• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Masters Doping

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
doping in the masters is getting out of control. everyone know who is doing it, yet nothing is done about it. usacycling needs to wake up and smell the coffee and start testing these losers at the local level who are in the midst of a mid life crisis. when did bike riders start looking like body builders, and masters racers at that?:confused: they used to be known as masters fatties and looked like a sausage stuffed in their skinsuits.:eek:

it's pathetic when people have to define their life by how good they do in a bike race, especially at a masters age. really who the hell cares? these people are a joke and are socially *** and it is the equivalent of chicks getting botox and lip injections.

what's everyone else think? do you have some masters juicers where you live?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
firestorm said:
doping in the masters is getting out of control. everyone know who is doing it, yet nothing is done about it. usacycling needs to wake up and smell the coffee and start testing these losers at the local level who are in the midst of a mid life crisis. when did bike riders start looking like body builders, and masters racers at that?:confused: they used to be known as masters fatties and looked like a sausage stuffed in their skinsuits.:eek:

it's pathetic when people have to define their life by how good they do in a bike race, especially at a masters age. really who the hell cares? these people are a joke and are socially *** and it is the equivalent of chicks getting botox and lip injections.

Maybe so. But I know all my close masters friends are clean, fast, ripped, train hard, have coaches, powermeters, eat right, live the life to the fullest and look amazing. If your a fat masters racer these days, you might as well forget results as masters racing is serious business to myself and many others. Are you a masters racer?. fat? doper?.or are you a masters racer getting beat every weekend and looking for excuses?

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
LOOKFOOL said:
Maybe so. But I know all my close masters friends are clean, fast, ripped, train hard, have coaches, powermeters, eat right, live the life to the fullest and look amazing. If your a fat masters racer these days, you might as well forget results as masters racing is serious business to myself and many others. Are you a masters racer?. fat? doper?.or are you a masters racer getting beat every weekend and looking for excuses?

haha. a nice riposte! Theres some fit looking masters around, maybe <firestorm> thinks theyre shooting juice cos they ride expensive equipment nowdays and wear protour kit whereas before they dressed like fausto coppi :D

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
doping in the masters is getting out of control. everyone know who is doing it, yet nothing is done about it. usacycling needs to wake up and smell the coffee and start testing these losers at the local level who are in the midst of a mid life crisis. when did bike riders start looking like body builders, and masters racers at that? they used to be known as masters fatties and looked like a sausage stuffed in their skinsuits.

So you have no other evidence except this? Makes you sound like a whiny loser. Maybe you're not, but to say they are doping because they're big is just ignorant. Not saying that masters are clean.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Masters are only required to obtain a retrospective TUE if they are tested.

There is simply not enough money to test everyone so only world age group record breaking rides are tested at national level in order that it can be recorded.

WADA are not alowed to test at club level unless the club invite them and pay for testing. they are only alowed to test at National age group races.

What is the point 65-70 yo masters need meds that are banned and the anti doping medical people cant cope with demand for thousands of TUE's

Just worry about the pro cycling and let grandad do his thing. If he is stupid enough to take drugs to improve his form at that age he has rocks in his head.

How much dose he win $10-$20 for a win and $5 for a place. maybe a trophy made out of old recycled coffins.

All the old boys need to do is sit on and sprint.

Most Masters are long time club members who have put in 30 years of helping run races for you young guys to ride. they are out on corners and time keeping every weekend.
I sugest you talk nice to a few of them and you may learn something usefull.
and remember everyone grows old it may happen to you one day the undertaker wins in the end .

May 14, 2010
Visit site
firestorm said:
doping in the masters is getting out of control. :confused: they used to be known as masters fatties and looked like a sausage stuffed in their skinsuits.:eek:

If that's true then it certainly helps explain why some might want to dope.

brianf7 said:
Just worry about the pro cycling and let grandad do his thing.

LOL!

How much dose he win $10-$20 for a win and $5 for a place. maybe a trophy made out of old recycled coffins.

LOL! X2

All the old boys need to do is sit on and sprint.

I sugest you talk nice to a few of them and you may learn something usefull.
and remember everyone grows old it may happen to you one day the undertaker wins in the end.

Now there's some sage advice right there.

