• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2021

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okay, did anybody watch the Kampioenschap in Vlaanderen? RedheadDane? I mean, what happened there? If anybody has seen it, can they please give a short account? (Maybe best in a spoiler-version.)

I can't really tell you more than what I already said: DQ just... weren't there. And I only just (about) watched the winner get found, then I went straight to Slovakia. Or, my viewing did, I stayed in Denmark.

I can't really tell you more than what I already said: DQ just... weren't there. And I only just (about) watched the winner get found, then I went straight to Slovakia. Or, my viewing did, I stayed in Denmark.

I was also surprised Philipsen won ahead of Groenewegen, I would have expected it the other way around. So I was wondering whether it was more a question of speed or positioning.

But I guess if I really want to know I will have to get over myself and watch it. :)

Steimle's win is nice for him, if I remember correctly he was already allowed to get a good result for himself in one of the other races (Denmark?) but then had to work for Evenepoel after he lost time in a corner or something... and was spent afterwards, anyway, I guess this is now some payback of the team to him (and also it's better tactically for the team now).
For Sagan the way the stage went sucks a bit of course.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thinking about it, I suppose it's maybe a good thing Jakobsen didn't win...

DQ could have looked a bit greedy otherwise!

Haha. That was probably the one the sponsors wanted them to win most.

I just watched the Steimle win and that was very canny riding. He totally avoided all the white lines at the final bend (whose bright idea was that?) whereas it looked like Sagan had to make a slight adjustment thereby decreasing his speed out of the corner.

He can say that but Steimle took it to perfection avoiding the white lines and won.
He's always super honest on social media, I think he's telling the truth. Steimle did kill it but he took the wet corner harder than Sagan and won. And it makes way too much sense for Sagan to be careful right now. I think in between the words he's saying he's not willing to risk things in this race, especially just coming back from knee surgery that ended his TdF.

Today the 18th edition of Memorial Marco Pantani will take place near the Adriatic coast in Emilia-Romagna. And yes, RhD, it's a shame that Pantani himself won't be riding it. Marko Padun and former Baby Giro winner Marco Manzano will be present though along with a few other Marcos and Stefano Pirazzi. The 2014 winner Sonny Colbrelli looks like the hot favourite here, but he and Bahrain have already been outsmarted twice this week, so they'll be hoping that third time's the charm.

There's unfortunately no live broadcast of the race; only highlights on RAI in the evening. There will however be live updates on https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/live/2021/09/18/1631893789/memorial-pantani-diretta-live-cesenatico and on http://www.gsemilia.it/a47_live.html.
The race is scheduled to finish before 16:00 (CEST)

E_ja-9UXsAI78MZ

Last edited:
Today the 18th edition of Memorial Marco Pantani will take place near the Adriatic coast in Emilia-Romagna. And yes, RhD, it's a shame that Pantani himself won't be riding it. Marko Padun and former Baby Giro winner Marco Manzano will be present though along with a few other Marcos and Stefano Pirazzi. The 2014 winner Sonny Colbrelli looks like the hot favourite here, but he and Bahrain have already been outsmarted twice this week, so they'll be hoping that third time's the charm.

There's unfortunately no live broadcast of the race; only highlights on RAI in the evening. There will however be live updates on https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/live/2021/09/18/1631893789/memorial-pantani-diretta-live-cesenatico and on http://www.gsemilia.it/a47_live.html.
The race is scheduled to finish before 16:00 (CEST)

E_ja-9UXsAI78MZ

Less than 30 km remain of the race, and 26 riders (including at least most of the biggest favourites) are in the leading group. The peloton is a minute behind.

Aranburu, Kudus, Battistella, Pernsteiner, Colbrelli, Williams, Geoghegan Hart, Rubio, Villella, Ulissi, Trentin, Ravanelli, Mattia Bais, Gabburo, Zana, Albanese, Davide Bais, Christian, Gotzon Martín, Angulo, Burgaudeau, Doubey, Ferron, Sbaragli and Piccolo are in the front group.

De Marchi had a puncture and lost contact. They are on the curcuit in Cesenatico, and the peloton is now almost two minutes behind.

TRENDING THREADS