• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2024 edition

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That will probably make him a national hero and the expected next winner of theTour.
Well, regular Swedish people hardly even noticed when Bäckstedt won Paris-Roubaix so I wouldn't hold my breath for him being anything close to a national hero. Then again Gustav Larsson who won a silver in the ITT in Beijing became known as Silver-Gustav in the mainstream sports media at least.

Ok, today's quiz - wtf is going on here?! :D

famenne-ardenne-2024.jpg
Obviously a French rider to attack the all-Danish (or all Norwegian) team that are for some reason disguised in a Lotto kit.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, regular Swedish people hardly even noticed when Bäckstedt won Paris-Roubaix so I wouldn't hold my breath for him being anything close to a national hero. Then again Gustav Larsson who won a silver in the ITT in Beijing became known as Silver-Gustav in the mainstream sports media at least.
What about "Gotland" Löfqvist who was the next big thing? Burnt out if I remember correctly. Swedish cycling in the Swedish media is all about Jenny Rissved and that's about it.

Last edited:
Rutland Melton classic today, a rare 1.2 international race in the UK.
A mini Strade/ Roubaix type course.
Israel development team with Joe Blackmore are probably favourites, although home team Saint Pirran will be strong.
Current world u23 mountain bike champion Charlie Aldridge is also on the startlist.

Nope.

Turkey (which is before I'll be heading to my parents)
Bretagne
Romandie
Fammene
Vuelta

I might get memed for being bad with numbers, but even I know that's not 11.

(tomorrow is only 2 races.)

I believe there are also streams for Gila, Elsy Jacobs, the Kirschblütenrennen in Wels, and apparently also for the junior races in Italy and Czechia, as well as for the Spanish Memorial Chele Campos.

There are also some Danish races you'll be able to watch from the roadside.

Last edited:
I believe there are also streams for Gila, Elsy Jacobs, the Kirschblütenrennen in Wels, and apparently also for the junior races in Italy and Czechia, as well as for the Spanish Memorial Chele Campos.

There are also some Danish races you'll be able to watch from the roadside.

Just checked the overview on Feltet.dk, and since they include Bretagne even though it's only on YouTube, I can't imagine they'd miss other races with similar streaming options.

And I don't think there are any races in Århus.

Just checked the overview on Feltet.dk, and since they include Bretagne even though it's only on YouTube, I can't imagine they'd miss other races with similar streaming options.

And I don't think there are any races in Århus.

Tiz has a list with streams for all of them, apart from Gila, which is streamed on Instagram, apparently.

Bakkeløbet in Hørning isn't that far from Århus.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What about "Gotland" Löfqvist who was the next big thing? Burnt out if I remember correctly. Swedish cycling in the Swedish media is all about Jenny Rissved and that's about it.
He was completely unknown pretty much. Only mention of him ever was likely just when reporting on the Tour and mentioning the position of the few Swedes that were there.

The only cycling thing that gets attention in Sweden is the Olympics and a few times when the Worlds was shown on the main national TV channels rather than merely on Eurosport.