• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mathieu Van der Poel

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Strange this thread went quiet when MVdP was beaten by Kasper Asgreen. New thread for Asgreen?
he was still the second strongest guy on the day, thats hardly absolving him of anything other than dip in his seemingly everlasting fitness peak

you are not as naive as to think just the winner is doping and beating all the honest, pain y agua guys

just wait untill you hear about rather unimpressive TT by pogacar in basque country, uhmm just when i was about to be 100% sure about him he convinced me by not performing

he was still the second strongest guy on the day, thats hardly absolving him of anything other than dip in his seemingly everlasting fitness peak

you are not as naive as to think just the winner is doping and beating all the honest, pain y agua guys

just wait untill you hear about rather unimpressive TT by pogacar in basque country, uhmm just when i was about to be 100% sure about him he convinced me by not performing
Of course. But the thread went quiet. That is my point. If I hadn't posted the thread would still be quiet. Judging by today's result you were premature on marking down Pogacar's form., you also seem to not aware of the concept of peaking for major races.

Strange this thread went quiet when MVdP was beaten by Kasper Asgreen. New thread for Asgreen?

You have an interesting point. Asgreen's win got me to thinking that maybe the sport is clean after all. I mean, if this Asgreen guy can beat MVDP, anyone can!
Few people are aware of Asgreen's prowess, so he's gotta be clean, right? I mean, that's what we assume.
I vote against starting an Asgreen thread. It's way too early to ask questions.

This gets a bump as well.

Obviously not as eyebrow raising and ludicrous as TP. However, sorry, given vdP's obvious strengths (time trialling not being one of them) and reported utter lack of practice in time trials on a time trial bike, you don't get a pass with the display put on today.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Luthor
I still don't get why most cycling fans find performances like Mathieu's performance today normal. He's never been a bad time trialer but never Kung-level, and it's said that he (supposedly, might just be a lie) never trains on a time trial bike. Nobody seems to have problems with his dad being a convicted doper either.
Interesting isn't it? Partly because people get too tripped up in their favorite riders, he's a charismatic guy, and a fun racer to watch, folks just don't seem to get as upset and the excuse making happens. Bit with the capacities and aptitudes vdP has demonstrated time and time again, throwing in such a fantastic time trial is totally abnormal

I still don't get why most cycling fans find performances like Mathieu's performance today normal. He's never been a bad time trialer but never Kung-level, and it's said that he (supposedly, might just be a lie) never trains on a time trial bike. Nobody seems to have problems with his dad being a convicted doper either.
But remember. It's extremely important to get guys like Vinokourov out of the sport.

• Haha
Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
How good would VDP be were he to actually devote more training time for TT!
Well, since he always was better than WvA in cross (although a bit different as well), WvA's last TdF gives you an indication. But actually I think WvA can reach higher climbing levels than MvdP (again - the "type" argument). But I see few arguments why MvdP would not be an even greater road cyclist than WvA (incl. sprints, classics and ITTs).

People are living in a dream land. They’re already complaining about the “conspiracy theories” about some of the performances today on the main forum. I just accept the obvious and enjoy the race.

Reactions: Red Rick
I don't dislike him anymore, but his performances during this Tour when he said he had prepared on this mountain bike... and adjusted his position in the night before... one wonders why others take the time with the wind tunnel and the many hours of special training and everything, when van der Poel can just climb on his tt bike and beat Asgreen and only lose 11 seconds to Küng...
What I don't really get is why he wasn't up there with Ala on the first stage. Did he just have a bad day?

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
I don't dislike him anymore, but his performances during this Tour when he said he had prepared on this mountain bike... and adjusted his position in the night before... one wonders why others take the time with the wind tunnel and the many hours of special training and everything, when van der Poel can just climb on his tt bike and beat Asgreen and only lose 11 seconds to Küng...
What I don't really get is why he wasn't up there with Ala on the first stage. Did he just have a bad day?
Too long an effort?

Bad positioning for the most part.

TRENDING THREADS