• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Male Cyclist of the year (2014)?

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Male Cyclist of the year (2014)?

• S. Gerrans (:o)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Netserk said:
Dauphiné is a prep race (sometimes), the others not so much...

Source for Quintana's illness in Tirenno?

Peraud and Quintana as the 2nd and 3rd strongest are better than Peraud and Pinot as 2nd and 3rd strongest. I hope you'll agree with that.

All of these 1 week stage races are prep races these days. Not a single serious GC rider peaks and goes really deep in them. Very few are prepared to take serious risks in these. Unlike the top classics and the Giro, Worlds and the Tour. Surely you understand that.

Quintana stated somewhere he had been suffering from allergies the entire spring, a condition which only corrected itself after the last rest day in the Giro, lol. Its from memory, you can discount the statement if you like.

On paper Quintana and Peraud are stronger than JCP and Pinot, but none of these peaked for TA. Only looked good on paper, not so much on the road.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Why do people call the Vuelta the weakest GT by the way? Last few years I think it's the other way around, with the Giro being the weakest GT.

Why? Simply because the field is of a much lower quality than the Vuelta. And it's not like the Giro has been so exciting to watch. The last real exciting Giro was in 2010. Or 2011 if you're a Contador fan.

Especially this year the field was great with Rodriguez (third in the Tour last year), Valverde (fourth in the Tour this year), Froome (winner of the Tour last year), Quintana (second in the Tour last year), Uran (second in the Giro this year), etc

Sure, Quintana crashed out, but Contador already took time on him on multiple occasions, even before the crash.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Why do people call the Vuelta the weakest GT by the way? Last few years I think it's the other way around, with the Giro being the weakest GT.

Why? Simply because the field is of a much lower quality than the Vuelta. And it's not like the Giro has been so exciting to watch. The last real exciting Giro was in 2010. Or 2011 if you're a Contador fan.

Especially this year the field was great with Rodriguez (third in the Tour last year), Valverde (fourth in the Tour this year), Froome (winner of the Tour last year), Quintana (second in the Tour last year), Uran (second in the Giro this year), etc

Sure, Quintana crashed out, but Contador already took time on him on multiple occasions, even before the crash.

The Vuelta has the worst mountain stages, but to my knowledge riders make the race.

The prestige of a victory should be based on the winning performance and the quality of the riders who were beaten in the process. Rather not on the predetermined reputation of a race.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
The Vuelta has the worst mountain stages, but to my knowledge riders make the race.

The prestige of a victory should be based on the winning performance and the quality of the riders who were beaten in the process. Rather not on the predetermined reputation of a race.

Yup, Fuente De still the best mountain stage I watched.

Mellow Velo said:
Still giving out your exaggerated opinion as facts?

With limited access, you have no idea where Contador's stage performance sits in the history of the sport.
Imo it was the second best IP of the year.

Why not just post what most folks would and say; "It was one of the best performances I have ever seen" ?

In this section (prr) I have always used hyperbole heavily (as do others) and I have always made very clear that I use hyperbole.

And btw I don't disagree with your opinion that Valverde may have had a better season than Contador. It depends how one looks at it. Those who value top results more will pick Contador. Those who value all results Valverde. Though I side more with Contador here I can understand the case for Valverde. Its Nibali who in my book has no claim.

The Hitch said:
And btw I don't disagree with your opinion that Valverde may have had a better season than Contador. It depends how one looks at it. Those who value top results more will pick Contador. Those who value all results Valverde. Though I side more with Contador here I can understand the case for Valverde. Its Nibali who in my book has no claim.

Agreed, Valverde I can understand, Nibali no way

The Hitch said:
In this section (prr) I have always used hyperbole heavily (as do others) and I have always made very clear that I use hyperbole.

Now that's a post I can relate to.

Well said.

The Hitch said:

Yes he has.

1. He made the Tour his main goal for this year.
2. It is on him how to do the preparation for this goal.
3. He won the race that was his main goal with huge margin. It is not his fault that his biggest competition did not finish the race. At the time of their DNF he was leader with substantial lead.
4. As a Tour winner he did not have to race for winning in the post Tour period - it is quite common in latest era.

It does not mean he is or was better than Contador in 2014. But if you asked any cyclist whether he prefer the Nibali´s palmares of 2014 or Contadors ones I am sure you will get the unanimous answer.

