• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2023 edition

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Oberösterreichrundfahrt* starts today with a 0.6km prologue.
What's that: one lap of a supermarket carpark? The length of a minor shopping street?
WHY?

I note they have had something similar (although 50-100 metres longer) for a few years now: it obviously works for someone.

*Yes, I copied and pasted it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What's that: one lap of a supermarket carpark? The length of a minor shopping street?
WHY?

I note they have had something similar (although 50-100 metres longer) for a few years now: it obviously works for someone.

As long as it isn't solely decided by reaction time, I'm fine with a bit of mixing things up.

(plus, I'm not paying attention to .2 races anyway)

WHY?

I still like the prologue, although, as I have posted before, it creates a very fast paced production when the next rider starts just before the previous rider finishes. It's just a one minute uphill sprint, but it's still capable of creating some gaps.

WHY?

I mean, the Österreich Rundfahrt used to do that for 2 years, but those were really short uphill prologues (the final 600m of the Kitzbüheler Horn or up the Grazer Schlossberg).

I mean, the Österreich Rundfahrt used to do that for 2 years, but those were really short uphill prologues (the final 600m of the Kitzbüheler Horn or up the Grazer Schlossberg).
For those who remember the glory days of US racing, the Philly classic race had an uphill TT sprint of the Manayunk Wall the evening before. It didn't have any bearing on the one-day race but I watched it a few times in the late 1990s/early 2000s...kind of miss that race, although the Wall was the only interesting feature.

Fun fact about the Oberösterreich prologue, which was introduced in 2021 and was the same last year as well:
Belgian cyclocrosser Daan Soete has won it both times, his road wins no. 1 & 2 so far in his career (he's 28 now). And his teammate Lander Loockx was 2nd both times. In a race which is separated by tenths of a second (top 20 were all within 4 seconds in 2021). What are the odds?

In general, this race likes its strange opening stages. In previous years they had a 12 km road stage up the Pelmberg in Linz to kick things off. Albanese won it as a 19-year-old in his rather spectacular 2016 espoirs season, the season which turned me into probably the chief hype man for him on this forum. It only took him about six years to deliver on that promise.

In general, this race likes its strange opening stages. In previous years they had a 12 km road stage up the Pelmberg in Linz to kick things off. Albanese won it as a 19-year-old in his rather spectacular 2016 espoirs season, the season which turned me into probably the chief hype man for him on this forum. It only took him about six years to deliver on that promise.
Your hype gained a lot of attention for him if the 2017-19 Emerging riders game was any measure of its effectiveness: he was picked on 32 out of 35 teams (more popular than Bernal), and went on to score 86 points over the three years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Here's a conversation I imagine happened:

Tour of Malapolska organisers: We'll have a 1.4 km prologue. That'll be something uniquely short!
Oberösterreich Rundfahrt organisers: Hold our Ottakringer!

And from the result of stage 1 of Ronde de l'Oise:

Did they look at the date and go "Oh, ***! It's June..."?
(Yes, I notice these things!)
Maybe they misread the name of the race and thought it was all about losing?

Sorte seems to be on his way to another victory in Linz.

Nice to see Daniel Federspiel doing better again. His mother suddenly dying in 2020 was a huge blow to him. His father abandoned them when he was 4, so they were really close. He and his GF are great people.

No idea who's gonna win on the Hinterstoder MTF, Ricci Zoidl vs Cabedo?
Cabedo hasn't looked great so far this season, so I'm not sure what he can do. Jonas Rapp has been up there in the last couple of years, so he might be a challenger as well.

bring back the Reggio Calabria Giro prologue
The Lion King approves. That was an iconic start to an iconic Giro.
mario-cipollini-a-Reggio-Calabria.jpg

TRENDING THREADS