I read an interview with some dope provider recently - it may have been a doctor here in California - or come to think of it, it might have been Joe Papp, in which case he might want to chime in; in any case, he said that to his surprise, most of his customers were masters.

This makes sense to me. Think about it. You've worked hard at some career all your life and you have limited time. You are super serious about being competitive and, in your heart of hearts you know your heroes in the sport do it and always have. You have the money and know the doctor. You suspect some of your competitors are doing it. You maybe try something and love the sudden improvement. It feels like the playing field is leveled, or maybe even tilted a little in your favor. I'm just sayin.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
firestorm said:

I have to agree with you, it is a little sad that men of that age feel the need to revisit their 'young bull' days instead of seeing their sport with a little more perspective. Of course, modern western democracies are very competitve places and it's inevitable such behaviour finds its way into recreational pursuits.

A lot of older men supplement with hormone replacement as well as a health issue. Testosterone depletion is very common and probably under-diagnosed. This isn't a reason to abuse it for personal or psychological gain, however.

It's a fight everyone is destined to lose. We get old. Vanity just makes the reconciliation with aging harder, and much sadder to observe.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
A lot of older men supplement with hormone replacement as well as a health issue. Testosterone depletion is very common and probably under-diagnosed. This isn't a reason to abuse it for personal or psychological gain, however.

True. But given the immediate accessibility to the hormone boost, the temptation must be great for some.

It's a fight everyone is destined to lose. We get old. Vanity just makes the reconciliation with aging harder, and much sadder to observe.

Another salient point. Hairplugs, anyone?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
I have to agree with you, it is a little sad that men of that age feel the need to revisit their 'young bull' days instead of seeing their sport with a little more perspective. Of course, modern western democracies are very competitve places and it's inevitable such behaviour finds its way into recreational pursuits.

I had mentioned earlier that many Master's friends have had their doctors suggest hormone therapy because of their age. Just another oppportunity to write a prescription or a justification to cheat? I couldn't say but the societal attempts at perfection and "rejuvenation" for vanity's sake has something to do with all of this.
Having played many different sports, my concept of cheating is fairly clear to me. What I see with many riders is that their significant investment in time, money, coaches, etc; provides them with an escape from their work image. Many of them were not involved successfully in other sports and want to excel. Maybe the lines aren't as clear for many of them.
That there are some knowingly cheating is a problem.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
firestorm said:

I think you summed it up with "who the hell cares?"
Its masters racing for god sakes. At this point in your life, if you really feel the need to dope to prove something, well, you have bigger issues to deal with than winning a masters race.
Besides, LA is technically a "masters racer" at 38, er, well, never mind eh?:eek:

Masters Racing-where regular ham-and-eggers get fitter, leaner and faster at an age where the exact opposite is supposed to happen.

I don't give a rat's behind about nutrition, hard work and coaching. To think those are the reasons why these racers are so fast and fit is simply ignorant.

Many of those guys go to anti-aging clinics and are literally marinating in testosterone and HgH.

Calling anyone a whiner for stating what is obvious in the master's field is the intellectual equivalent of telling someone to STFU on the internet.

Come up with something better than that.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Many masters racers are ex-pros with years and years of hard miles in their legs. Another percentage have lots of time to train, and are very dedicated. I think it's funny to comment that masters racers should be fat and slow "because that is what is supposed to happen." Bu11sh1t.

There have been lots of examples of 40+ athletes competing at the highest levels of their chosen sports, and winning. They have won Olympic medals and championships.

Dave Weins (43) beat Armstrong and Landis at Leadville. Eamonn Coghlan, at over 40 years, beat the 4 minute mile. Dave Scott - second at Iron Man. Kent Bostick qualified for the 1996 Olympics (4000m pursuit) at 42, and again qualified for the games in 2000, at age 46. Dara Torres.... etc.

Is there doping? Maybe a bit. But there is also a whole lot of hard work, and very well developed mental toughness. When I started racing and couldn't hang (still sometimes can't) I thought for sure lots must be doping. But then I started training more, and smarter, and I might actually be competitive soon.