The thread is “the cyclist of the year” not the best cyclist of the year. In my eyes he deserves this title. To take this title from him you must win much more than Vuelta and some pre Tour races.
Last year Nibali made the main goal Giro and Vuelta. He won the Giro by destroying the field. He lost Vuelta only by seconds. And even with this win nobody would have claimed him the “best cyclist of the year”. The true is. It takes a lot to beat the Tour title nowadays. Unfortunately.

SKSemtex said:
Yes he has.

3. He won the race that was his main goal with huge margin. It is not his fault that his biggest competition did not finish the race. At the time of their DNF he was leader with substantial lead.
4. As a Tour winner he did not have to race for winning in the post Tour period - it is quite common in latest era.

It does not mean he is or was better than Contador in 2014. But if you asked any cyclist whether he prefer the Nibali´s palmares of 2014 or Contadors ones I am sure you will get the unanimous answer.

The thread is “the cyclist of the year” not the best cyclist of the year. In my eyes he deserves this title. To take this title from him you must win much more than Vuelta and some pre Tour races.
Last year Nibali made the main goal Giro and Vuelta. He won the Giro by destroying the field. He lost Vuelta only by seconds. And even with this win nobody would have claimed him the “best cyclist of the year”. The true is. It takes a lot to beat the Tour title nowadays. Unfortunately.

So the Tour winner is always the rider of the year. Because Nibali did **** all outside of July.

Following the common criteria and after having meditated about it for quite some time, my list goes something like this. This is the less biased I could get. (not including CX)

Tom Van Asbroeck
Tom Dumoulin
Fabian Cancellara
Greg Van Avermaet
Cadel Evans
Niki Terpstra
Bradley Wiggins
Jure Kocjan
Kiel Reijnen

Male Domestiques of the Year. I'm obviously missing a lot.

Nelson Oliveira
Arnold Jeannesson
Marcel Wyss

SKSemtex said:
Yes he has.

The last time Nibali made the tdf his target he won tirreno podiumed msr and almost won liege

LaFlorecita said:
Lol unbelievable, Alberto is the one who beat lesser competition according to damian13ster? What the hell?

Of course. Peraud in his targe race > Peraud in prep race, and he was second strongest rider in both. Also look at the time gaps.....
Tour had stronger competition than Pais Vasco and TA.
Vuelta had good names, but for most riders it was 2nd GC, out of 3 favorites 2 came in injured and none of us know who had better preparation, and third one wasnt able to stay on the bike being the only one on the dry road with good quality surface.

So yeah, although Vuelta looked good on paper, the quality was worse than Tour. Just look at how Valverde did in both of them.... (and yes, I know he usually does better in Vuelta but thats because more people actually target the Tour).

Tour, rest of the top 5

Peraud
Pinot
Valverde
Van Garderen

Vuelta:

Froome
Valverde
Purito
Aru

Froome >> Peraud
Valverde = Valverde
Purito > Pinot
Aru > Van Garderen

You know why the gap to Nibali got so big, they didn't even bother chasing him anymore. On Hautacam, Nibali was going all guns blazing while Jeanneson was still pulling the group

Funny the debate is pretty much Nibali vs. Contador, yet the poll shows Valverde a distant second. The poll is way too biased, I wonder if they're bots voting? :rolleyes:

Good to see really strong arguments, like this below, supporting the cause of Nibali as a clear Cyclist of the Year.

SKSemtex said:
Yes he has.

Red Rick said:
Tour, rest of the top 5

Peraud
Pinot
Valverde
Van Garderen

Vuelta:

Froome
Valverde
Purito
Aru

Froome >> Peraud
Valverde = Valverde
Purito > Pinot
Aru > Van Garderen

You know why the gap to Nibali got so big, they didn't even bother chasing him anymore. On Hautacam, Nibali was going all guns blazing while Jeanneson was still pulling the group

Going to correct this:
Injured Froome = Peraud in the best shape of his career
Tired Valverde < Farily fresh Valverde
Pretty much 3rd GT Purito < Pinot targeting this race
2nd GT 24yo Aru < Van Garderen in his target race

You seriously can't just list names and don't take circumstances into consideration. Plus,
the gap of Contador to Valverde: 1:50
the gap of Nibali to Valverde: 9:40

damian13ster said:
Going to correct this:
Injured Froome = Peraud in the best shape of his career
Tired Valverde < Farily fresh Valverde
Pretty much 3rd GT Purito < Pinot targeting this race
2nd GT 24yo Aru < Van Garderen in his target race

You seriously can't just list names and don't take circumstances into consideration. Plus,
the gap of Contador to Valverde: 1:50
the gap of Nibali to Valverde: 9:40

this is unbelievable :D:D I'm not even gonna argue anymore