahh, I see his use of Terbutaline was listed on the test form. They must have known he was glowing and figured he would not be tested.

Benotti69 said:
TheSpud said:
vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:

WT cycling team doing the maths on inhalers...hmmm. Has to be that. Definitely not doping. No way!

I was referring to its use generally, not whether teams were working out costs.

TRENDING THREADS