• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Turkey stage three. The last climb saw action and splits in the peloton, but Bennett was near the front throughout. He won again, Richeze second, Degenkolb third. Hodeg got dropped on the climb. Degenkolb is either improving or he just likes the harder stages more. Bennett went a bit early and Richeze played it well, getting on his wheel and trying to come around but just didn’t have the speed. It’s a pity Gaviria isn’t there.

Tomorrow is the GC day and even “climby” sprinters like Bennett are going to be long dropped by the end, so there will be a new leader.

Nice to see Colbrelli win. He’s a good rider who profits when things get tough. It should be said though that he’d have won there even on a clown’s miniature tricycle. I think you’d have to go back to some edition of Catalonia to find a sprint race/stage with so many WT teams and so few sprinters.

It’s a bit weird in retrospect that QS sent both Hodeg and Gaviria to Turkey with Richeze rather than sending one here.

According to the QS race report, they knew in advance that Hodeg would probably get dropped on the hill in Turkey, so they already planned to ride for Richeze. That sounds a bit concerning when it comes to Hodeg’s durability. Getting dropped is one thing, the team knowing you couldn’t hold on in advance is another. Hopefully this is something he can improve and not a case of Guardini syndrome.

Is he the first Colombian to make the pro ranks who can’t climb at all?

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
According to the QS race report, they knew in advance that Hodeg would probably get dropped on the hill in Turkey, so they already planned to ride for Richeze. That sounds a bit concerning when it comes to Hodeg’s durability. Getting dropped is one thing, the team knowing you couldn’t hold on in advance is another. Hopefully this is something he can improve and not a case of Guardini syndrome.

Based on 2nd half of this season. Gaviria :D

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:

Hodeg is Kittelesque. This should surprise absolutely no one.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

GuyIncognito said:
And since we're talking about him, I want to point out it's pronounced "Hodge". It's an english name, just spelled a little differently but the pronounciation is the same.

Now somebody please inform commentators of that...
"I promised to tell you a small secret. The secret is related to my name: H-O-D-G-E. Yes, you read it correct. About four years ago, I realized my name had been changed. Not my first name, Álvaro, but my surname, Hodge. Somehow and suddenly my identity papers said Hodeg and not Hodge, like it used to and like my family name is spelled.
I never got to do anything about it, so now everybody knows me as Hodeg, even my website is called Alvarohodeg.com, but the correct spelling and pronunciation is actually Hodge – which to be fair, nobody in Colombia really understood how to pronounce. I inherited it from my great-grandfather, who was Scottish but left his country during the war with the hope of finding a place to settle down with better life opportunities. He came by boat, believing he was in the United States, but in fact he had arrived in Cartagena, Colombia. I am glad he did!"

Read more at http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/alvaro-hodeg-from-monteria-to-europe-via-medellin/3554#8iqLGdOZZudLV1hS.99

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

I had never realized how big he is. 76 kg is the weight listed on his team profile.

Zinoviev Letter said:
DNP-Old said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

I had never realized how big he is. 76 kg is the weight listed on his team profile.

For 1,76kg. For reference Viviani is 8kg lighter, Gaviria 5kg, Bennett 7kg, and they're all taller than him. So he really is all muscle even for a sprinter

Tim Booth said:
GuyIncognito said:
And since we're talking about him, I want to point out it's pronounced "Hodge". It's an english name, just spelled a little differently but the pronounciation is the same.

"I promised to tell you a small secret. The secret is related to my name: H-O-D-G-E. Yes, you read it correct. About four years ago, I realized my name had been changed. Not my first name, Álvaro, but my surname, Hodge. Somehow and suddenly my identity papers said Hodeg and not Hodge, like it used to and like my family name is spelled.
I never got to do anything about it, so now everybody knows me as Hodeg, even my website is called Alvarohodeg.com, but the correct spelling and pronunciation is actually Hodge – which to be fair, nobody in Colombia really understood how to pronounce. I inherited it from my great-grandfather, who was Scottish but left his country during the war with the hope of finding a place to settle down with better life opportunities. He came by boat, believing he was in the United States, but in fact he had arrived in Cartagena, Colombia. I am glad he did!"

Read more at http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/alvaro-hodeg-from-monteria-to-europe-via-medellin/3554#8iqLGdOZZudLV1hS.99

The Colombian Sergei Gonchar
Gonchar eventually managed to get it corrected in his mid 30s.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:

The strange thing was that the Danish commentators yesterday talked about exactly that and agreed to alternate the pronunciations to keep listeners at their toes :D

I guess because they had only heard English-speaking people call him Hodge and didn't know that he calls himself that. But they did know that it was of Scottish origin.

Brian Holm (his own director) calls him Hodge though. But when he started commentating he kept calling Edvald Boasson Hagen Edvald Hagen Boasson even though he had been directing him :rolleyes:

Tim Booth said:
GuyIncognito said:

I might have mentioned this before, but the first time I read that story I seriously imagined his great-grandfather in a row-boat!

And, talking about weird pronunciations; what the hell was Lander calling Colbrelli during Piemonte?

Chapeau Colbrelli - a lonnnnng sprint! :) Hope the moto guys and all invovled in crashes are ok.

Tour of Turkey stage 4 could be fun on Friday - http://www.tourofturkey.org.tr/en/stages - 9% for the last 3 kms should be fun.

tour-De-Turkeystage4.jpg

TRENDING THREADS