Sould there be more testing? Probably. I say they just start taking pee samples at every race - whether they test them or not. Heck, flush the sample down the toilet. Just the sight of lots of testing would be a deterrent.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
You cant get a TUE for a testosterone boost you still have to be totaly hypogonard before WADA will alow it.

Testosterone in the form that they use for replacement is very low dose and if anything it slows you down. it is a long acting testosterone.
it will help recovery but nothing for performance & speed.

You need a big shot to do any good then side effects take over such as breathing difficultys.

I am looking at a way to get my wifes food mixer to fit in the seat tube on my bike so I can get it to work on the BB then I will take off.
Much better than doping. But I will have to returne it spotless clean.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
_Zipp0_ said:
Sould there be more testing? Probably. I say they just start taking pee samples at every race - whether they test them or not. Heck, flush the sample down the toilet. Just the sight of lots of testing would be a deterrent.

Doping at masters level matters because many masters like to set themselves up as mentors to young riders. Make testing cheaper - by not testing for every substance every time. Currently it is what? - about US$400 for a test - so clubs and organizers, even if they wanted to, can't afford it. But it could be much cheaper, and much more regular. Currently the chance of being tested in a regular weekend masters event, at least where I live, is effectively aero.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Masters Racing-where regular ham-and-eggers get fitter, leaner and faster at an age where the exact opposite is supposed to happen.

I don't give a rat's behind about nutrition, hard work and coaching. To think those are the reasons why these racers are so fast and fit is simply ignorant.

Many of those guys go to anti-aging clinics and are literally marinating in testosterone and HgH.

Calling anyone a whiner for stating what is obvious in the master's field is the intellectual equivalent of telling someone to STFU on the internet.

Come up with something better than that.

What?.. Have you raced in a 35+ field? or a 40+ field for that matter young man? Anti-aging?..Many of "those guys?"..So training hard, coaching, blah blah blah won't make you fast because at 40/50 your supposed to get slower and hard work won't payoff? Hey jerk, marinating in test and HGH won't make you faster, your ignorance and stupidity are showing..Grow up someday and learn what bike racing is all about before spewing BS about masters racers..:cool:

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I have raced plenty of master's fields. I would agree with both sides of the argument. Without a doubt, there are some superbly trained masters racers out there, but if you believe there are no dopers in the field you are fooling yourself.

slowoldman said:
I have raced plenty of master's fields. I would agree with both sides of the argument. Without a doubt, there are some superbly trained masters racers out there, but if you believe there are no dopers in the field you are fooling yourself.

+ about 9000!

Hey, I would love to find dope that would help me lose the 5 lbs I've gained since hitting 40. :eek:

Masters Doping?, how inane! Yet I' am sure it's possible and likely given how insecure people can get.
but...
with all due respect where I live and ride a lot of Masters ARE in incredible shape AND ride very, very FAST and CLEAN. Then again some are ex-pros some were even world class. All have been riding for a long, long time, do so for fun, fitness and relaxation and can drop most 20-30 year olds in a heartbeat.:eek:

xmoonx said:
Masters Doping?, how inane! Yet I' am sure it's possible and likely given how insecure people can get.
but...
with all due respect where I live and ride a lot of Masters ARE in incredible shape AND ride very, very FAST and CLEAN. Then again some are ex-pros some were even world class. All have been riding for a long, long time, do so for fun, fitness and relaxation and can drop most 20-30 year olds in a heartbeat.:eek:

you all are very naive...........

there were masters back in the day beating doped pros........you think they were clean? I know for a fact they weren't.........

Mach Schnell said:
Besides, LA is technically a "masters racer" at 38, er, well, never mind eh?:eek:
Technically, LA could not compete at masters level - it is not permitted unless you have not held a UCI pro-licence for at least one year.

A winner of masters worlds road race was stripped of title a few years back because it emerged they had a pro licence with 12 months of competing.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
xmoonx said:
but...

There are a few who can do this but what age do we realy start masters 30-50 -or 60.
Masters cycling is generaly for comerardie they race then have coffee and re run the race around the table.

Most ride in D or C grade at club level so why take whoopy beans to be put up to a harder grade.

Remember most over 60 riders are at home all day with nothing to do but ride so when you guys are at work slaving away these guys are either training or sleeping it off.

TRENDING THREADS