• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Mathieu Van der Poel

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MartinGT said:
the delgados said:
Ripper said:
I think this will just get more and more entertaining.

And while he is an entertaining rider to watch, he seems to elicit a strong fanboy response. Which itself will also be entertaining.
Agreed. I am surprised by the amount of commenters who give him the benefit of the doubt. It really is mind boggling, especially when you consider the history of doping in cycling and the absolute dominance shown by MVDP. Good lord, man. This guy has to be on some next level schit.
I guess its fun to pretend.
Your man, CK, Stephens etc. They all have mortgages etc to pay. They don't want to ostracise themselves. Him and Alaphillipe are certainly smashing it at the moment.

But, then you have to look at the pedigree of stock that MVDP has come from and compare it to someone like the Dawg.
Commenters (us) not commentators (useless morons)
 
wansteadimp said:
MartinGT said:
the delgados said:
Ripper said:
I think this will just get more and more entertaining.

And while he is an entertaining rider to watch, he seems to elicit a strong fanboy response. Which itself will also be entertaining.
Agreed. I am surprised by the amount of commenters who give him the benefit of the doubt. It really is mind boggling, especially when you consider the history of doping in cycling and the absolute dominance shown by MVDP. Good lord, man. This guy has to be on some next level schit.
I guess its fun to pretend.
Your man, CK, Stephens etc. They all have mortgages etc to pay. They don't want to ostracise themselves. Him and Alaphillipe are certainly smashing it at the moment.

But, then you have to look at the pedigree of stock that MVDP has come from and compare it to someone like the Dawg.
Commenters (us) not commentators (useless morons)
Hey, hey! No bashing my man CK!
Thank you for pointing out the difference; but for the love of everything holy, leave my man out of this.
Carry on.
 
Well, i have to agree his efforts in RVV do seem "outlandish". But, unlike Van Aert in PR (who paid the price for his chase in the final 15k yet until then looked like the strongest rider in the race), van der Poel did have actual help from his team in the chase, and the tempo in the front group wasn't "full gas" the entire time.

However, RVV was 275k long. So it seems almost too good to be true. Usually any unneeded waste of energy in such a race will cost you.

On the other hand, like i stated earlier, he's been like this since he was a kid. Was he doping age 12 and up? When exactly would he have started? He wins 32 CX races a year, is now winning high profile RR as well. He rides MTB as well. There won't be many riders that get tested as much as him.

If there is something there, there is no way Adrie isn't in on it. As a father, i don't know how you could do that (being a former rider and doper), knowing that at some point in the future, chances are it will come to light, and that you have put your child in an impossible position. And again, wouldn't you race in a less conspicuous manner?

I don't know. I'm still onboard with him being clean. On the other hand, i've been following the sport too long to be surprised anymore.
 
Re:

ebandit said:
alien life confirmed on earth................
That was a pretty hilarious sprint. Drag the group along at speed, open up from afar without any leadout, gap everyone. When everyone starts saying some form of "that was unbelievable" I tend to agree. It's a bit too bad.
 
Re: Re:

Ripper said:
ebandit said:
alien life confirmed on earth................
That was a pretty hilarious sprint. Drag the group along at speed, open up from afar without any leadout, gap everyone. When everyone starts saying some form of "that was unbelievable" I tend to agree. It's a bit too bad.
All after putting in an attack with 50km to go. I've seen enough now from him to come to a solid conclusion about his performances. This guy is on a completely different, extra terrestrial level compared to everyone else.
 
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
 
Re:

Red Rick said:
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
And so on and so forth and more of the same.
I submit that someone who thinks a neo-pro who wins a 250 km race against the best in the world are living in denial. Like a ten-year old kid who refuses to believe his hero cheated.
What we saw today is definitely not normal.
No doubt MVDP agrees. See him slap his helmet after crossing the line? It's like, Holy schit! This stuff really works!
Waiter! Give me some more, please.
 
Re:

Red Rick said:
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
:D

In all honesty though, can someone be so much better than everyone else in a worldwide sport? I mean I genuinely cannot remember a more dominant performance in a one day race and so often in the past did I already think "no way that dude is not doping" despite the performances being less unreal.
 
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
:D

In all honesty though, can someone be so much better than everyone else in a worldwide sport? I mean I genuinely cannot remember a more dominant performance in a one day race and so often in the past did I already think "no way that dude is not doping" despite the performances being less unreal.
I think it's possible, yes. But then there usually are some physical traits (abnormalities) to go along with that. For instance, Michael Phelps had freakishly long arms...
 
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
:D

In all honesty though, can someone be so much better than everyone else in a worldwide sport? I mean I genuinely cannot remember a more dominant performance in a one day race and so often in the past did I already think "no way that dude is not doping" despite the performances being less unreal.
I think it's possible, yes. But then there usually are some physical traits (abnormalities) to go along with that. For instance, Michael Phelps had freakishly long arms...
And Usain Bolt has freakishly long legs; and the Australian swimmer Thorpe has fin-like feet; and Lance invented cadence; and most recently, the guy formerly from GCN claimed that human physiology has evolved since the Armstrong era.
Uh huh.
 
