• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lennard Kämna Bandwaggon thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

(...)
Due to mental problems, Kämna, who grew up near Bremen, took a five-month break, which has now come to an end with his participation in the Cape Epic mountain bike race in South Africa. “I lived my life wrong,” the 25-year-old nun wrote to the Weser-Kurier in an interview. The reason for his difficulties is a lack of inner balance Gesen, especially in the event of setbacks.

Not even the stage win on the tour could fully satisfy him, says Kämna. As soon as things don't go as expected, he has problems “getting me satisfaction outside of the sport. I missed opening up to other things, developing other interests. I didn't get over the time in which I had to get out of my tunnel as a competitive athlete well. And those are bigger and bigger fluctuations - on the one hand this totally focused training, on the other hand the time in which I did not train. "

That changed during his time off. Kämna is a nun in possession of a sailing license and spends time with friends and family. “Today I notice who I missed a lot. I will integrate this time into my competitive sport. Because I hope I have been more balanced and happier, "he said.

This should also pave the way to further successes. In the coming year, Kämna will attack again on the street. "I'll change to get to my old level. It's a longer road, I still have a lot of work to do. But I know that I can buy it," he said.

I don't think he's a nun now, by the way, google translated.

Due to mental problems, Kämna, who grew up near Bremen, took a five-month break, which has now come to an end with his participation in the Cape Epic mountain bike race in South Africa. “I lived my life wrong,” the 25-year-old nun wrote to the Weser-Kurier in an interview. The reason for his difficulties is a lack of inner balance Gesen, especially in the event of setbacks.

Change of career? Bit unexpected...

(...)

Not even the stage win on the tour could fully satisfy him, says Kämna. As soon as things don't go as expected, he has problems “getting me satisfaction outside of the sport. I missed opening up to other things, developing other interests. I didn't get over the time in which I had to get out of my tunnel as a competitive athlete well. And those are bigger and bigger fluctuations - on the one hand this totally focused training, on the other hand the time in which I did not train. "

That changed during his time off. Kämna is a nun in possession of a sailing license and spends time with friends and family. “Today I notice who I missed a lot. I will integrate this time into my competitive sport. Because I hope I have been more balanced and happier, "he said.

This should also pave the way to further successes. In the coming year, Kämna will attack again on the street. "I'll change to get to my old level. It's a longer road, I still have a lot of work to do. But I know that I can buy it," he said.

I don't think he's a nun now, by the way, google translated.

Do you know how he and Zwiehoff did today?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
He will attack on the streets? Sounds like a guy to keep away from.
Warrior-Nun-recensie-poster.jpg

Nice victory today. Im really curious how hell do in the Giro now that he finally wants to ride a the GC.

Anyways it seems he is the last german cyclist who somewhat delivers. Buchmann a shadow of his old self. Ackerman in the same boat. Schachmann burned out. Polit forgot how to ride cobbled classics....
Not having high expectations for Kämna at the Giro, tbh. Think he can have a great career at week long stage races and as stage hunter in GTs (as he has shown) but not going for the GCs there.

Anyway, I know it might be all individual reasons but quite interesting that it went that wrong for Buchmann or Schachmann. Both not old as well and looked really close to world class only recently. But actually same holds a bit for the Austrians formerly at Bora - Konrad, Großschartner, to some degree Mühlberger (although he has the most obvious explanation) all peaked in or around 2019.

Not having high expectations for Kämna at the Giro, tbh. Think he can have a great career at week long stage races and as stage hunter in GTs (as he has shown) but not going for the GCs there.

Anyway, I know it might be all individual reasons but quite interesting that it went that wrong for Buchmann or Schachmann. Both not old as well and looked really close to world class only recently. But actually same holds a bit for the Austrians formerly at Bora - Konrad, Großschartner, to some degree Mühlberger (although he has the most obvious explanation) all peaked in or around 2019.
Interesting timing (but for discussion in the clinic) for German and Austrian athletes.

Schachmann was still good in 2020 and 2021. Last year he suffered from chronic fatigue after getting Covid twice and this year he got sick during Paris-Nice and started training too soon afterwards (according to himself).

I actually thought that he had given up on GT GCs a while ago already.
IMO he could comfortably stealth himself into the top 10 if he makes it through in one piece but wants to play an active role during the Giro so that could get into the way of a solid overall result.

I actually thought that he had given up on GT GCs a while ago already.
IMO he could comfortably stealth himself into the top 10 if he makes it through in one piece but wants to play an active role during the Giro so that could get into the way of a solid overall result.
We will see. But I still somehow have the feeling that lower top 10 at the Giro is the maximum. If he wants that, fine.

We will see. But I still somehow have the feeling that lower top 10 at the Giro is the maximum. If he wants that, fine.

That's what I'm seeing for him as well. If it's 10th or closer to the top five depends on how many of the riders who are actually stronger are forced to drop out of the race, or the GC at least.

I feel like finishing 5th to 10th in a 1 week WT stage race with some proper mountains, a TT and a solid startlist tells more about a riders GC abilities than a similar result in a GT. Where you usually have a lot of very good riders not making it to the finish and thus lesser pros who were lucky enough not to crash, get sick etc end up somewhat high in the GC while never being really competitive against the very best in the race.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS