• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LeMond's letter to McQuaid

http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2012/open-letter-pat-mcquaid-greg-lemond#comment-107135

Open Letter to Pat McQuaid from Greg LeMond
Thu, 10/25/2012 - 2:31am by Andy Shen

Greg LeMond posted this to his Facebook timeline this evening. Please pass it around

Can anyone help me out? I know this sounds kind of lame but I am not well versed in social marketing. I would like to send a message to everyone that really loves cycling. I do not use twitter and do not have an organized way of getting some of my own "rage" out. I want to tell the world of cycling to please join me in telling Pat McQuaid to f##k off and resign. I have never seen such an abuse of power in cycling's history- resign Pat if you love cycling. Resign even if you hate the sport.

Pat McQuaid, you know dam well what has been going on in cycling, and if you want to deny it, then even more reasons why those who love cycling need to demand that you resign.

I have a file with what I believe is well documented proof that will exonerate Paul.

Pat in my opinion you and Hein are the corrupt part of the sport. I do not want to include everyone at the UCI because I believe that there are many, maybe most that work at the UCI that are dedicated to cycling, they do it out of the love of the sport, but you and your buddy Hein have destroyed the sport.

Pat, I thought you loved cycling? At one time you did and if you did love cycling please dig deep inside and remember that part of your life- allow cycling to grow and flourish- please! It is time to walk away. Walk away if you love cycling.

As a reminder I just want to point out that you recently you accused me of being the cause of USADA's investigation against Lance Armstrong. Why would you be inclined to go straight to me as the "cause"? Why shoot the messenger every time?

Every time you do this I get more and more entrenched. I was in your country over the last two weeks and I asked someone that knows you if you were someone that could be rehabilitated. His answer was very quick and it was not good for you. No was the answer, no, no , no!

The problem for sport is not drugs but corruption. You are the epitome of the word corruption.

You can read all about Webster's definition of corruption. If you want I can re-post my attorney's response to your letter where you threaten to sue me for calling the UCI corrupt. FYI I want to officially reiterate to you and Hein that in my opinion the two of your represent the essence of corruption.

I would encourage anyone that loves cycling to donate and support Paul in his fight against the Pat and Hein and the UCI. Skip lunch and donate the amount that you would have spent towards that Sunday buffet towards changing the sport of cycling.

I donated money for Paul's defense, and I am willing to donate a lot more, but I would like to use it to lobby for dramatic change in cycling. The sport does not need Pat McQuaid or Hein Verbruggen- if this sport is going to change it is now. Not next year, not down the road, now! Now or never!

People that really care about cycling have the power to change cycling- change it now by voicing your thought and donating money towards Paul Kimmage's defense, (Paul, I want to encourage you to not spend the money that has been donated to your defense fund on defending yourself in Switzerland. In my case, a USA citizen, I could care less if I lost the UCI's bogus lawsuit. Use the money to lobby for real change).

If people really want to clean the sport of cycling up all you have to do is put your money where your mouth is.

Don't buy a USA Cycling license. Give up racing for a year, just long enough to put the UCI and USA cycling out of business. We can then start from scratch and let the real lovers in cycling direct where and how the sport of cycling will go.

Please make a difference.
Greg

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Turner29 said:
I love the spirit but it could be better written.

With all due respect, I disagree.

There's a concept called the writer's "voice" - and this letter protrays Greg's voice, and emotion, nicely. He's not the smartest cookie - spelling mistakes are evidence of that - but it's a genuine message.

As an example of a well written message, look at the latest diary entry from Cadel. Not only is it spineless and sterile, it's clearly not Cadel's "voice".

Happily posted it to the blog.

LeMond is standing with Kimmage and he is totally daring McQuaid and Verbruggen to sue him.

This is huge support for Kimmage. Hopefully this publicity will get Kimmage more money. I reckon he needs at least 200-300K to put on the ideal defense.

But most importantly Greg is urging people to talk to the UCI in the only language that it understands: MONEY.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Turner29 said:

What it confirms for me is that Greg Lemond wrote it. Not a pr guy like Fabiani or an "attorney" like Herman. Paddy and Dopey Verdruggin are the core problem causing the decay and rot at the very core of the sport.

I hope US racers protest as suggested by Lemond. Don't renew your Weasel USACycling license. Race at the regional level and give your money to a regional association for a year. Money talks. Tell Steve Johnson and his buddies to go screw themselves in their dead nether regions.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
LeMond is standing with Kimmage and he is totally daring McQuaid and Verbruggen to sue him.

This is huge support for Kimmage. Hopefully this publicity will get Kimmage more money. I reckon he needs at least 200-300K to put on the ideal defense.

But most importantly Greg is urging people to talk to the UCI in the only language that it understands: MONEY.

One sentence in Lemond's letter is very interesting. What might Lemond have in his file to substantiate the charge of corruption against Tweedle Dum and Tweedle De?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
With all due respect, I disagree.

There's a concept called the writer's "voice" - and this letter protrays Greg's voice, and emotion, nicely. He's not the smartest cookie - spelling mistakes are evidence of that - but it's a genuine message.

As an example of a well written message, look at the latest diary entry from Cadel. Not only is it spineless and sterile, it's clearly not Cadel's "voice".

Happily posted it to the blog.

Exactly right. A great letter and expression of true emotion by someone who loves the sport.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
babastooey said:
It was a lot longer than I thought it would be. I was thinking it would go something like this:

Dear Pat,

Time to quit.

Love, Greg

Dear Pat,

Time to do the world a favor and jump off a f*cking bridge.

Love Greg.

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Comments on GL's facebook page from folk suggesting it might not be him:

"Typos and other clues that this may not be real. I don't disagree with many of the thoughts but doubt this is actually from Greg....."
and
"You keep resending this, Greg. Did someone take over your account? Are you okay, or just stuck on the send button?"

I hope it's real and GL is simply making sure the message gets out there by spamming his own facebook - he does say he's "not well versed in social marketing".

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
that will be his son.

who started a facebook page the LA was/is a fraud. (going back a few years) I am not a FB user, but have a profile and put my name to the membership (or whatever its callled

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
all i cared for in the plea was:

I have a file with what I believe is well documented proof that will exonerate Paul.

good speaker/writer or not, greg has proven to be firmly in possession of winning facts and evidence every time some one challenged him both on the road or in the court room.

it was hugely encouraging to read THAT passage.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Turner29 said:

D-Queued said:
Yes, but that makes it real. It is a sincere plea that was clearly written by the man and not by an attorney or PR firm.

Dave.
sincerity shines thru in a clumsy language.

no need to be scripted, edited, revised. Armstrong talks in rhetoric, answers questions with questions "why would I..." "its not about the money..."

all these lead ins and rhetorical questions, actually tell us the position and demeanour of the person questioned. No plainspeaking. Just grandstanding justifications, that are sometimes sifted thru a prism of PR flaks

TRENDING THREADS