• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid and Verbruggen going down

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
martinvickers said:
Sniper, if you'd like to make a comment, rather than trying at being a kindergarten wit, i look forward to reading it.

Sorry, but I have to agree with the others.

The leadership of the sport pursued a court case against an athlete, in absentia - aka the best they can do to create a kangaroo court, to secure a verdict that he cannot call the organization a circus nor them clowns.

With that context, a picture of an Ostrich with its head in the sand is not kindergarten wit it is highbrow humor AND in the appropriate thread.

Dave.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
"I do not understand all the fuss. If you test a person 215 times, and he always is negative, then it´s the test that is the problem. And in any case, it's not my responsibility, "says the now 71-year-old Verbruggen in an interview with Dutch magazine De Muur.

I think the guy could need a reality check, a brain surgery or simply just get the poor guy admitted to a mental hospital.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
xrayvision said:
"I do not understand all the fuss. If you test a person 215 times, and he always is negative, then it´s the test that is the problem. And in any case, it's not my responsibility, "says the now 71-year-old Verbruggen in an interview with Dutch magazine De Muur.

I think the guy could need a reality check, a brain surgery or simply just get the poor guy admitted to a mental hospital.

Perhaps it didn't occur to him he might qualify as a redeemed soul with the Truth & Reconciliation option.
Actually no, but I bet he and Pat thought that could be an option if they could keep the money.

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
More details in the WSJ article

Wall Street Journal: New Twist in Armstrong Saga

"When Weisel offered Ochowicz a job at his investment bank, Thomas Weisel Partners, Ochowicz moved Verbruggen's account over with him, according to Ochowicz."

"There was no hanky-panky," he said, adding that Weisel didn't have "direct access" to Verbruggen's account. He declined to say how much money was in Verbruggen's account. He added: "I have no recollection of talking about Hein's accounts with Thom Weisel."

icon14.gif
"To have the head of the sport, who's responsible for enforcing anti-doping rules, in business with the owner of the team that won seven straight Tours de France in violation of those rules—it certainly stinks to high heaven, particularly now, given what's been exposed that happened under his watch," said Travis Tygart, head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

ValleyFlowers said:
Wall Street Journal: New Twist in Armstrong Saga

"When Weisel offered Ochowicz a job at his investment bank, Thomas Weisel Partners, Ochowicz moved Verbruggen's account over with him, according to Ochowicz."

"There was no hanky-panky," he said, adding that Weisel didn't have "direct access" to Verbruggen's account. He declined to say how much money was in Verbruggen's account. He added: "I have no recollection of talking about Hein's accounts with Thom Weisel."

icon14.gif
"To have the head of the sport, who's responsible for enforcing anti-doping rules, in business with the owner of the team that won seven straight Tours de France in violation of those rules—it certainly stinks to high heaven, particularly now, given what's been exposed that happened under his watch," said Travis Tygart, head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

Ochowicz is a huge POS too, I hope he gets busted as well. What a disgrace.

Verbruggen transfusing money into hedge funds run by Och and manged by Weisel.

Armstrong investing in a gold mine owned by Paul Sherwin.

No wonder no one was going to test positive.

Wiggins was right. Everyone benefited from Lance in some way or another.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Verbruggen transfusing money into hedge funds run by Och and manged by Weisel.

Armstrong investing in a gold mine owned by Paul Sherwin.

No wonder no one was going to test positive.

Wiggins was right. Everyone benefited from Lance in some way or another.

You have to wonder how many similar "arrangements" have been made across other sports with IOC Officials or Heads of Governing Bodies.

Surely this will transcend into other sports when Verbruggen finally feels the heat and the ensuing fall out from it?

B_Ugli said:
You have to wonder how many similar "arrangements" have been made across other sports with IOC Officials or Heads of Governing Bodies.

Surely this will transcend into other sports when Verbruggen finally feels the heat and the ensuing fall out from it?

Verbruggen is 71 and old. Right wing as they come. Part of "old Europe" as the Americans call it. Scary guy. He's weak as water also. But when you put an idiot like him in charge of an organization like the UCI they wreck havoc. He's not a smart guy at all. But good with money.

McQuaid is not as evil as Hein but has been covering HV's tracks for years as Hein got him the job.

McQuaid got Puerto in his first 6 months and the rest is history.

McQuaid is conflicted. Half of him wants to do a decent job. But the other half is loyal to Hein and the evils of the past. Pat also got into bed with Armstrong on the Comeback and that will see the end of him. He should have stood up then.

McQuaid will be remembered as corrupt, that is all. Nothing else.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess that Lance has the "goods" on Ochowicz, & told him to start dripping the bad news on Heiny, or he would go under the Oprah bus as well.....

It looks pretty clear which path the $500k sweetner for the 1999 Cortisone stitch-up job took..... :rolleyes:

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Toast Hein

This one part of the article should be enough to toast Hein;

In a 2008 interview with the Journal, Verbruggen said he had never been involved in a business relationship with Ochowicz and Weisel.

Hein becoming toxic and the IOC really hates it when people start asking questions that are backed up with facts.

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
IPO's from Weisel's firm to Heins account= big $

i would think his monthly account statements would show he benefited greatly from hot stock IPO's that weisels firms underwrote. these shares are typically handed to "prized" clients as a thank you on Wall Street.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
When the Weasel bankrolled an attempt to get the Summer Olympics in San Fransisco, he probably thought that he had the IOC votes in the bank. Literally.

thorny59 said:
i would think his monthly account statements would show he benefited greatly from hot stock IPO's that weisels firms underwrote. these shares are typically handed to "prized" clients as a thank you on Wall Street.

This. That is how the money would have been funneled to Verbruggen. No brown paper bags of cash necessary.

tofino said:
This one part of the article should be enough to toast Hein;

In a 2008 interview with the Journal, Verbruggen said he had never been involved in a business relationship with Ochowicz and Weisel.

Hein becoming toxic and the IOC really hates it when people start asking questions that are backed up with facts.

Nope. This is the IOC. Money talks and Hein makes the IOC good money. Being directly involved in corruption and managing it well is the halmark of a senior Olympic official. Hein got SportAccord off the ground too.

If the scandalous stories start to include the IOC, that's when things might end for Hein. Until then, it's all good. I post stuff about the IOC when I have spare time here: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=15550 Go to the last page. An excellent summary of IOC members and their scandals is posted there.

BroDeal said:
This. That is how the money would have been funneled to Verbruggen. No brown paper bags of cash necessary.

Good call. That Thom Wiesel is a smart guy. I hope they didn't exchange emails about it on the brokerage email account. Data retention laws might help catch this guy.

SEC and related agencies won't do anything about it from their side.

TRENDING THREADS