• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Matteo Jorgenson has now outclassed his peers from the Chambery-system

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Before the Tour Jordenson was quoted as being all in for Mas. Which is a good thing.

But some commentators/pundits were mentioning has the probable plan B for Movistar before the race.

He lost 14 minutes today. What happened?
I think he's tired and took some advice to save it for another day. He's raced alot for someone that suddenly inherited the mantle of GC leader; particularly from a team like Movistar that appears to lack cohesion. He could have selectively helped Mas but seriously; would that have put Mas on the podium?

I am confident that Jorgenson will win a stage at this TDF - He's a calculating rider who uses his efforts wisely.
That last km showed what happens when you mistime a breakaway opportunity and have to rider big gears into a steep finishing pitch. No way to spin the Woodsy way after that much spectacular work. He should get more opportunities and JV should be ecstatic for being able to add him.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I am confident that Jorgenson will win a stage at this TDF - He's a calculating rider who uses his efforts wisely.
He certainly laid it all out on Stage 12 but ultimately got undone by one extra Cofidis rider and missed pulls by the one JV rider that made it into the break. You'd think they might help next year's signing, rather than chasing him and slow-playing the break. 3rd place is respectable but he expended a ton of effort.

Reactions: jmdirt
He certainly laid it all out on Stage 12 but ultimately got undone by one extra Cofidis rider and missed pulls by the one JV rider that made it into the break. You'd think they might help next year's signing, rather than chasing him and slow-playing the break. 3rd place is respectable but he expended a ton of effort.
that would be my observation in general -- he uses too much energy in breaks. he's going to be in a tricky position in the future since his breakaway companions know he's strong and will pull for them. needs to be more cold-blooded or bluff more...

Or maybe they know that even if he (allegedly) has signed for them for next year, as things stand now, he's still a rival and thus they are under no obligation to help him.
But riding the way they did and then attempting to catch him in the sprint is downright classless. The Cofidis riders showed professional respect by not physically hindering the break while not helping it where he had an actual defensive assignment.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
“So for 2023 I made big goals. They were especially challenging because I wanted to try and flip back and forth between GC to classics and back again. I can say now that I’ve spent every penny of my salary so far this year on my own performance. Between solo camps, TT material, nutrition, massage, and motor pacing; it all made me better and compounded on itself.

“In January I spent almost the entire month alone in an altitude hotel. I bought custom TT extensions with the help and testing of (former pro cyclist) Ivan Velasco. I hired a nutritionist and have weighed and logged every gram of food I’ve eaten since December to make sure I’m always at race weight and adequately fueled.”

“So for 2023 I made big goals. They were especially challenging because I wanted to try and flip back and forth between GC to classics and back again. I can say now that I’ve spent every penny of my salary so far this year on my own performance. Between solo camps, TT material, nutrition, massage, and motor pacing; it all made me better and compounded on itself.

“In January I spent almost the entire month alone in an altitude hotel. I bought custom TT extensions with the help and testing of (former pro cyclist) Ivan Velasco. I hired a nutritionist and have weighed and logged every gram of food I’ve eaten since December to make sure I’m always at race weight and adequately fueled.”
I thought this was pretty well known already? He was a kind of one man Visma team within Movistar. It only makes sense that his performance so far this season is a little better, since he doesn't have to take care of everything himself anymore.