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
:D

In all honesty though, can someone be so much better than everyone else in a worldwide sport? I mean I genuinely cannot remember a more dominant performance in a one day race and so often in the past did I already think "no way that dude is not doping" despite the performances being less unreal.
I think it's possible, yes. But then there usually are some physical traits (abnormalities) to go along with that. For instance, Michael Phelps had freakishly long arms...
And Usain Bolt has freakishly long legs; and the Australian swimmer Thorpe has fin-like feet; and Lance invented cadence; and most recently, the guy formerly from GCN claimed that human physiology has evolved since the Armstrong era.
Uh huh.
What :eek: :D :eek:
 
@Red Rick
I think the guy's name is Matt Stephens, but I could be wrong; he used to work for GCN. Anyway, check out a video posted on Youtube where he goes on a ride/interview with Alex Dowsett (sp?) from Katusha. They're just shootin' the stool when at one point the guy mentions the enormous gains made by modern technology that does not include next level doping. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he mentions gains in physiology.
 
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
:D

In all honesty though, can someone be so much better than everyone else in a worldwide sport? I mean I genuinely cannot remember a more dominant performance in a one day race and so often in the past did I already think "no way that dude is not doping" despite the performances being less unreal.
Statistically very unlikely.

Though I do really think this performance gets a little too much credit cause Fuglsang and Alaphilippe were *** around so much.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
:D

In all honesty though, can someone be so much better than everyone else in a worldwide sport? I mean I genuinely cannot remember a more dominant performance in a one day race and so often in the past did I already think "no way that dude is not doping" despite the performances being less unreal.
Statistically very unlikely.

Though I do really think this performance gets a little too much credit cause Fuglsang and Alaphilippe were **** around so much.
Just this. The MVDP show for Amstel Gold was brow-raising, but it pales in comparison with truly outlandish/alien shows we've seen in the recent past -- for instance, Dawg's stage 19 at the 2018 Giro.
 
Re: Re:

JosephK said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Hot take:

He won't get busted
The Dutch won't entertain the idea that it might look suspicious
The Dutch will all be surprised pikachu when some 4th rate Austrian gets busted for epo and gasp at how that can happen in a clean sport like cycling
:D

In all honesty though, can someone be so much better than everyone else in a worldwide sport? I mean I genuinely cannot remember a more dominant performance in a one day race and so often in the past did I already think "no way that dude is not doping" despite the performances being less unreal.
Statistically very unlikely.

Though I do really think this performance gets a little too much credit cause Fuglsang and Alaphilippe were **** around so much.
Just this. The MVDP show for
Amstel Gold was brow-raising, but it pales in comparison with truly outlandish/alien shows we've seen in the recent past -- for instance, Dawg's stage 19 at the 2018 Giro.
The thing is, if they had not be messing about, MvdP would still have unleashed that ridiculous sprint. He was the main person pulling for many km, he was on the front drilling it, and then rode everyone off his wheel and made it look like the rest of the riders were Cat 3s. If they had not messed about he would have at minimum still had a ridiculous 3rd. And who knows, he may have still caught them.

BTW, some of the postings in the RR section are getting a little silly. Basically, folks are going nuts and think he can win anything and everything. The thing with that is, if true, that's actually not a good sign.
 
There are people saying VdP can win all 5 monuments, but in reality, Lombardia and probably Liege as well would be a bridge too far for him. At least I hope so, for the state of the sport. If VdP starts climbing like his grandfather something truly stinks.
 
Jan 11, 2018
130
0
0
I've watched very little cyclo-cross - obviously van der Poel is exceptionally good at it, but how much of that particular ability should we expect to translate to the road? For a clearly elite athlete, in particular one with an impeccable family cycling pedigree, how much specific road training and racing should be required before that individual can be hanging with and even beating the likes the Alaphilippe and Kwiatkowski?

Looking purely at his Amstel performance, it was certainly impressive, but there are some extenuating factors. Had Ala and Fuglsang not screwed up he would never have won it, he didn't waste any energy until the last 10k's apart from that one short attack with around 40-odd to go, and, while Simon Clarke is a really solid rider, he's hardly elite and he came 2nd. No question van der Poel's last 3k's and his sprint were remarkable, as his whole spring has been, but I'm not quite convinced that his performances are unbelievable just yet.

On the comment on his future GC ability, well why not, should he ever choose to head down that path? He's naturally stick-thin and tall-ish, not unlike dare I say it Froome or perhaps more relevantly his fellow Dutchman Dumoulin, and obviously has a big engine and Poulidor for a grandfather. I'd find it more believable (relatively) that some others, the Dawg included.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts