• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Master's Riders - Where's are the sanctions?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BotanyBay said:
I think all of our guys finished top-15. Three of them top-10.

You decide.

It's often forgotten that the Russians, the East Germans and the Poles who virtually dominated amateur cycling at the time, were not present at the Games.

You decide.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
fasthill said:
It's often forgotten that the Russians, the East Germans and the Poles who virtually dominated amateur cycling at the time, were not present at the Games.

You decide.

Their coaches were. They worked for the US team.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
fasthill said:
Apart from Eddy Borysewicz, who else? Even Eddy, at the time, wasn't really 'their' coach anymore, he moved to the US.

I can't remember their names, let alone spell them. He had some "associates" working with him that trailed him to Montgomery Subaru. They may not have been offical coaches but were involved after the Olympics. And, of course, Eddy wasn't the Polish coach but his methods were learned there and was key to the '84 Olympic success.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
PotentialPro said:
Do you mean Juri Manus?

Nope, some other guys that worked as private coaches with him. Jiri Mainus had his own issues within USACycling including excessive pressure to get wins at any cost.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Someone PM'd me anonymously (as if a screen name isn't anonymous enough) to say that only the track squad was given the blood-boosting ultimatum. This is simply untrue. USA Cycling did indeed investigate, but it was investigating itself. Do the math here. There is no way that EB would have subjected only the track riders to this program. It was planned (poorly) in advance and not everyone was included. But every member of the team was indeed given the talk. Grewal's answer was FU (not because of the cheating, but because he didn't trust their methods). Doug? We know he didn't get to ride (but should have) Phinney was probably standing next to EB when he said it (Mon Capitan!). Thurlow took 5th or 6th.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Someone PM'd me anonymously (as if a screen name isn't anonymous enough) to say that only the track squad was given the blood-boosting ultimatum. This is simply untrue. USA Cycling did indeed investigate, but it was investigating itself. Do the math here. There is no way that EB would have subjected only the track riders to this program. It was planned (poorly) in advance and not everyone was included. But every member of the team was indeed given the talk. Grewal's answer was FU (not because of the cheating, but because he didn't trust their methods). Doug? We know he didn't get to ride (but should have) Phinney was probably standing next to EB when he said it (Mon Capitan!). Thurlow took 5th or 6th.

I think there is a reason one of the most talented American riders, Rebecca Twigg, gave up the sport. She was known for being extremely intelligent and was coached under that program. She also married Mark, the *** track sprinter and fortunately divorced him later. She could have made a great promotional career with her win portfolio and her good looks.

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
T Rogers also placed well in the Peace Race the year before the Olympics. He was regarded as one of the best amateurs in the world at the time even when you take into acount the eastern bloc riders. I'm not a fan boy I'm just saying his results as a master aren't surprising at all considering his past and the fact that he's neve stopped racing. Now some of the other guy that just took up the sport over the last few years and looked like a seasoned Euro pro and are ubber type A personalities. I would suspect they migh be hitting the "rejuvenation center" a few times a month.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
hwyrngr said:
T Rogers also placed well in the Peace Race the year before the Olympics. He was regarded as one of the best amateurs in the world at the time even when you take into acount the eastern bloc riders. I'm not a fan boy I'm just saying his results as a master aren't surprising at all considering his past and the fact that he's neve stopped racing. Now some of the other guy that just took up the sport over the last few years and looked like a seasoned Euro pro and are ubber type A personalities. I would suspect they migh be hitting the "rejuvenation center" a few times a month.

Thurlow's one of the real mutants that set a standard without enhancements. Always has been.

TRENDING THREADS